Feb
2012

The “I Don’t Feel Like Making Dinner” Dinner

Tags: ,

Dinner

Pin It!

You know every night those nights when you just do NOT feel like making dinner and you are tempted to get out the cold cereal and frozen waffles?

Well, this dinner takes a whole 5 minutes of prep and is done in 30 minutes total.  I didn’t even use a separate bowl to mix the ingredients, just threw everything into the casserole, stirred and stuck in the oven.  My family ate this, loved it and even finished the leftovers. Think green chili chicken enchiladas, but waaaaay simpler.  No fuss at all.

This was an actual night I didn’t feel like making dinner, hence the minimal photos but I picked myself up and snapped a few photos for ya.  Enjoy friends!  xoxo

Green Chili Enchilada Bake (aka) I Don’t Feel Like Making Dinner

1 cup mild green enchilada sauce
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
3/4 cup salsa verde, mild
12 white corn tortillas broken into 1 inch pieces
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast

One 15 ounce can black beans, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Place enchilada sauce, sour cream and salsa into prepared baking sheet. Stir until well combined.

3. Stir in broken tortillas, chicken or turkey and black beans. Stir to combine and top evenly with cheese.
4. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until cheese is hot and melted. Serve with chips and salsa if desired.

Makes 8 servings

_______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon!

Comments

For someone who didn’t feel like making dinner, you sure made a beauty and such gorgeous photos…that I’m guessing were not taken at 630pm with dinner hour lighting :) Otherwise, I need to use the lights you’re using!

And that plate is gorgeous!

Jessica says:

My Mom used to make a version of this growing up…we called it King Ranch Chicken. It was always so filling and is total comfort food!

Kathryn says:

I love meals like this where you just throw it all in a pot. My go to is pasta so it’s good to have an alternative!

Sandy Hall says:

This looks yummy and similar to the layered enchiladas I make in the crock pot. Just put a little sauce on the bottom of greased crock pot, then layer chicken (i like to mix it w/a little cream cheese, cumin and sauce), sprinkle w/cheese and then another tortilla – about 5 layers in total. Top with sauce and then put lid on for 4-6 hours. You can sprinkle with more cheese when serving but it’s so tasty it really doesn’t need it :)
    Not much more prep time then you listed, but ready to go from the crock pot is awesome!

This is definitely going on the list of things to try as I quite often don’t feel like making dinner. :)

ah yes, i need more of these dinners in my life. after working all day there’s just something about making dinner that – even if i don’t want to do it – feels good when you’re sitting down to a great meal!

This would be perfect after a hard workout because man there are just some nights I can’t get jazzed to make dinner when I can barely lift my arms!

Noel Chapman says:

Fabulous meal idea for those busy weeknights families have so often. Meal Planning can help on so many levels. One very important thing to keep in mind with every Meal Plan you create, is to be realistic about your time. Great recipe!

love these types of dishes! So easy and delicious

This sounds & looks amazing! I’ve definitely been in the “I don’t feel like cooking mood” lately. I have to try this :)

heather bell says:

I have a dinner similar to this that is my favorite ever!! Love that you can get it together during nap time.=) http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/2011/11/happy-birthday-to-me-mexican-chicken.html

Joyce says:

Do I see black beans in there? If so, did you use the whole can?

GinaE says:

I did the same thing last night only a beef version. Lean ground beef, rotel tomatoes, sharp cheddar and basically the same things you used for the rest of the dish. Either way, it’s a winner!

Bev Weidner says:

Done and done and done times a billion.

Kristy says:

Ooh looks good! Can’t wait to try : )

Connie says:

Hey, I make something similar, except I use corn instead of beans and Monterey Jack in place of the cheddar. Either way, super simple especially when made with store bought rotisserie chicken. Love this go-to meal.

I am pregnant and for the last 4 months, I have lived primarily on things like cereal and frozen waffles. As a food blogger, i used to make great epic meals a couple times a week. I’ve begun to consider pasta an epic meal. God help me be normal again soon so that I can cook again! :)

Heather F says:

this looks so tasty and maybe my kids will eat it!! They are very suspicious of anything new lately!

This looks so good and easy. You made enchiladas a whole lot easier. I love Mexican food. Great job!

Cassie says:

I totally don’t feel like making dinner tonight. I think I’m going to scour my pantry to see if I have everything for this, yum!

Kristy says:

This casserole looks fab but I really want to know where you got the gorgeous dishes!

You won me over by saying one pot – - no dishes (YAY!!) – - delicious (YAY!!). This is one of those secret weapon recipes I must keep on hand for nights I don’t feel like doing anything at all :)

This looks so easy and TASTY! We love Mexican dishes! :)

Marti says:

This sounds amazingly good and easy. Can’t wait to try it.
    Marta

Heather says:

I made this tonight and it was delicious! We spiced it up a little by adding a small can of chopped jalapenos(drained). I loved tearing up the tortillas-I think it tasted exactly the same as when you roll them all up! So needless to say, I’ll be doing it your way in the future!! :-) Thanks!

I like it. It’s always good have some of these in your back pocket on those nights when the frozen waffles and cereal are beckoning.

andi says:

Made this last night and it was delicious! You have some amazing recipes! Keep them coming!!!!

Kim B. says:

Looks AMAZING!! Can’t wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing :)

[...] Leftover chicken is also great for casseroles, and I especially like the sound of this green chile enchilada bake, which takes just one dish and 5 minutes of prep time. With enchilada sauce, salsa verde, black beans and corn tortillas, this casserole has a definite south-of-the-border flavor — and if you’ve already had enough chicken for the week, you can substitute turkey, instead. (Picky Palate) [...]

patsy says:

Ilove how this goes together so fast and with minimal fuss! I am going to have to keep this recipe handy for one of those crazy busy nights when I don’t feel like making dinner or just don’t have the time to make the usual dinner. Yum!

I made this last night. It was SUPER yummy, my boys and hubby loved it. I added some corn for crunch and use medium salsa for a little spice. Thanks so much, I will for sure be making this again!

[...] post a recipe that we both made. This week’s recipe was Green Chili Enchilada Bake found over at Picky Palate. Printable recipe can be found at the bottom of this [...]

[...] dish from Picky Palate (awesome website, btw) combines the tangy flavors of salsa verde and green chili enchilada sauce, [...]

[...] set the timer to 30 minutes and got to fixin’ dinner… spoiler alert, Iowa Girl Eats and Picky Palate aren’t fibbing, 30 tops, and easy [...]

Julia says:

Just made this tonight, with green taco sauce instead since I couldn’t find the right kind of enchilada sauce. So good, thank you! Posting to my blog tomorrow.

[...] Chili Enchilada Bake adapted from The Picky Palate Serves [...]

CAS says:

This is just what the Dr. ordered for tonight’s meal! Thanks for sharing! Due date must be just around the corner — hope you are feeling well!

[...] Green Chili Enchilada Bake – This one takes 5 minutes to prep and the rest is baking history. Add chicken or turkey breast for a little protein and enjoy! [...]

Donna says:

Just made this. Hubby really liked it, so I can definitely recommend it. :)

Jodi says:

I was wondering if refried beans would work in this recipe? If so do you think it would be good with both refried beans and black? Also when would you add the refried beans do you think? Thanks for your help!

Christina says:

Hi Jenny! I am wondering if making this the morning before baking would be any issue? I wanted to make this early so I could just pop it in the oven when I got home from work. My only thought was that the tortillas might become too soggy or breakdown, but maybe that’s okay. Can’t wait to try this one – it looks fantastic! Thanks for your help in advance!