Feb
2012

Red Velvet Sheet Cake with Nutella Fudge Icing

Desserts

Pin It!

How fun is red velvet cake?!  It really is so stunning.  This jazzed up cake mix sheet cake is so simple to prepare you will have it on your table in no time at all.  Did I mention that I iced it with a Nutella Fudge like icing?  Let’s just say you are in for a treat today!

I am loving my new red cake stand that I found from my friend Lindsey from high school.  She makes them herself and they are adorable.  Check out her blog Sweet Stax to pick some up for yourself!

Here’s your line-up folks.  Nice and easy.

I love this recipe for so many reasons, but one is that you just dump it into the mixer.  No particular order.

I add a small box of vanilla pudding mix.

Add it right to the mixer.

….milk, sour cream and some oil.

4 fabulous eggs.

Ready to mix!

How pretty is this?!

Pour your batter onto your prepared baking sheet.  Please spray with cooking spray before :)

Give her a nice even spread.

Like so :)

Baked!  Now hurry, time to make the icing!

Your icing consists of Nutella and sweetened condensed milk.  I doubled what you see here.

Warm in the microwave and give a good mix.

Time to drizzle over your warm cake.

Ahhhh!

Now dig in!

Red Velvet Sheet Cake with Nutella Fudge Icing

1 box red velvet cake mix

1 3.4 ounce box vanilla instant pudding mix

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup sour cream

4 large eggs

1 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup Nutella

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a half sheet 13×18 inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  I lined my baking sheet with a silpat liner, the cake can be done with or without it.

2. Place cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, sour cream and eggs into mixer and mix until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 25-32 minutes, until baked through. Remove from oven and start icing.

3. Place sweetened condensed milk and nutella into a microwave safe dish and heat for 30 seconds, or until smooth when stirred. Drizzle icing over warm cake spreading oven entire cake. Let cool for 20 minutes then cut into squares with a plastic knife.

Makes 24 servings

______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Amanda says:

Oh my gosh, how amazing does this look?? Love how quick and easy that frosting is! You amaze me, girl!! xoxo

Did you know it was National Nutella Day on Sunday? Don’t quote me on that but I read it on 3 or 4 different blogs and I took their words for it so your timing is perfect :)

I love how you just warmed the Nutella in the microwave and poured. That’s my kind of frosting: EASY!

And I love that it’s just dump in, in no particular order, and mix. Your recipes are always great for that!

Kathryn says:

Wow, the colour is so perfect for valentines day!

Yum!! I think this is one of the best red velvet’s I’ve seen ever, because of that Nutella icing. Looks so good!

TidyMom says:

lol, me you and Lori all did Red Velvet today!
    This looks delicious Jenny!! I topped my crepes with Nutella too!!

oooooh, the colors are so gorgeous! i’ve never had red velvet with anything but cream cheese frosting…maybe it’s time to branch out :)

This looks so amazing!! I’m officially inspired to make a sheet cake

Love this dessert! Perfect for V-day! I posted a red velvet treat today too:)

Girl you are amazing!! Loving up the color of this FUN cake :)

What a delicious idea for a sheet cake! So pretty!

nutella fudge icing??? amazing.

Such a fun sheet cake recipe! And that icing? Oh my!

Deborah says:

Love the combination of red velvet and nutella!

I want to take a bath in that frosting.

That isn’t creepy, is it?

I love how vibrant that cake is, gorgeous!

Aww, what a shame, I’ve got a vat of Nutella and sweetened condensed milk on hand. Would it be wrong to dip my hand in it and eat it that way?

Cassie says:

This is crazy gorgeous! Great combo of flavors. Oh yeah, I’m in love with that red cake stand!

Jessica says:

Will you be my Valentine Jenny?! I totally want to dive right into these!

Lauren says:

This looks so so incredible!! I’m seriously craving this now!

This looks so delicious..and i love the pretty red! :)

Looks amazing. Who would have thought of nutella and sweetened condensed milk icing. Wow. When you pour the icing on it looks thin, but the frosting seems to have thickened up. Lovely!

Taylor says:

Hey Jenny! I love your blog, and EVERYTHING I’ve ever made has turned out wonderfully – and I’ve made a ton! =) Quick question, I’ve never used a silpat liner – do you still have to grease/spray it? Thank you!

heather says:

Oh, so heavenly! I’m trying this one for sure!

drool!! these look and sounds perfect for Valentine!!! love sheet cakes too :) YUM

So simple. SO delicious – - totally my kind of cake!! And the contrast of colours between the cake and icing … gorgeous!! Also, let’s not even start with ting icing … nutella … fudge – - YUM

Red Velvet really is so much fun! I need to make more sheet cake. So much more fun and homey than layer cakes :)

Joss says:

my 2 fave things in life…red velvet cake + nutella…LOVE!!!

Summer says:

Wow. Looks delicious! How does the frosting set-up? Does it stay soft or firm up?

This cake looks amazing.

I don’t even particularly like boxed cake mixes, but time after time you tempt me to try out your concoctions (oops, creations) and, you know, they’re not half bad!

Stefanie says:

Beautiful cake! And a nutella icing, omg!! Perfect Valentine’s day treat!!

Sherry says:

Jenny, I was wondering if I would have to alter the recipe if I used a 9×13 baking pan?

Tickled Red says:

That’s it! I need some for breakfast, my coffee needs a Valentine ;D

This looks so delicious! Funny, cause I just made a chocolate texas sheet cake for my daughters birthday last night. This red velvet one looks wonderful!

I LOVE it when frosting gets that crackly look. It makes me drool!

Nikki says:

YUM!! That looks like nothing but pure heaven. And here I was looking all forward to treating myself to a Skinny Cow ice cream … now methinks I need to run to the store for supplies!

Savannah says:

I don’t know if you’ll do this or not but I’ll share it with you anyways! :]
    I have awarded you the Best Food Idea Award because I love your blog, recipes and you! Follow these steps:

1. Thank the person that nominated you, and give a shout out on your blog with a link to theirs.
    2. Share 7 random facts about yourself.
    3. Send the blog award to 15 other bloggers whose blog you love and appreciate and let them know they won the award.

Even if you don’t I totally understand! Another blogger started this and it would be cool to see how far it goes, plus it helps out fellow bloggers.

I love your Recipes!!!

xo
    Savannah

Monica says:

I made this to take to school and share with my coworkers, but my husband saw it and asked if he could have a piece. I said sure since it wasn’t for anything special at school. He then proceeded to have a second piece and say, “THIS IS DELICIOUS!!” My husband doesn’t like desserts! I was amazed. Then when I got up this morning, I saw that yet another piece was missing. Goodness…guess I’ll only take half of the cake to school. hehe

Veronica says:

I made this delicious cake today! The icing, perfectly sweet, the cake rich and moist. YUM!

Tammy says:

red velvet cake + nutella=ingenious. Yummy!

MikeVFMK says:

I know red velvet seems to be getting some backlash lately but I don’t get it. This looks ridiculously good, Jenny! And the red colour is stunning! Now if only I saw this when it was posted I could have been there eating it by now. Love it.

Hi! I am looking to make these for Valentine’s day and was wondering if you think these would work as well if made into cupcakes or in a heart shaped silicon cake tray? I am not against using a baking sheet, but I need to be able to take them with me so any transport tips would also be appreciated! :)

Jacks says:

Just made this today! It’s going to be a great ending to my Valentine’s dinner tonight!!

Liz Cook says:

I made this last weekend but didn’t have Nutella so I used Biscoff spread instead for the icing. It turned out great!

Sherry says:

Made for Valentines Day and it was a huge hit! Fabulous!

Natalie says:

This cake is amazing! I just made this last night but substituted applesauce for the oil and greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It only took 18 minutes to bake.

Amanda says:

I read the directions wrong where you mentioned that you doubled the icing ingredients, meaning you doubled what was actually in the picture. Thought you meant you doubled the actual ingredients. Yup. I have a huge measuring cup of icing. :-/ Haven’t tried them yet, but the icing is amazing! LOL

Courtney says:

WOW! I don’t ever like red velvet but these are making my mouth water. What a creative combination!

[...] 5. Whilst cooling, make your filling. Place the condensed milk into a microwavable bowl. Add the Nutella and microwave for about 30 seconds, or until smooth when stirred. I got this idea from here. [...]

[...] my need for pancakes, but I’d only make them again if milk were in short supply. 29. Red Velvet Sheet Cake with Nutella Frosting: I made this for an event at work and it was ok. I didn’t think it was anything spectacular, [...]