Aug
2012

Three Cheese and Sausage Homemade Mac and Cheese

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

For those of you who asked for my Three Cheese and Sausage Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe from Instagram, here you go!!  This was one of those days where I wasn’t planning on sharing the recipe, but I better plan on it if I share the photo on Instagram :)  You’ll just have to forgive the lack of step by step photos for these.

This is a great mac and cheese that serves a crowd or large family.  If you’ve got a small family then it’s great for leftovers.  It’s full of great cheesy flavor with bits of Italian Sausage throughout.  If you’ve never made a roux before you can see some step by step photos from my Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Bake.  It’s very easy so no worries.

Hope you enjoy!!

• 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tapatio or Tabasco
  • 2 cups shredded Gouda Cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Brown sausage until cooked and crumbled. Drain if necessary and set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain water and run under cool water. Set pasta aside.
  2. Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until thick and bubbly. Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high and keep whisking until milk becomes nice and thick. Once thick, reduce heat to low and stir in mozzarella and cheddar cheese until smooth and creamy. Stir in sausage and cooked pasta. Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with shredded Gouda cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and hot. Serve warm.

Makes 6-8 servings

Comments

Hello, comfort food! This would cure any bad day.

Melissa says:

Looks yummy! But I don’t see flour listed in the ingredients, how much did you use for the roux? Thanks

Oh my heavens — all that wonderful cheese!!! Looks so delicious and comforting. :)

Omg this looks heavenly :) I love the added flavor of the gouda! Looks delicious!

My hubby would love this one, Jenny!

My husband would be all over this!

OMG! I want to crawl up in that bed of ooey gooey cheesy goodness. And I seriously love using ground sausage–yum!

Jai says:

Yum! Mac and Cheese is my fav and this is an awesome twist! Thanks!

Mrs. Jen B says:

Oh my goodness! Perfect for fall! I’m almost afraid to attempt it, though – since I know I’d want to eat every bite myself! ;)

I am a big fan of leftovers! This one looks great Jenny! Love it :)

the cheesiness will END me – i love this!

Rachel says:

Yum!!! If you’d like to health-ify this recipe a bit check out the Baked Pumpkin & Sausage Rigatoni recipe in the September Family Circle issue, very similar to this, but with an added can of pumpkin and less cheese. I just tried it and it was amazing–my husband does NOT like pumpkin and he thought it was pretty good. And since your kids already expect Mac n cheese to be orange, they might not even notice ;)

Mac and cheese is my weakness.. I love trying new recipes for it :)

OMG! That looks so comforting, Jenny :)

This looks really great! Fabulous!

Sara Kamla says:

This looks asolutely fabulous!

Love homemade mac and cheese and this recipe looks perfect! Thank you for sharing :)

[...] three cheese and sausage homemade mac and cheese. /* [...]

Tris says:

Just a question… If we’re not able to eat Italian Sausage because of religious reasons, what’s a good non pork substitute for it?

I like any and all versions of mac and cheese – going to have to try this one :) It looks so good!

Kim in MD says:

Wow…this looks amazing, Jenny! I’m so glad you decided to share this, even without the step-by-step photos you normally would normally post! :-)

Delicious! I love adding sausage to my baked ziti. Definitely throwing some into my favorite mac n’ cheese next time!

Anything with sausage is a win in my book, looks gooey and perfect!

OrGreenic says:

Thanks for the three cheese and sausage homemade macaroni and cheese recipe. This would be great to have if you were entertaining guests.

Lesleigh says:

Do think this would work if I made it up a day in advance and just kept it in the frig? It looks so good but wirh working full time and commuting life is so much easier when I can make things in advance.

sweetpumpkin says:

WOW! This is so yummy! I tried this with some turkey Italian sausage and my sweet husband said that he couldn’t tell the difference. The only mistake I made was the hot sauce. As I was pouring it into the pan I noticed the bottle of hot sauce on the counter. I went back to read the directions and saw that it was not there either :) Next time I will add it into the sauce before the adding the cheese. Let me know if that is not where I should be placing it :)

Whitney Hawthorne says: