Three Cheese and Sausage Homemade Mac and Cheese
For those of you who asked for my Three Cheese and Sausage Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe from Instagram, here you go!! This was one of those days where I wasn’t planning on sharing the recipe, but I better plan on it if I share the photo on Instagram You’ll just have to forgive the lack of step by step photos for these.
This is a great mac and cheese that serves a crowd or large family. If you’ve got a small family then it’s great for leftovers. It’s full of great cheesy flavor with bits of Italian Sausage throughout. If you’ve never made a roux before you can see some step by step photos from my Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Bake. It’s very easy so no worries.
Hope you enjoy!!
Three Cheese and Sausage Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 lb dry elbow noodles
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tapatio or Tabasco
- 2 cups shredded Gouda Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Brown sausage until cooked and crumbled. Drain if necessary and set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain water and run under cool water. Set pasta aside.
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until thick and bubbly. Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high and keep whisking until milk becomes nice and thick. Once thick, reduce heat to low and stir in mozzarella and cheddar cheese until smooth and creamy. Stir in sausage and cooked pasta. Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with shredded Gouda cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and hot. Serve warm.
Makes 6-8 servings