Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon
Tags: bacon, cast iron skillet, cheese, quick and easy, rice, weeknight dinner
My Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon makes for a flavorful quick fix weeknight dinner the whole family loves!
You are in for such a treat with my Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon recipe!
This dinner makes me so happy. It’s pure comfort food in a skillet, so you might want to make it asap for your family. You are likely to have most of the ingredients in your pantry which is always nice! I honestly use my cast iron skillet on a weekly basis. They run about $20 bucks!
This is a nice and thick rice dish that is hearty and rich. I like to top mine with a few dashes of hot sauce, oh baby it’s good! Hope you enjoy friends 🙂
Let’s render the bacon. I chose the applewood smoked bacon, highly recommend it!
Nice and crispy 🙂
Making The Roux
You guys are going to be pros at making roux, I’ve been using my cheese sauce so much lately.
Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper then slowly whisk in the chicken broth.
Once the chicken broth is nice and thick, add your cheese. Mix until smooth.
Add a few dashes of hot sauce. Any of your favorite brand works.
Give a nice stir.
Add Your Rice
Once your bacon fat is drained from skillet, add 2 tablespoons back to pan and add your cooked rice.
Add 2 cups cooked shredded chicken.
Time to add the cheese sauce baby!
Give a nice mix.
Add a little more cheese on top.
Now…add that cooked, crumbled bacon to the top and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Ahhhh, there we go 🙂 Enjoy!
Tips for Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner With Bacon
*Rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe and saves cooking time.
*Pre-cook your bacon or use microwave bacon for extra time saving.
*Add your favorite chopped vegetables to the rice, any of your favorites taste great! I’d give them a quick saute before adding.
- 1/2 pound Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 cups steamed white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Render bacon, drain and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to high whisking broth until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir in hot sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and set aside.
- Place reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings back to cast iron skillet. Stir in cooked rice. Add chicken and cheese sauce, mixing to combine. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese then top with crumbled cooked bacon. Place under oven's broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board!
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.