This Cheesy Chicken Bacon and Rice Casserole is so delicious and easy to prepare. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, but it would also make a great breakfast or lunch!
Cheesy Chicken Bacon and Rice Casserole
This dinner makes me so happy. It’s pure comfort food in a skillet, so you might want to make it asap for your family. You are likely to have most of the ingredients in your pantry which is always nice! I honestly use my cast iron skillet on a weekly basis. They run about $20 bucks!
This is a nice and thick rice dish that is hearty and rich. I like to top mine with a few dashes of hot sauce, oh baby it’s good! Hope you enjoy friends 🙂
Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Let’s render the bacon. I chose the applewood smoked bacon, highly recommend it!
Nice and crispy 🙂
You guys are going to be pros at making roux, I’ve been using my cheese sauce so much lately.
Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper then slowly whisk in the chicken broth.
Once the chicken broth is nice and thick, add your cheese. Mix until smooth.
Add a few dashes of hot sauce. Any of your favorite brand works.
Give a nice stir.
Once your bacon fat is drained from skillet, add 2 tablespoons back to pan and add your cooked rice.
Add 2 cups cooked shredded chicken.
Time to add the cheese sauce baby!
Give a nice mix.
Add a little more cheese on top.
Now…add that cooked, crumbled bacon to the top and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Ahhhh, there we go 🙂 Enjoy!
Tips for Making this Cheesy Chicken Casserole
*Rotisserie chicken works great in this recipe and saves cooking time.
*Pre-cook your bacon or use microwave bacon for extra time saving.
*Add your favorite chopped vegetables to the rice, any of your favorites taste great! I’d give them a quick saute before adding.
Cheesy Chicken Bacon and Rice Casserole
- 1/2 pound Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 cups steamed white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Render bacon, drain and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to high whisking broth until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir in hot sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and set aside.
- Place reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings back to cast iron skillet. Stir in cooked rice. Add chicken and cheese sauce, mixing to combine. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese then top with crumbled cooked bacon. Place under oven's broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Oh my goodness this looks amazing. Cheese, bacon, chicken. Yes please!
Made this for dinner *again* last night. It’s always a favorite. Seriously, you cannot go wrong with this recipe!!
has anyone tried making this recipe with quinoa instead of rice?
Made this for the second time last night. LOVE IT!! It seems like a long and involved process, but it really doesn’t take all that long (especially if you go the lazy man’s route and bake your bacon like I did).
This is the ultimate comfort food dish. Will definitely make again (and again, and again)!!
Just made this for dinner tonight, yummy! I’ll certainly make it again!
I am SO making this for dinner tonight!!
We just made this dish tonight.. it turned out fabulous!
OMG it looks SOOO GOOD!
Hey there I am so thrilled I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while
I was searching on Bing for something else, Anyhow
I am here now and would just like to say thanks
a lot for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it
and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read much more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.
I have to say, I’m not a fan of rice (I know, I know, how can you not like rice? I just don’t 🙂 ) I will be making this tomorrow! It looks delicious! Even with the rice!i hope it comes out as good as yours looks!! Thanks for sharing!!