Nov
2012

Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Dinner

How is it already November?!  My sweet baby boy is already 9 weeks old!  I am loving being a new mom again, it’s the sweetest job in the whole world.  He gets a front row seat in the kitchen in his sling wrapped with mama :) For those of you on Instagram make sure you find me (@pickypalate or Jenny Flake), I post lots of pictures of Paxton :)  Ok, let’s talk soup shall we?  Today is pumpkin soup.

Is there anything more comforting than a nice warm bowl of soup in the Fall months?!  It’s one of my favorite things to make when I’ve got some time in the kitchen.  I love chopping all the vegetables and organizing the ingredients knowing the goodness that’s ahead.

This is a relatively simple soup to prepare, just a little chopping of some veggies (unless you get the pre-chopped ones at your grocery store) and some cooked chicken and the rest is easy.

Let’s take a look.

Here are your simple ingredients.  I saved myself a little time by getting the pre-chopped veggies from my grocery store.

You can either get a rotisserie chicken and shred it, or bake 2 large chicken breasts in a small baking dish with 1/4 cup of chicken broth covered with foil 350 degrees for about 50-60  minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before shredding.

If you are not a cilantro fan, use parsley as a substitute.

Alright, time to sautee the veggies.  Celery to start.

Don’t forget your carrots and onions.

Love these vibrant colors.

Once your veggies are softened, add your chicken and chicken broth.

Add your pumpkin and cream.

Time for the salt, pepper, garlic salt and cilantro!

Save the best for last….some cheese please :)  This soup is a creamy dream.  It’s thick, chunky yet creamy and fabulous.  The pumpkin is savory and subtle.  This is one of our newest favorite recipes.  Hope you enjoy!

Ahhh, dig in!

This color!  It’s so perfect for Fall right?

Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup

• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots, stirring and cooking for about 15 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, chicken broth, pumpkin, cream, salt, pepper, garlic salt and cilantro. Stir to combine. When hot, stir in cheese to melt. Taste and season accordingly with additional seasonings if desired.

Makes 8 Servings

Comments

Great idea to mix up chicken soup, Jenny! I love making soups with pumpkin – it adds such a nice heartiness and density and pumps up the flavor!

This soup looks awesome! Such a welcome change from regular chicken soup; can’t wait to give it a try!

I LOVE seeing your pictures of Paxton on Instagram!

And so funny…we are having pumpkin soup for dinner TONIGHT! Kinda wish I’d seen your recipe before I went to the grocery store. NEXT time! Looks fabulous!

Looks perfect for next weekend… when it FINALLY looks as if it might be a little chilly!

Julia says:

I have all of these things in my pantry already! Sounds like I know what I am making tonight. Looks delicious.

I love all your photos of sweet Paxton…it helps tide me over until Lucy gets here (which feels like is taking FOREVVVVERRRRRR).

This soup is so perfect for Fall. You have the best dinner recipes!!

Deborah says:

I love the addition of pumpkin!!

Kristin says:

Anyway to lighten this up a bit? What can we substitute for the heavy cream?

seriously delicious – this one’s getting pinned!

This sounds amazing, Jenny! I love the fall flavors here.

I love that this is simple and uses common ingredients, but is still different enough! It looks absolutely delicious!

Love the addition of chicken! That way you can make it a meal on it’s own :)

Jess says:

I could eat a HUGE bowl of this right now! :)

What a perfect fall soup! Love the flavors!

Cece says:

What size is your Dutch oven? Looks delish! I might have to make it this weekend since it suppose to rain!

I absolutely love your blog! Added it to my blogroll. :)

Madeleine says:

This looks FABULOUS! So creative :)

I make a soup similar to this every Thanksgiving, but I love the idea of transitioning it into fall weeknights with chicken! Thanks for sharing, Jenny!

Congratulations on 9 weeks!! My son is 12 weeks old, and it just keeps getting more and more fun. His smiles are just the best ever and make the sleepless nights totally worth it :) Glad to hear that your son is doing well!!

Erin says:

Aaahhhh! Just made your Skillet Candy Bar Baked Cookie thingy and blogged about it. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

carrian says:

This looks and sounds delicious! I always have pumpkin leftover after thanksgiving and now I can use it up in a healthier way!

Konae Putman says:

Is it really 3 tablespoons garlic? I am going to try this, it seems like that would be a whole head.

This should be the official soup of Fall!

[...] hearty chicken pumpkin soup looks divine! (@ Picky [...]

Elen Grey says:

RESandy put a link to this recipe up on her Facebook page. I sprinted right over. I’ll be making this for sure. Love the addition of pumpkin. Yum.

Gina says:

Just made this for dinner last night and our family LOVED it!! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Whoa! Looks good. I’m making this. I like to sub plain kefir for heavy cream in most recipes and this looks like it would work in this one. I only have pumpkin pie mix in a can so I’ll bake up some winter squash in place of canned pumpkin. Great inspiration!

Tanya says:

This soup is fabulous! Even my husband, who usually hates pumpkin, thought it was great. Also, our 10 month old loved it!

This soup is going to be my new favorite..I just know it :)

Meghan says:

I made this the other night and WOW is it delicious. It warms you down to your toes. I had two heaping bowlfuls because I couldn’t get enough! I’m in love with this recipe.

[...] Monday ~ Start the week off with some cozy and Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup from Picky Palate. [...]

tara says:

Ahhhmazing! We gobbled this up like little turkeys! Thanks for the perfect fall soup!

[...] Sunday Breakfast – Waffles Lunch – Leftovers Dinner – Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup  [...]

Janelle says:

I know using milk instead of cream would leave it thinner, but would it still be good??

Ali says:

I just attempted this recipe substituting Heavy Cream with Light Cream and cut the shredded cheese portion in half. It was delicious! Two thumbs up from my fiance, which is a huge compliment. Thank you!

[...] Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup-http://picky-palate.com/2012/11/05/hearty-chicken-pumpkin-soup/ [...]

Michele says:

Me and my husband are OBSESSED with this soup… Would it work to make it in a crock pot?!

[…] Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup […]

Melanie says:

New favorite here! Seriously, it’s delicious! I wouldn’t change anything :) Ah, I did it with fresh pumpkin instead of canned. But well, it’s the season, right? :)

Marty says:

I made this for dinner tonight with a couple of minor changes and got the thumbs up from everyone.
    I used fresh pumpkin and I added a cup each of diced capsicum, mushrooms, peas and corn.

We will definitely be having this again.

[…] Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup -adding chopped spinach […]

Tara says:

Thank you for this great recipe! I found you by googling “hearty pumpkin soup.” I was looking for a soup w/o a tomato base, so my son who just had his wisdom teeth removed could eat it. I actually had most of the ingredients on hand, so I gave it a shot (altering it a little to make it dairy free for my food-allergic kiddos).

I pureed a bowl of the finished soup so my son wouldn’t have to chew at all, and the rest of us ate the regular chunky version….he scarfed it down and asked for another bowl! And, true to your name, my really picky eaters also liked it! I’ll definitely be looking into your other recipes!

[…] Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup -Serving with tortilla chips […]