Nov
2012

Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Tags: ,

Cookies

I had so much fun developing this massive cookie with all kinds of goodness packed inside.  I have teamed up with my good friend Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod today to share with you two amazing Oreo recipes that will be perfect for your Holiday baking this month!  Maria is using the Gingerbread Oreos, “Gingerbread Oreo Blondies” and I chose the Candy Cane Oreos for my cookies.  Can’t go wrong with either of these right?!

If you haven’t tried these Candy Cane Oreos, you are in for a treat.  You definitely must get a hold of them.  They have just the right amount of peppermint cream and when mixed in the cookie dough, it turned the most lovely red.  So festive!

Aren’t they pretty?!

You know that I love my chocolate chunks, I found this great bloc chocolate at Trader Joes, but any variety will work.

Now that’s a lovely sight to see :)

Cream your butter and sugars to start.

Vanilla!

Add your egg.

Time for the dry ingredients!

Add those gorgeous chocolate chunks.

….and those fabulous Candy Cane Oreos.

Gorgeous right?!

Try baking these in a muffin top pan, talk about a gorgeous cookie!  They work as a drop cookie too :)

Perfect for any cookie exchange or for gift giving.  Enjoy!

Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Cany Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies 1 t Ingredients

• 1 stick/8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 Cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 Cup all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspooon baking soda
  • 12 Candy Cane Oreo Cookies
  • 1 1/2 Cups chocolate chunks

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line your baking sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.
  2. Cream your butter and sugars into your stand mixer. Add your egg and vanilla beating to combine. Slowly add flour, salt and baking soda until combined then add your crushed Oreo Cookies and chocolate chunks. Scoop about 3 tablespoons of dough into each muffin top pan or 2 tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet. For muffin top pan bake for 15 minutes until golden or if baking on baking sheet, bake for 10-13 minutes, until golden.
  3. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Makes 12 large cookies

This post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but opinions are my own.

Comments

[...] that are perfect for the holiday season! I made Gingerbread Oreo Blondies and Jenny whipped up Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Both of these festive Oreo treats need to be added to your holiday baking list. They are fun for [...]

Great looking cookies, Jenny! And you make me want to dust off my little muffin top pan! Perfect holiday flavors with these :)

Looks so delicious… ’tis the season for peppermint!

A perfect Christmas-y recipe! I’ll have the see if my store is carrying these holiday oreos..

The last image with the chocolate coming over the cake …. yuuuum…

Courtney says:

Oh my…….yum……. can someone please call my boss and tell him I’m not coming in today because I have to stay home and bake these????

I am feeling the urge to pull out my muffin top pan and make cookies now:-) Our Walmart doesn’t have those candy cane Oreos anymore…I was actually looking for them yesterday!!!

Morgan says:

I am speechless. I love the idea of chopping up chocolate instead of using chips. Extra gooey chocolate-ness! :)

I haven’t seen those Oreo’s yet, time for a trip to the store!!

I love these, Jenny! So festive for the holidays and as a deep dish cookie, so scrumptious!

Lina says:

Does target have those oreos?

amazing!!! ps love the color of your mixer!

Laura says:

These look awesome, and so do the Gingerbread Oreo Blondies. What do you like to bring to a cookie exchange? I know not everyone likes mint, or nuts, or coconut…the list goes on…what’s a great crowd-pleaser? Thanks!

Oh wow, I wish they sold all the festive Oreo’s in the UK! These look so delicious!

Sarah says:

I have never heard of muffin top pans! Where can I find them? I would love to try these.

These look beyond yummy! I haven’t seen those Oreos in my grocery store, but I’ll definitely have to keep an eye out for them to make this recipe :).

These look absolutely fantastic! I always love your Oreo recipes, and I think we may even get these peppermint ones in Canada. I’ll definitely have to check it out so I can try these.

I love that pan! It is so perfect for cookies. I need to get one :) These cookies look so amazing!

Melissa H from So. Fla. says:

I absolutely love your site! One of my very good friends just purchased your cookbook and she’s been raving about it all weekend. (It’s on my Santa list) ;)

Thanks for sharing such awesome recipes. I love a site where recipes are overly complicated. Makes cooking and baking much much easier.

Melissa

Sibylle says:

What a funny Oreo version!! Very cool! Don’t think we can get that here in Germany…

Love this! You sure are making my holidays brighter. First of all, I never knew about Candy Cane Oreos before reading this recipe. So color me happy! And second of all, I just bought your cookbook as a Christmas gift, and it is even better than I could have imagined. Although, now I’ll have to buy another one as a gift, because I’m keeping this one for myself! Thanks for everything!

How fun are these?! Love it. I’m asking for a muffin top pan for Christmas. Do you use yours often?

Nancy P. says:

These look so great! Can’t wait to try them!

Kim says:

I cannot wait to make this recipe, but more importantly, I can’t wait to find those Oreos!

Maggie says:

Perfect! I just happened to pick up a package of these oreos at Target last night lol. Now I know what I’ll do with them!

Leslie says:

What kind of chocolate did you use….dark, semi sweet, milk???

Stephie says:

OMG! These look so delcious! I will definitely be trying them out this Christmas season. I love the color of your KitchenAid :)

Fanny says:

One more recipe I’ll have to try ! Looks yummy !

[...] Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Picky Palate // Easy Peppermint Fudge from I Wash…You Dry // Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes from Cooking Classy // Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows from Cooking Classy [...]

I have to tell you that I always admire your pretty KitchenAid whenever it’s in your shots. Mine is the white beast and she does all right, but isn’t about to win any beauty contests.

I haven’t even seen these Oreos yet, but I do have the Trader Joe’s version, which I’m guessing is pretty similar.

That dough looks good enough to eat;)

Madeleine says:

These look delectable…just waiting to find those candy cane oreos!!

[...] Chocolate chip cookies and candy canes?  Yes please! [...]

Meghan says:

I’m bringing these to a cookie swap today. I couldn’t find the candy cane Oreos at target so I did half mint green Oreos and have red holiday Oreos so I still god the red color and mint flavor. Did yours come out really really crispy? They taste delicious but they’re so crispy. I think I expected them to be more chewy? What is it in a cookie recipe that makes it more crispy than chewy? I’m going to take pictures of my final product and wrapping and post them on my blog this week. I’ll credit your blog for the recipe. Thanks so much!

Francesca says:

Mine were more crispy too. I even baked some for fewer minutes, but they still were crispy (just not as crispy).

norma diaz says:

those look amazing!
    i just found picky-plate and i love how you post visual instructions

[...] Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Picky Palate  [...]

Bev says:

Hi Jenny,
    Help! I wanted to make these cookies for our cookie exchange this weekend, but our local stores have not stocked them yet. Any ideas for what I could use as a substitiute? Thanks. I’m so disappointed right now :(

Francesca says:

Do you have an Aldi nearby? That’s where I found my cookies. They aren’t “Oreo” brand, but they are essentially the same…Candy Cane Cookie Sandwiches.

Shelly says:

I want to make these, but I’m having a hard time finding the candy cane Oreos. Would these taste just as good using the holiday Oreos?

Brittany C says:

Hi Jenny, so where did you find peppermint oreos?? I cannot find them ANYWHERE! It’s so weird. So I ended up using my candy cane Joe-Joe’s to make these, which is fine, but they are more expensive, and I like to just have those around for the occasional treat. :)

Traci says:

Love these cookies… I could not find the Candy Cane oreos but instead did one batch with the Red Oreos, and one batch with the Mint Oreos and both were great! Thanks – heading to a cookie exchange now!!

Tracy says:

Hi Jenny-
    Can you tell me how many cookies I should get out of this recipe if I am using a cookie sheet vs. a muffin top pan?

Thanks,
    Tracy

Sundi Jo says:

Just made these, but NOWHERE in Branson, Missouri can you get the peppermint oreo. I settled for the mint. They’re not as pretty, but make your breath smell good. :)

marla says:

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Francesca says:

I made these cookies for Christmas! The flavor was amazingly minty and chocolaty. I used a bittersweet chocolate bar. Mmmm! The first batch I made…I think I put too many goodies (although I followed the recipe exactly). I just didn’t feel like there was enough cookie dough to support the amount of cookie bits and chocolate chunks. I used a 1tbsp. cookie scoop instead of making them large cookies. I had to take them out of the oven halfway through baking to tidy them up because they spread even after chilling. I also had to squish down the goodies. The chocolate melted nicely into the cookie at that point. I ended up making a double batch the second time around. I put fewer cookie bits and chocolate chunks…made them smaller in size too. I also left the dough in the fridge overnight. In the morning I sat the cookies out and then microwaved the dough for a few seconds so it wasn’t so stiff. The cookies worked out much better. I didn’t have to mess with them halfway through baking. I tried to bake some cookies less than others to see if they’d be chewier, and they were to an extent, but really these are crispy cookies. I like chewy/melty cookies so I just warmed mine up in the microwave each time. I’d certainly make them again! The flavor was out of this world! Perfect with hot cocoa made from the same bittersweet chocolate bar. Perfection!

[…] Candy Cane Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies […]

jill says:

Have I already told you how much I love these cookies? I’ve made them several times, double stuffed Oreos and regular chocolate chips suffice in a pinch. They are hubby’s favorite cookies and I just got the KitchenAid mixer, these cookies were his 1st request.