Jan
2013

Brown Butter Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

There are some cookies you love and there are some cookies you are “in love” with.  Let’s just say you are about to fall in love with these decadent morsels :)

Massive chocolate chunks inside a crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside chocolate cookie.  The salted part is optional, but I highly recommend it!  Really brings out the sweetness and chocolate aspect of the cookie  quite nicely.

Enjoy friends!  Oh and if you’ve never browned butter before, no worries, it’s a piece of cake.  I have a few pictures that will help you along the way.

Nothing off the wall here, just your basic cookie ingredients.  I happen to enjoy using chocolate chunks which you can find in most grocery stores.  Trader Joe’s has a great 1 pound bar of chocolate that I chop up for most of my cookies.

Add your brown sugar to the ol’ mixer.

Some granulated sugar.

Here’s where the brown butter comes in.  Melt your stick of butter and watch it bubble like crazy for a good 5 or so minutes.  You’ll want to swirl the pan occasionally and eventually those wonderful little browned bits will show up and the butter will turn a gorgeous brown color.  Don’t let it go too dark, it burns quickly after this step :) …..been there a number of times!

Add the brown butter to the sugars and use a rubber spatula to get as many of the browned bits from the pan as possible.

Once the brown butter and sugars are combined, mix in the egg and vanilla.

Dry ingredients up next.

Cocoa powder.  Unsweetened please :)

Ahhh, almost ready.

Add those lovely chocolate chunks.

Ready to the baking sheet.  Flatten, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake!

Oh yah!

Can you smell the chocolate?

Enjoy.

• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt for sprinkling on top

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt and swirl pan until butter is browned with brown bits stuck to the bottomo of the pan. Takes generally 5-8 minutes.
  3. Place sugars into stand mixer and add browned butter mixing to combine. Add egg, vanilla, mixing to combine then add flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. Mix until combined then scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, pressing cookies evenly, about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle tops with kosher salt if desired. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cookies cool on rack for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Makes 2 dozen cookies

Comments

Amanda says:

Gorgeous! I am obsessed with brown butter cookies! This is a new one I will have to try :)

Browned butter can do no wrong – in cookies or in anything else. And I also love the TJ’s Pound Plus bars. For the money, those things can’t be beat! I use them tons! The cookies sound awesome, Jenny!

I love using browned butter and I have never tried a salted dark chocolate cookie! Sounds (and looks) delicious :) Thanks for sharing!

patsyk says:

I know those cookies wouldn’t last long my boys (or me!)… can’t wait to try them!

AMAZING!!! I can see how you’d easily fall in love with these. They look amazing and are SO going on my baking list!!

I am loving these cookies!

Oh my lawd. The awesomeness of brown butter, salt, chocolate aside, I SERIOUSLY need to jump aboard the chocolate chunk bandwagon. AHHH.

i have not had brown butter cookies yet. guess today is the day, huh? looks amazing!

marla says:

Jenny, I love everything about these cookies. Especially that salty kick!

Browned Butter? This is pretty much the best combo ever, Jenny.

oh my goodness – I love everything about these! You are a cookie master :)

Those cookies look amazing! I like those huge chunks of chocolate!

Oh my lands, those look sensational! Suddenly feeling the cookie monster rising up within me…

Wow, brown butter and chocolate! Awesome….

Gaby says:

oh holy moly I want these in my life immediately!

woah baby! look at those HUGE chunks of chocolate. i would die for brown butter and chocolate in a cookie – yum yum!

Becky says:

I’ve seen SO many recipes for brown butter this and that lately and salted cookies out the waazoo. I guess it’s a craze. Glad to see it done with straight chocolate though. I will give these a try! Most of the time I cannot tell the extra step of brown butter adds much more to baked goods. Now to pour it over ravioli or steamed veggies. That’s another thing! Thanks for the great photos – drooling now….

These are calling my name Jenny!

Amanda says:

I cant wait to make these… every ingredient is music to my ears!

These look insanely yummy! Did you use Dutch process or regular cocoa, and do you think either would work?

Oh my, Jenny…those look positively addictive.

Sibylle says:

Looks very very delicious!!!

Bryn says:

What type of chocolate did you use? Milk, semi sweet, etc? Thanks, they look amazing!

As soon as I run through my TJ’s bar, I have to quickly replace it, so I totally get this! Love using chunks over chips in cookie recipes.

Kara D says:

YUM! These look fantastic.

Lindsi Holm says:

These look absolutely fabulous! I can’t wait to try them out.
    Your blog is such an inspiration. I love how every post is so visual.
    Love your recipes!

Bob says:

Oh my that looks mouth watering good!

These look super yummy! I love “salted” anything.

nicole says:

hey jenny, these look so nice and it sounds easy to make….so i will try these on saturday :)

have a nice day!

greetz from germany
    nic

Superb. Not that difficult to make yet sounding so Yummy.

How can they not be perfect with those huge chunks of chocolate in them?? How do you always get such a perfect egg action shot?! So amazing! I cant wait to try these babies!

Jessica Young says:

What size of scoop do you use when you are making these?? It almost looks like an ice cream scoop but was just wondering so I make sure cooking time corelates with size of cookie. :) Thanks -

naomi says:

Will work for cookies– enough said!

Meredith Brooks says:

Made Yesterday. Very Good. But the dough was very “crumbly” so i had to add more browned butter & vanilla. The neighbors LOVED them:)

I can! (smell the chocolate). You know we’re making these, and soon!

Tomorrow is Friday. I “Allow” myself to bake! Can’t wait. These sound super good.

the title of this post won my heart over!! browned butter? yes please. salted? uh, yea. double chocolate? heck yes!

Kathleen says:

Just made cookies this morning. The dough is very crumbly and did not spread when baked. I followed the recipe exactly so not sure what went wrong.

Goldie says:

These are AMAZING and SO easy!!! My hubbie was not a fan of salt and sweet, but I have made him a fan! These are SO delicious! Thanks Jenny!!!!

Tiffany says:

Just made a batch of these. They turned out amazing! Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe.

Heather says:

I’m sorry to leave this comment but these were awful. They look and sound fabulous but they ended up horrible. The dough was dry and crumbly and so were the cookies. They didn’t spread out at all… just stayed like a ball of dough. I followed the recipe to a T and they were a nightmare. Waste of real butter.

Camille Schultz says:

Do you need to let the browned butter cool before adding it to the ingredients? I made these tonight and the butter was too hot so the chocolate melted and made the dough all funny. What should I do differently?

Thanks!

Angela says:

Our family was salivating over this recipe! Made them and followed directions.
    Same problem as others had and the dough was a crumbly mess. Wish I’d have known I had to
    cool the butter first. Bummer!

[…] Butter Salted Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe originally from Picky Palate) Picky Palate says the recipe should make about 2 dozen […]