How fun is St. Patrick’s Day baking? It doesn’t take much to excite me does it, lol! My Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts are a must for the upcoming green holiday. The boys were over the moon when they saw these sitting on the counter this week.
Have I told you that I started a new Chit Chat page? A few times a month I’ll be sharing what we’re up to and some of our favorite things at the moment. A little tv talk, baby talk, shopping talk and lots of food talk :) Come on over and say hi!
Also, have you peeked at my updated Home page? You’ll see a new slideshow of my 4 most recent recipes added to the top of the page. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you’ll see a Mon-Fri Menu recommendation plus my favorite recipes. Huge thanks to Emily of Swank Design for always doing a fantastic job designing Picky Palate.
Let’ s take a look at how to whip up some baked donuts!
I have a new addition to my kitchen counter. Mr. Lime Green KitchenAid looks so lovely sitting next to my hot pink one. If you like this lime green one, I’ll be giving one away in the next couple weeks so stay tuned!! Break out your favorite sprinkles and let’s get started.
This is such a simple recipe, add your flour and sugar.
Baking powder, salt and buttermilk.
Egg and vanilla.
A few tablespoons of pudding mix.
A few drops of green food coloring.
Time to fill the donut pan! Do you have one of these? They’ll only cost you about $10. Bed Bath and Beyond has them and you can find them on Amazon too
While the donuts are baking, prepare the icing. It’s just powdered sugar and heavy cream.
Now, at first glance the donuts won’t look bright green, but when you bite into them you’ll see the lovely “green velvet.” Spread some icing over your cooled donuts. I used my finger, whatever works for you.
Come to mama!
Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4-5 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, egg, vanilla, pudding mix and buttermilk into a stand mixer. Beat on low to combine. Add 4-5 drops of green food coloring, stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into prepared donut pan (in 2 batches). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- To prepare icing, whisk together the powdered sugar and heavy cream until smooth and thick. Spread icing over tops of donuts then sprinkle with colorful sprinkles of your choice.
Makes 12 Servings