Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Mar
2013

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts

Tags: ,

Desserts

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

How fun is St. Patrick’s Day baking?  It doesn’t take much to excite me does it, lol!   My Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts are a must for the upcoming green holiday.  The boys were over the moon when they saw these sitting on the counter this week.

Have I told you that I started a new Chit Chat page?  A few times a month I’ll be sharing what we’re up to and some of our favorite things at the moment.  A little tv talk, baby talk, shopping talk and lots of food talk :)  Come on over and say hi!

Also, have you peeked at my updated Home page?  You’ll see a new slideshow of my 4 most recent recipes added to the top of the page.  If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you’ll see a Mon-Fri Menu recommendation plus my favorite recipes.  Huge thanks to Emily of Swank Design for always doing a fantastic job designing Picky Palate.

Let’ s take a look at how to whip up some baked donuts!

KitchenAid and Sprinkles

I have a new addition to my kitchen counter.  Mr. Lime Green KitchenAid looks so lovely sitting next to my hot pink one.  If you like this lime green one, I’ll be giving one away in the next couple weeks so stay tuned!!  Break out your favorite sprinkles and let’s get started.

Flour and Sugar

This is such a simple recipe, add your flour and sugar.

Baking Powder and Buttermilk

Baking powder, salt and buttermilk.

Egg and Vanilla

Egg and vanilla.

Pudding

A few tablespoons of pudding mix.

Green Food Coloring

A few drops of green food coloring.

Donut Pan

Time to fill the donut pan!  Do you have one of these?  They’ll only cost you about $10.   Bed Bath and Beyond has them and you can find them on Amazon too :)

Icing

While the donuts are baking, prepare the icing.  It’s just powdered sugar and heavy cream.

IMG_9386

Now, at first glance the donuts won’t look bright green, but when you bite into them you’ll see the lovely “green velvet.”  Spread some icing over your cooled donuts.  I used my finger, whatever works for you.

IMG_9255

Happiness :)

IMG_9394

Double happiness.

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts 3t

Come to mama!

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts 4t

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts

Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 4-5 drops green food coloring
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sprinkles

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, egg, vanilla, pudding mix and buttermilk into a stand mixer. Beat on low to combine. Add 4-5 drops of green food coloring, stir to combine.
  3. Scoop batter into prepared donut pan (in 2 batches). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
  4. To prepare icing, whisk together the powdered sugar and heavy cream until smooth and thick. Spread icing over tops of donuts then sprinkle with colorful sprinkles of your choice.

Makes 12 Servings

Comments

Your donuts look delish! Ive been wanting to dust off my donut pan for awhile and had thought about making something for St Paddy’s, too! I keep having cake-fails with mint/chocolate this week. I have so much extra cake that tastes great but not pretty enough to photograph. Lol So I’m about to do mint/choc donuts. Can’t go wrong! :) It was great seeing you and you’re looking fabulous!

Amanda says:

How seriously yummy are these?? :) And I LOVE your new site makeover!! Yay!

These are so cute! Green donuts and green mixer! Love that!I am so keen to make these, seeing they have whole packet of instant pudding in them! Does that help with the texture?

SaraJ says:

Perfect timing for me Jenny, I just bought can of Pillsbury Key Lime Frosing and I was trying to figure out what to put it on. I hardly ever buy frosting, homemade is better and easy to make but anything Key Lime goes in my cart. I think if I thin it down a bit with some milk it will be perfect!

This has officially convinced me to buy a donut pan! I try to avoid cramming my kitchen with too many tools and appliances, but I know that the pan would get used a lot. Donuts are definitely one of my top 5 favorite foods!

By the way, I also really love your chit chat page. Great idea!

Yay for green:)

These are too cute, Jenny! You can’t go wrong with donuts and sprinkles on a Friday!

Love the vanilla pudding in these! And sprinkles make everything better!
    ANd love the new homepage!

Cuteness!!! I bet the pudding in these makes them INcredible!

So cute! I especially love the sprinkles ;)

Happiness indeed – my day totally brightened when I saw these beautiful pictures!

Oooo, such a pretty green mixer to match those donuts! This is the perfect weekend treat!

Gaby says:

omg. literally drooling at my computer as I look at these :)

marla says:

Ooooooo, these are so fun ~ I adore sprinkles!

Deborah says:

These are seriously too fun – and I’m loving the new pages!

My protein shake isn’t tasting so good anymore after looking at these. They look so moist and soft. I WANT!!

Amanda says:

Seriously yum. I love the idea of a green velvet donut… with sprinkles!!!

These look divine! Might just have to get out the donut pan this weekend!

Heather says:

Oooh, I love these so much!

xo

Mmm these sound awesome! So fun too. Sprinkles make everything fun.

oh that green is so cute! i’m green with envy :) these donuts are so perfect for st. patty’s day! what a fun celebration with sprinkles :)

Casey says:

Oh my gosh. Holy adorable!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE your new mixer, literally my favorite color in the entire world!

I would love to sink my teeth into it! Looks so fun and festive, Jenny :)

These are awesome! I reallyyyy have to buy a donut pan but may end up making them too much!

These are just too cute, and I LOVE that they match your stand mixer! But seriously, I’m down to eat any kind of donut that has buttermilk in it. YUM. The design of the blog is just wonderful too, btw!

These are so much fun! And I am loving that new mixer!

Oh my gosh – awesome! Love the donuts!

I’m thinking these would be perfect for St. Patrick’s morning breakfast (and dessert LOL) xoxo

Lynna says:

I`m definitely down to make some green donuts any day! But, I`ll use the excuse of St. Paddy’s day that’s coming up! Love the sprinkles. :D

Those look so good! I need to try making donuts at home!

I just adore doughnuts ! Those ones seem perfect for me ! :)

Gwen M says:

Those look fantastic, and I loved baked donuts!!! Going to have to get that donut pan!!! I am thinking about using the instant pistachio pudding, its green too!!!! I love your website!!!!!

[...] green velvet baked donuts would be a fun St. Patrick’s Day treat (@ Picky [...]

What a great idea for St. Patrick’s Day! Love your green mixer, too!

Becki says:

Just finished baking mine. I was inspired by the beautiful, cheery photos. I couldn’t get 12 donuts but still worked out just great. Hoping to freeze them. The only thing I would do different next time would be to use Jello brand pudding mix and not the no name brand I grabbed at the grocery store. I should have known better…tsk tsk! My bad. Of course now I have to try these with Lemon Jello pudding mix.
    Thanks for the post and pretty pics!
    ~Beck

Sara says:

Could this also be made as a cake?

[...] sure to peek at my Green Velvet Baked Sprinkle Donuts to see the mixer in [...]

How fun are these?! What a fabulous treat!

Susan Herrin says:

i plan on making these for Bunco on Sunday!!!

Paola says:

I love you green Kitchen Aid and the recipe

Katie says:

Hi Jenny! I tried making these tonight but they turned out really bitter…I’m a fairly new cook, so I’d love to know your thoughts on what I did wrong! I followed the recipe exactly, but they didn’t turn out looking like yours at all!! HELP! I’m a huge fan of your blog and check it almost every day!

Thanks!!

[...] Jenny’s Green Velvet Baked Sprinkles Donuts [...]

Jody Rausch says:

I made these the other night and used sugar-free instant pudding. My batter did not pour into the pans, but was muffin mixture dense. I was concerned that the recipe called for one Tablespoon of baking powder as I’m used to seeing 1 tsp. in baking recipes instead. Needless to say, mine turned out rubbery and not cake like. One can definately taste the baking powder. Not sure what happened.

Konae Putman says:

I made theses and I have to say supper easy and delicious! I think when making them again I will use pistachio pudding and I will remember to nut fill them too full my first batch came out looking like muffins :)

Denise says:

i just made these and was confused why tablespoon of baking soda but went ahead and made them anyway (made other things for your site and have been delish) but i have to say i taste to much baking soda yuck and very rubbery also the frosting consistence not right either :( Is the baking soda wrong measurement? I do love your site and have been very happy with other recipes!!!

Chels R. says:

I had a similar problem. The flavor wasn’t bad, but the donuts rose a ton and only got baked for 10 min. I too, was wondering if the Baking Powder was maybe a typo. But my batter wasn’t as loose, so much thicker and rubbery almost, so it only made 6 donuts, but I also used sugar free vanilla pudding cuz thats what was on hand. But the glaze was delicious and the donuts while not perfect, tasted good and the most important thing was my family enjoyed them. Next time, I would try maybe one tsp of baking powder and see if that makes the difference.

Tiffany Brown says:

I have a quick question, I have made these twice and both times the batter was really thick and had a funny taste. I am a little discouraged, lol Was the baking powder was right? that is the only thing I think would make it taste a little funny :)

[...] to see more taxi getaways in Cville. via Brides | Sprinkles as a wedding detail? Count me in. via Picky Palate | The colors of summer– reds, pinks, oranges– remind me of citrus. Who wants to do a [...]

Wowguy says:

what a cute idea. Everybody love donuts with sprinkles