Mar
2013

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

Remember eating spaghettios as a kid?  I do!  I have to say I don’t love them now as an adult, but I do love my “Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs I’ve made for you today.

Growing up, I remember and my dad making a bowl of pasta, then adding butter and tomato sauce (with lots of black pepper) for lunch on a number of occasions.  It is the simplest of ingredients and for some reason is so good!

I re-created that lunch I remember him making so many times as a kid with a few little additions of my own.  The family will go nuts over this recipe.  My kids even polished off all of the leftovers throughout the week.

Hope you enjoy!

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 1

Here’s your simple ingredient list.  I used Ditalini shaped pasta, it looks similar to the traditional spaghettio shape.

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiO's 2

Time to cook the pasta!

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 3

Once your pasta is cooked, make sure to rinse it under cold water.  Keeps it nice and al dente.

Making sauce

Here’s the magical sauce inspired by my dad.  Melt a stick of butter than add your tomato sauce.  Can you handle the difficulty?

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 4

Add your cooked pasta back to the sauce.

adding chicken

Give a little stir and add some cooked shredded chicken.

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 6

Add  a tablespoon of Ranch mix.

adding cheese

Top with some lovely shredded cheese then close with a lid to melt.

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 8

Yes!  Cheesy and perfect.  Now it’s time to eat.

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 1t

Enjoy! ….I even added a few shakes of hot sauce to mine.  Give that a try too.

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs 2t

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiOs

Cheesy Grown Up SpaghettiO's by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 pound small circular pasta
  • 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • Three 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dry Ranch Dressing seasoning packet
  • 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions then drain under cold water to stop cooking.
  2. Melt butter into a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Add your cooked pasta to the sauce along with the shredded chicken, Ranch seasoning and black pepper. Stir to combine, reduce heat to medium low.. Top with shredded cheese and close lid to melt cheese for 3-5 minutes. Once cheese is melted, serve.

Makes 8-10 Servings

Comments

Pasta and tomato … What else ?? :)

I did the same kind of easy to do and “kids-esay-eating” recipe yesterday with “coquillettes” pastas, tomatos, minced meet, origan and worcestershire sauce. Can’t wait till diner to enjoy leftovers !

Oh yum! This looks so good! And easy! I have never had spaghetti-os! But I will be trying this out for dinner (and next day lunch!!!) soon!

Okay, I have to admit that spaghetti-o’s were a guilty pleasure in my teens. I can’t touch the stuff now, but this homemade version looks like a great alternative!

This looks like cheesy perfection!! Now you have me craving pasta and cheese at 9am! haha :)

Tieghan says:

YUM, YUM, YUM! I love this grown up version!!

OMG — I still love Spaghetti O’s (embarrassing) and I cannot WAIT to try these!!!

Now that is a tasty sounding pasta!

My family are already nuts but could be nuttier :) I have good spaghettio memories too!!

Kathy says:

Looks wonderful. I always cringe when I serve my kids the ones out of the can. I can’t wait to try this.

Traci says:

My kids saw the picture and were sold. They can’t wait to try these. I am NOT a spaghetti o’s fan, but I will be making them these to try! Great recipe, thank you!

Deborah says:

I’ve never been a big fan of spaghetti-os, but I know I’d love this!!

My coworkers and I were literally just talking about the kid foods we still crave yesterday and the consensus was Spaghetti O’s were the stuff childhood was made of! I’m so trying this new “adult” version. STAT!

I want this for lunch!

omgggggggggggggggggggggggg I’m dying.

Jenny Kozar says:

This will be going on my menu for next week. Thanks!!

oh wow. this looks like a meal my kids would flip for!

naomi says:

I think I can handle how easy this meal is to make :)

Kristen says:

Love this recipe, but will leave out the ranch dressing as it contains MSG.

Barbara F. says:

This looks great. It’s hard to find something that both my kids and I will truly enjoy. :)

I love recipes that take me back to being a kid! Cant wait to try this one :)

marla says:

Such a smart idea and waaaayyyy better than the ones on a can ;)

I was obsessed with spaghettios growing up – I was so excited to see this recipe today!

I love spaghettios! And I’m loving this grown up version, definitely be adding this to my “to make” list :)

Chels R. says:

Mmm, that looks really yummy!

Sarah Condron says:

This looks so yummy! I believe it will go on my menu for next week. Thanks for sharing :-)

The little kid in me is kinddaaaa freaking out right now. This looks SO mouthwatering!

my hubby still eats spaghettio’s from the can…it kills me. so this will be fun to try a homemade version for him.

Mercedes says:

This looks so simple yet so perfect and comforting!

Biz says:

Much to my Mom’s dismay, I am 45 years old and can still eat Spaghettios – and do a couple times a year just for old times sake – served with toasted Butternut white bread with butter on the side.

I too made a grown up version of spaghettios and meatballs – let me know what you think!

Amanda says:

What a fantastic idea!!!

I think this is what we need for dinner, comforting and simple. Thanks Jenny!

Diana says:

THAT. LOOKS. DELICIOUS.

Oh my goodness! Looks SO good!!
    Nothing like a little butter to make everything better! ;-)

Caro says:

this looks really tasty! can’t wait to try it. have to admit… started eating spaghetti-o’s again when my boyfriend’s kids were eating it. hmmmm (:

I’m about to head down to my parents’ house where they’re observing Passover. I better get my pasta fix in before that happens… and this might just do the trick.

barbara says:

hey jenny, i saw this recipe yesterday and thought it looked intriguing so i made it. holy cow, it was delish! i sent a bowl up for my sister to taste and she ate the whole thing (after supper). don’t hesitate this is a great recipe that looks like it would be nothing. even the kids like it. good job!

Perfect comfort food that reminds us of our childhood :)

[...] Grown  up spaghettios? Yes please! [...]

[...] Cheesy Grown Up Spaghettios.  In high school I had an obsession with spaghettios and I have missed them dearly so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it.   It was so good and I loved the added chicken and cheese.   We also had rolls because clearly a bowl full of pasta didn’t have enough carbs.   [...]

Colleen says:

Thank you for sharing! This recipe saved the day yesterday. My husband randomly wanted spaghettiios and I wanted chicken. Perfect!

Anne B says:

Nutritional info, please!

Morgan says:

Making this tonight with cheese filled breadsticks!

This sounds so good! I was never a big fan of spaghettios has a child, but I’m pretty sure your version would be my new favorite thing. :)

jenn says:

Yum, Making this for dinner tonight. I will use my own homade ranch mix though! Also what do you serve this with? Salad and bread?

Amanda J says:

Made this for the first time tonight. Just finished a bowl……divine! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

love2sign says:

We made the pasta with butter and tomato soup and of course lots of black pepper! This was a quick and cheap way to make lunch for us without the preservatives! :) Thanks for your website!

Katie says:

Do you think it wold work with less butter? I am TRYING to lose weight! :)

Kathleen says:

Oh this is a must make. Looks delish! Thank you.