Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake
Chocolate cake anyone?! I’d like to introduce you to my Homemade Double Chocolate Butterfinger Cake. It is made by baking the batter in two 2 cup ramekins. I love this size because it’s about 6 inches wide and about 12 inches tall. Perfect for a birthday cake for that special someone 🙂
I created this cake for my friend Amanda of I am Baker and her Food Styling Challenge. I was so excited when I got the email to participate. The challenge is that you have $25 to spend on your props that you find at a second hand shop. I grew up going to garage sales and thrift store shopping so I was ready for the challenge. I went up to a little second hand shop down the street and found a cute ivory plate and a glass candle stick that I glued together to make my own cake stand. I found an antique knife to go with it and spent under $20! Can you tell I had a good time?
Here’s a closer look of the cake stand I made. Love how it looks with the little tall cake.
Let’s start with the cake shall we?! Add your flour to the bowl.
Oil and sour cream.
Eggs please 🙂
Pour your batter into two 2-cup ramekins sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
Let these babies cool then remove from ramekins.
Crush a regular size Butterfinger for your cake layers.
Slice each little cake, spread with chocolate buttercream, top with Buttercream and stack like so. Frost the top and sides then top with crushed Butterfinger. Yes!
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 regular size bar Butterfinger candy bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 2 cup ramekins with cooking spray and the bottoms lined with parchment paper.
- Heat the milk in a microwave safe bowl until hot, about 45-60 seconds. Remove and add chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute then stir to melt.
- In a stand mixer, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda to combine. Slowly add the eggs, sour cream, oil and melted chocolate mixture until combined. Divide batter between the two prepared ramekins. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until baked through. Remove and let cool. Remove cakes from ramekins and split horizontally.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and cocoa until thick and spreadable. Spread a thin layer over each of the split cakes. Top each frosted layer with crushed Butterfinger bars. Stack cakes on top of each other onto your desired cake plate. Frost entire cake and top with more crushed Butterfinger bars.
Makes 6 Servings
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.