Jun
2013

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake

Tags:

Desserts

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake by Picky Palate

Chocolate cake anyone?! I’d like to introduce you to my Homemade Double Chocolate Butterfinger Cake.  It is made by baking the batter in two 2 cup ramekins.  I love this size because it’s about 6 inches wide and about 12 inches tall.  Perfect for a birthday cake for that special someone :)

I created this cake for my friend Amanda of I am Baker and her Food Styling Challenge.  I was so excited when I got the email to participate.  The challenge is that you have $25 to spend on your props that you find at a second hand shop.  I grew up going to garage sales and thrift store shopping so I was ready for the challenge.  I went up to a little second hand shop down the street and found a cute ivory plate and a glass candle stick that I glued together to make my own cake stand.  I found an antique knife to go with it and spent under $20!  Can you tell I had a good time?

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-26t

Here’s a closer look of the cake stand I made.  Love how it looks with the little tall cake.

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-3

Let’s start with the cake shall we?! Add your flour to the bowl.

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-4

Cocoa powder!

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-5

Sugar please!

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-6

Oil and sour cream.

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-7

Eggs please :)

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-9

Oh yah!

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-11

Pour your batter into two 2-cup ramekins sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-13

Let these babies cool then remove from ramekins.

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake-16

Crush a regular size Butterfinger for your cake layers.

Layers

Slice each little cake, spread with chocolate buttercream, top with Buttercream and stack like so.  Frost the top and sides then top with crushed Butterfinger.  Yes!

Double Chocolate Butterfinger Layered Cake by Picky Palate

• 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 regular size bar Butterfinger candy bar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 2 cup ramekins with cooking spray and the bottoms lined with parchment paper.
  2. Heat the milk in a microwave safe bowl until hot, about 45-60 seconds. Remove and add chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute then stir to melt.
  3. In a stand mixer, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda to combine. Slowly add the eggs, sour cream, oil and melted chocolate mixture until combined. Divide batter between the two prepared ramekins. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until baked through. Remove and let cool. Remove cakes from ramekins and split horizontally.
  4. To prepare frosting, beat butter until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and cocoa until thick and spreadable. Spread a thin layer over each of the split cakes. Top each frosted layer with crushed Butterfinger bars. Stack cakes on top of each other onto your desired cake plate. Frost entire cake and top with more crushed Butterfinger bars.

Makes 6 Servings

Comments

There’s a million things I love about this post! First, the cake, the recipe itself, the fact that it’s a smaller cake in terms portions because I just can’t get through huge layer cakes before they go stale so your size is perfect!

Next, love the challenge. How FUN!!! I go to my local thrift shop every couple weeks and scour it for props. I love it when I find great plates for 2 bucks or something wonderful for under 5 bucks.

Love your creativity with making your own cakestand, too. Wow, Jenny! So impressed!

That’s an impressive looking cake! And it looks delicious as well, great recipe!

I love this little cake!!! So cute…and I know it’s DELICIOUS!!!

Tieghan says:

Such a gorgeous cake and what a fun challenge!! You guys are so creative!

This cake is too cute! I need a small cake like this, with candy no less, in my life!

I love how tall it is! Looks delicious!

Wow, love smaller cakes and this one is too adorable! What a fun challenge and great finds! Can’t get over how cute and delicious this cake looks! Love!

I love love that you used ramekins! So cute and perfect for a fun night (or a day ehen I need my own personal cake!)

Amanda says:

Love it Jenny!! Thanks so much for submitting such a gorgeous and delicious cake… I cant WAIT to make it! You rock!

Sandra says:

Wonderful! Now I can make single individual cake for my friends. Thanks for the recipe!

Yum! I’m drooling over this one!

What a delicious flavor for the cake!! And I love how adorable the little stand is!! Great styling- I love this segment that Amanda does :)

OH MY GOD! Sooooo yummy!! I adore the size, and pretty much everything about it. And I love the challenge too!

Debi B says:

The cake looks delicious! I also really love the cake stand. I’ve been looking for a stand for some time now but haven’t been able to find the right one. I might make one like you did, that is a GREAT idea!

Brianna says:

All I can say is…ridiculous. This cake is ridiculously tempting. I love butterfingers!

Sandra says:

Chocolate cake baked in ramekins; Wow! Chocolate Cake baked in ramekins with chocolate frosting topped with crushed Butterfingers; I am truly, madly, deeply in love with this recipe!!

Whoa, mama! This 4-layer cake looks incredible, Jenny! Brings new meaning to my love of Butterfingers, for sure.

Looks incredible! Love all the layers.

wow, this is incredible, Jenny!!! come to mama!

Jill M says:

If I were to bake your chocolate butterfingers cake only 1 layer, what size pan do you recommend and baking time/temp

Thank you!

Totally love how this is a mini cake. Won’t feel guilty when I am eating the whole thing!!

Great photos and styling! I love a small and tall cake :) I think that I’m making this for Father’s Day … the hubby loves a Butterfinger!

Karen says:

Wow, thanks so much for a great excuse to bake a cake…the size!!! Perfect. You are very clever. To boot, it looks delicious.

Cookie says:

Mmm! I’ll go for chocolate and butterfingers any day! I love the size; small tall cakes just seem so much more impressive. Very creative with the cake stand there ;)

My belly just roared. This looks AMAZING.

This cook looks so good – the height of it is amazing!! Great prop finds too :)

Wow, that baby cake looks so delicious and adorable and crunchable. Making your own cake stand is pretty awesome. It turned out great.

Mama Mia that looks amazing!!!

This looks too good for words!! Butterfingers are my absolute favorite!! I’m in trouble with this one :)

marla says:

GORGEOUS cake Jenny! Wish I could dive into this right now!

How adorable! I love that it’s a smaller cake! But it’s totally loaded with chocolate and butterfinger, which sounds to die for!
    I wish we had a cool thrift shop around where I live. It’s so hard to find vintage plates or flatware. Fun challenge!

I love this mini cake! Baking the layers in ramekins in such an awesome idea!

Chels R. says:

What a fun idea and looks amazing! I want a bite so bad!

I need this cake in my belly right now! I love the uniqueness of the cake stand too! You are so clever!! :D

naomi says:

you did a great job with the challenge and the cake – oh my!!!

Holy moley! What a fabulous cake. Butterfingers are so freaking good!

nessa says:

Love the decoration on this cake!

Your cake looks delicious!
    Butterfingers are one of my favorite candy bars.

Pinning this to my Cake Board. =)

Just adorable! I could eat the whole cake. ;)

Camille says:

Why didn’t I ever think of baking a cake in a ramekin? Love it and the cake!

Adrienne says:

This looks amazing, but I have a pretty big family and no little ramekins. While I love the look of the skinny and tall cake-any ideas for making it full size?

Love this… I could eat the whole cake right now :)

Kerstin says:

How fun you made your own cake stand! I so wish I was enjoying a piece of this right now, yum! :)

[...] Palate bakes her double chocolate Butterfinger layered cake in ramekins to make an extra tall cake worthy of someone extra [...]

love, love this! such a cute, sweet little treat! :)

alida rose says:

i think any cake with more than 3 layers looks just delightful

Erin says:

This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it! Do you think it would work for cupcakes with the crushed Butterfinger pieces on top? Thanks for another great recipe!

I’m crying I want a slice so bad.

I love this a million times over! I love cakes, but can’t stand having an entire four layer cake around! Because I eat. it. ALLLL!! This is too presh Jenny!