My Zesty Spanish Rice Chicken Soup Recipe is simple to prepare for those busy weeknights and is full of great Mexican flavor!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! I am celebrating with this delicious and so simple to prepare Mexican style soup. It’s packed with my homemade spanish rice, vegetables and chunks of chicken in a flavorful zesty broth.
Cholula is my go to hot sauce for everything. It flavored my broth perfectly without being too spicy. We love it in my house!
Be sure to check out Amanda’s Firecracker Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa HERE for another fun Cholula Cinco de Mayo recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for your soup. Simple pantry and refrigerator items. To save yourself some time, cook your chicken ahead of time so it’s ready to go
Start by sautéing your onions.
Add your carrots and some fresh garlic. Cook and stir until slightly softened.
Add your cooked rice. and seasonings.
Finish up the spanish rice by adding salt, pepper, tomato sauce and chicken broth to start the soup.
Dice your chicken and add it to the pot.
Season the soup with Cholula hot sauce. I used 4 tablespoons, but use more or less to according to your liking.
Add some fresh cilantro and or parsley and simmer on low until you are ready to serve!
Spoon into your favorite bowl and enjoy!
Zesty Spanish Rice Chicken Soup
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 50 min
- 2 cups uncooked rice of choice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 64 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes, mild
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Cholula Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions, carrots and garlic for 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Add rice, cumin, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, lime juice and hot sauce and cilantro, stirring. Simmer on low until ready to serve.
**NOTE: The rice soaks up the broth the longer it simmers, add more as needed.**
Makes 10-12 Servings
This is a sponsored post for Cholula however thoughts and opinion are my own.