Cinnamon and Sugar Toasted Mini Pita Fruit Nachos with Honeyed Mascarpone and Dark Chocolate
Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. We ended up taking the boys to see “How To Train Your Dragon” in 3D Saturday and LOVED it. I think I was more into it than my 4 year old! Really a fun movie.
So, here is Part 3 of my Mother’s Day Recipes with Whole Foods….Dessert! Saved the best for last!
Whole Foods has one of my very favorite products…..the mini pitas. You can get them in original and wheat. Super cute, about 2 inch little circles. If you can’t get to a Whole Foods, try Trader Joes, I’ve seen some small pitas there. You can also just cut regular size pitas in little triangles. It will taste just the same 🙂
I also used more of my other favorite ingredients in this recipe… honeyed mascarpone and dark chocolate. What I wouldn’t give for a midnight snack of these babies right now! Too bad they are long gone. Prepare yourself for best darn fruit nachos you’ve ever had….maybe your first 🙂 Enjoy!
Cinnamon and Sugar Toasted Mini Pita Fruit Nachos
- 1 package of mini pitas from Whole Foods or 6 regular size pitas cut into triangles will work (if you use 6 regular size pitas, make sure you double the remaining recipe except the fruit 🙂
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely ground pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint strawberries washed and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 pint raspberries washed and dried
- 1 cup finely chopped good quality chocolate or chocolate chips
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese you can substitute softened cream cheese here if you wish
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place mini pitas and melted butter into a large ziplock bag. Shake around until all pitas are coated. Immediately place buttered pitas into a second large ziplock with sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Shake well until all pitas are coated. Place coated pitas onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pitas are crisp.
- Place the chocolate over a double broiler, stirring until melted. Drizzle over crisped pitas and transfer to cooling rack. You can let the chocolate harden or serve with it melted. Place mascarpone cheese and honey into a mixing bowl; mix to combine. With a small cookie scoop, scoop a dollop of honeyed mascarpone onto the centers of each pita. Place all fruit into a large mixing bowl. Spoon fruit over mascarpone and pita. Serve immediately.
Have a great new week, catch ya soon 🙂