Sharing my homemade french fries today! These Cajun Fries are warm, crispy, perfectly seasoned and simple to make at home.
How To Make French Fries
Making homemade french fries are not as difficult as you might think. Start with some nice russet potatoes, cajun seasonings!
Here are the spices I use for my Cajun seasoning recipe.
Here you have them. Give them a nice mix.
What Kind of Potatoes Should You Use To Make French Fries?
I like to use the classic Russet Potatoes. Make sure they are firm. Give them a good wash before cutting.
Cut off all ends creating a rectangle. Cut potatoes into strip as photographed. Place potatoes into a bowl of sugar water and soak for 30 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to dry for 5 minutes.
What Kind of Oil Should I Use to Fry French Fries?
I like to use vegetable oil or canola oil. The key is using something with a high smoke point. Neutral-tasting oils are great for frying: peanut, canola, vegetable….these all have a smoke point far above 350°F. Some oils, like corn, coconut and sesame, have smoke points beyond 350°F, but they tend to add flavor into the finished french fry. Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Carefully drop potatoes into hot oil, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, transfer to paper towel lined plate.
Shortly before serving, fry a second time and transfer to paper towel lined plate.
Right after 2nd fry, sprinkle with pinches of Cajun seasonings.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot until temperature reaches 350 degrees F.
- Place cajun seasonings into small bowl and mix to combine.
- Cut potatoes into desired thickness. Place water and sugar into a large bowl, mixing until dissolved. Transfer potatoes into water and soak for 30 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to dry, 5 minutes.
- Carefully drop potatoes into oil and fry until golden, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Right before serving, fry potatoes a second time for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with pinches of Cajun seasoning. Serve immediately.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.