A couple of weeks ago my good buddy Amanda was visiting CA and you all know what that means? Lots and lots of bakery hopping for us. We have made it a tradition to pop in as many fun bakeries as possible any time we are together…..kind of like how we did in NYC 🙂
Here we are in NYC…. bakery hopping fools!
So, first up is the brand new cupcake shop in Downtown Disney….”The Cupcake Store.” As you can see, it is nothing fancy, just an outside little building. Inside are some very tasty cupcakes….wait till you see them!
You get a cute little box for every cupcake ordered so you can take them to go without them getting smashed. We ordered 4 Cupcakes to sample….the Cookies and Cream, Chocolate with Vanilla Frosting, Vanilla with Strawberry Filling and The Celebration/Confetti Cupcake.
Here was our setup. We used a table right outside of the shop, covered it in purple tissue paper and positioned them so we had the beautiful Disney Tree in the background 🙂
Here was our background that you’ll see in the photos below 🙂
Here’s the lovely Strawberry filled cupcake. Doesn’t the tree look pretty in the background?
Aren’t these the cutest? Love the candy straw in the Celebration Cupcake.
As Amanda and I were snapping our cupcake photos, we ran into Amy from “Do You Know The Muffin Pan.” She stopped us because she recognized us from our blogs, it was so much fun chatting with her. Go check out her site, she has some great ideas for your muffin pans!
This cookies and cream one was by far my favorite. Great frosting and soft chocolate cupcake inside!
This pretty confetti cupcake came in 2nd place. It is adorable and very tasty.
….and yes, this is our cupcake graveyard scene. Talk about sugar overload. It was worth every bite!
I heard a rumor that the cupcake store is only at Downtown Disney until Janurary 9th. I hope its not true and they’ll consider staying longer. Such a fun little stop! Hope you can try them!
At any rate, these were worth the $4.95 per cupcake. Had a blast with Amanda and our cupcake photo shoot, stay tuned for our next bakery adventure 🙂
Chocolate Mousse Filled Snickers Cupcake
Amanda and I went back to my kitchen and created a cupcake inspired by one of our favorite cakes at Jones on Third in LA. They have the most beautiful Snickers Cake that tastes like a dream. Our cupcake was a huge success! The chocolate mousse filling and chocolate butter cream frosting with Snickers on top take this one over the edge 🙂 Hope you enjoy!
Imagine the box of gelatin to the right is not there (we didn’t end up using it for the mousse) then picture a small carton of sour cream is pictured over by the cake mix:)
Heavenly chocolate buttercream frosting 🙂
Delicious chocolate mousse filling!
Fill em’ up!
Our gorgeous Snickers Cupcake 🙂 Of course this was a horrible cloudy day and was nearly dark when we took these photos, but boy were they good!
Chocolate Mousse Filled Snickers Cupcake
- 1 Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 small box of chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups melted chocolate chips
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 stick softened butter
- 2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake tins with liners.
- To prepare cupcakes place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream into stand mixer. Beat until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Scoop batter evenly into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes are cooked through, a toothpick comes clean from center. Remove and let cool.
- To prepare mousse, whip heavy cream with a stand or electric mixer until looks like whipped cream, until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in melted chocolate that has cooled for 5 minutes.
- Continue folding until well combined then transfer batches into a piping bag.
- When cupcakes have cooled press the tip of the piping bag into the center of the cupcake about 1 inch then press mousse into center. It doesn’t take much, just one firm squeeze is perfect. Continue filling all the cupcakes.
- To prepare frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla until well combined and a nice frosting consistency.
- Spread over cupcakes then top with chopped Snickers.
Happy Baking, come back soon!!