Jan
2008

Whole Grain Garlic Roasted Bruschetta

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

I don’t know what it is about Trader Joes, but it’s one of the only grocery stores I don’t dread going to. Their products make me want to go home and create so many cool recipes, I could go on and on. I only had about 20 minutes to shop before I had to pick my oldest up from school, but I came home with plenty of stuff. First up was this bruschetta. The bread display at the front of the store caught my attention as I walked in. I saw this beautiful baguette that said it was whole grain. Sold! I strolled through the produce area and picked up garlic, basil and Roma tomatoes.

As I was picking out my produce, my youngest apparently was trying to get out of the cart and a sweet old woman said to him, “Oh, sit down honey or you’ll fall out.” You would have thought she tried to steal his snacks, he immediately burst out in tears, totally offended. He’s going through a sensitive phase in life. The old woman looked back and said, “Oh, I ruined his whole morning!” The drama!

I was so excited to go home and make bruschetta for lunch. It was fresh, delicious and guilt free, you can’t beat that combo! The roasted garlic is totally worth the time. I know it’s an extra step, but just throw the whole bulb of garlic in foil, toss it in the oven for an hour at 375 and it’s done.

I got a bunch of other stuff that I’ll be whipping up this week and will post it soon. Thanks to the person who told me about the frozen brown rice from Trader’s. I am ecstatic, 3 minutes in the microwave and out comes brown rice. What a great invention. The workers couldn’t believe it wasn’t sold out again, they said it’s next to impossible to get your hands on it. To those of you who don’t have a Trader Joes, sorry I talk about it all the time! Just find similar products at your grocery store, Enjoy everyone!

Whole Grain Garlic Roasted Bruschetta

1 loaf whole grain baguette
4 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
8 large fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled then thinly sliced
3 cloves roasted garlic, smashed (Place bulb of garlic in lightly wrapped tin foil, bake in oven at 375 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, peel and ready to use)
2 pinches coarse salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice baguette in ½ inch slices and place on baking sheet or tin foil. Brush lightly with good extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 5-6 minutes until lightly toasted.

2. Place tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil into a large bowl and mix well, making sure garlic is well incorporated.

3. Place heaping Tablespoonfuls of tomato mixture over each toasted baguette slice and serve!

Comments

Libby says:

Oh, that looks so yummy. Hey, I made the chili tonight. Sooooo good! My family ate it up!

MrsPresley says:

i love bruschetta! and if you are ever feeling super lazy, the premade stuff at TJs is great too ;)

Hi Libby,
    Glad your family enjoyed the chili! It’s a great time of year for chili/soup dinners!

Mrspresley,
    I was eyeing the premade bruschetta TJ’s and almost picked up the roasted vegetable one. Next time I’ll have to try it!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, I’m glad you love the brown rice there! Who needs a rice cooker!! I’m with you on Trader Joes!! Love it! I just did a post on their frozen artichokes, have you tried those yet? If you like srtichokes, you have to try them!

Catherine says:

Way to rub it in, Jenny! I pout daily we don’t have TJ in Prescott!
    Instant. Brown. Rice. I’m SO jealous!
    The same thing happened to my eldest son, while fooling around in the shopping cart. He’s not as sensitive as your little one…he squirted the lady in the eye with his squirt gun! Yikes!
    Bruschetta is one of my main food groups..your recipe is awesome!

Proud Italian Cook,
    I LOVE artichokes, so I will have to pick those frozen ones up next time I’m at TJ’s. Thanks so much for the recommendation on the brown rice, I’ll be using it soon!

Catherine,
    At least you’re close enough to the stores here right? Are the Scottsdale stores closest to you? It sure would be nice to have one in your backyard though!

Anonymous says:

You can freeze your own brown rice! Just cook up a batch (I prefer oven cooking) and place 1 to 2 cups in a quart freezer zip bag after cooking and lay flat to freeze. It reheats in nothing flat in the microwave.

Emiline says:

Oops, I missed this post.

I love bruschetta, and this one looks delicious. That whole grain baguette is something.

I want to open up a Trader Joe’s and manage it. I would get lots of discounts and maybe some free produce.

Thanks for the great tip Annonomous! I’ll definately try freezing my brown rice next time I make it!

Emiline,
    That’d be a cool job huh? Think of all the cool stuff you could make. Not a bad idea!

Kameron says:

Yum yum! I found this option on the blurb website (you probably already know about it) and thought it was perfect for you. Your site would translate well into either a blog book or a cookbook… Here’s the link – http://www.blurb.com/create/book/cookbook

[...] on the menu was savory crescent chicken squares, brie cheese with raspberry jam and butter crackers, tomato and garlic bruschetta, spinach and strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing, strawberry and lemon curd parfaits, and [...]

Grace says:

This is such a simple and delicious snack. I love garlic a lot when it’s roasted too, so it brings a different garlic-y flavor to this. Some times people use raw but they don’t know how to manage portions and it’s overpowering.

We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.

Your web site offered us with helpful info to work on. You’ve performed a formidable process
    and our entire neighborhood will probably be thankful to you.

Maybell says:

Hellko would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m planniing to start my own blog soon but I’m having
    a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask iss because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading
    it, you mifht be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future.
    I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your
    great work, have a nice holiday weekend!