Feb
2008

Feeling Sticky?

Desserts

Cream Cheese Stuffed Cinna-Bun Pull-Aparts

I had a nice morning yesterday with my 2 year old shopping at Trader Joes. I think he’s warming up to the old ladies. A cute little lady offered him a cup of blueberries, he smiled grabbed them and gobbled them down. I was shocked!

After I got home, I was a cooking/baking fool. It was one day in a long time where I didn’t have a zillion things I HAD to do. My boys had a friend over and I was able to play in the kitchen. I am excited to share some of the yummy recipes I made over the next few days.

Break out the Bundt pan, this recipe is incredibly rich and delicious. One pull-apart and you are good! These gooey rolls are baked in a butter/brown sugar mix, filled with sweet cream cheese and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I recommend eating them warm. This recipe was altered from an recipe I saw on a morning show, from a guy who calls himself Chef Dad. He used the Pillsbury rolls, so you could go for his quicker route if you’d like. I substituted Rhodes Rolls instead and I think it makes a big difference.

I used the Monkey Bread Mold from William Sonoma, it’s great if you have it. If you use this mold, only use 15 rolls, the top 5 pop off the top. Hope you enjoy!

Cream Cheese Stuffed Cinna-Bun Pull-Aparts

20 Rhodes Bake and Serve Rolls, thawed
1 lb. light brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter
4 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar (found in your grocer’s spice aisle), or just mix a little cinnamon and sugar to equal 4 Tbsp like I did
8 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)

Instructions:
In a bowl, combine cream cheese with 1/4 cup brown sugar and combine well with spatula. Cover and place in refrigerator.

Lightly coat bottom of bundt pan with cooking spray.

Melt butter, then add remaining brown sugar and stir well. Bring to a light boil to caramelize then pour 1/3 of the butter/brown sugar mix across bottom of bundt pan.

Remove cream cheese mix from refrigerator. Take one roll at a time into your hands and pull outward on sides to increase size slightly. Place approximately 1 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture into middle of roll. Fold dough around the mixture, pinch closed, then roll into a tight ball. Evenly place 8 balls across bottom of bundt pan. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of sugar/cinnamon. Pour second 1/3 of the brown sugar/butter mixture over 8 buns. Repeat process with remaining 12 dough balls for second layer. First the dough balls, 2 Tbsp. sugar/cinnamon and finally the remaining butter/brown sugar mix.

Let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour then bake for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees F. You may need to lay a piece of foil over top of pan after 40-45 minutes if buns start looking well done.

Remove from oven then immediately turn over onto large plate. Remove bundt pan. Serve warm or room temperature.

Comments

ryles says:

Did they taste as amazing as they look?? Wow… that looks good..

I’ve never seen the monkey bread pan.. what does it look like? Does it just have taller sides than a bundt pan??

Love it.. this might be our next Sunday breakfast..

I can’t wait to see what else you did..

BJ says:

Looks delicious! In the beginning of the instructions you mix the cream cheese and brown sugar then you add chocolate and mix weel-what chocolate? I didn’t see it in the ingredients list.

Kerrianne Lehnhof Burch says:

You say to add chocolate to the cream cheese and brown sugar mixture. What chocolate?

LeAnne says:

I have a recipe that is almost identical minus the yummy cream cheese filling. These look to-die-for-good.

In the directions you mentioned adding chocolate to the cream cheese. I didn’t see an amount for chocolate in the ingredients.

Did I miss something? :) Thanks for sharing as always!

Laura says:

Yum! I’ve never made this with the cream cheese mixtiure before–sounds very yummy!

Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the typo, in the original recipe, they add chocolate chips to the cream cheese filling, which you can do if you’d like (see link “Chef Dan”). I thought it was plenty sweet enough without. I just edited my recipe to be correct. Thanks for catching that!

Ryles,
    If you click on my link for the monkey bread mold from William Sonoma, you can see a picture of it, otherwise just use a regular size bundt pan. Enjoy!

Melanie says:

I’ve been looking for a recipe like this…thanks! I’ll be curious about the chocolate amount, too…

Deborah says:

Oh, yum!! I’m starving right now, and this is not helping!

Emiline says:

I love stuff like this. Cinnamon-y, Sugar-y, Butter-y stuff.
    It’s so satifying.

Enza says:

I must try these this weekend!!!!!!! WOW!

Melissa says:

oh yum, I want some!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, I’ve seen Paula Deen make monkey bread on her show once and always thought about making it. I could just imagine how your house smelled!! I want to try yours today, but I’m afraid I’d eat the whole thing!!!

Melanie,
    Hope you like the rolls, you won’t be disappointed!

Hi Deborah,
    Tell me about it, these rolls were staring me in the face all day yesterday. I had one too many!

Emiline,
    Me too!

Enza,
    Hope you enjoy!

Melissa,
    You’ll be licking your fingers clean with these!

Marie,
    These could be dangerous! BEWARE!

MrsPresley says:

oh my! i love cinnamon and sugar…. this looks amazing!!!

Birdie says:

This looks great! I make something similar for our church. Next time I’m gonna try bringing this.

Enjoy the Journey says:

Hello Chef Jenny! Haha.. I love Cami and love that our ENTIRE family now relies on you for dinner and goodies! My mom used to make Monkey Bread when I was little, but never stuffed it with cream cheese! I am dying to get my hands on a bundt pan and try these out! I loved your holiday recipes… the choc. chip cupcakes and the egg nog cookies. YUM. I am terrified to make the mile high cheesecake though. I might be addicted. I do have a question, do you have anymore fabulous ideas for crock pot meals? We did the chicken and broccoli with rice that you had and loved it! Our Sunday lunches are usually one of two (thanks to you) crock pot meals and we would love to broaden our horizons! You are great and definitely one of my hero’s! Do you give lessons?

Tiffany! says:

Looks amazing although I don’t know if I could ever allow myself to bake this! I will probably eat it all myself in one sitting.

[...] can find the recipe for these by clicking here:  Well, you can get most of the recipe by clicking there.  The original recipe called for Rhodes [...]