Feb
2008

The Best of The Best In Sugar Cookies!

Cookies

I’ve had a few requests for my favorite sugar cookie recipe, so I thought I’d post it before Valentines Day if you still were in the mood for rolling cookies!

Thanks to my neighbor, Nikki, she passed this recipe on to me years ago and I have yet to make another sugar cookie. I’m not kidding folks, these turn out perfect every single time you make them. Some sugar cookies are dry and tasteless, but these are soft, buttery and sweet.

I was excited to try this rolled fondant I found at Michaels and I LOVE it! It’s a bit pricey, but I figured one box at $8 covers about 20 cookies. They look flawless and you can carve all kinds of fun designs in it, I just didn’t have much time to play around with it today. Give it a try if you like this smooth look, it really covers the cookies beautifully!

Here’s what the box looks like. All you do is roll it out to an even thinness, use the same cookie cutter you cut your cookie into, brush a light layer of corn syrup on top of the cookie then press the cut fondant over your cookie. It’s that easy.

Love it!

Here’s the classic vanilla frosting with sprinkles. This version is the kids favorite for sure! These are fun to decorate. I just used a canned frosting. Lazy today.

Soft Perfect Sugar Cookies

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup sour cream
6 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
2. In 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.
3. Once chilled, roll and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes depending on how thick you cut your cookies. Remove and let cool. Frost and decorate as desired.

Fondant Frosting Directions:
1. Roll the fondant out into an even thinness. (I used one of those disposable cutting boards to roll the fondant, so it didn’t stick)
2. Use the same cookie cutter you cut the cookie into to cut out your shape.
3. Brush a light layer of corn syrup on top of the cookie
4. Press the cut fondant over your cookie. Press around the edges to seal. It’s as easy as that.

Comments

Deborah says:

I would have never thought to use fondant as a frosting for cookies – what a great idea!! I have a favorite sugar cookie recipe, too, (my mom’s) but I’m thinking of trying a new one tomorrow to make some cookies for Valentine’s Day. We’ll see if I have the energy!

Mags says:

I found your blog through other foodies, and have really enjoyed it, especially when I realized you were the girl on the Food Network Cook-offs I have seen recently! And I think I have seen you in the commericals for the new recipe show they are having! I first saw the build a better burger show and thought, “I bet that girl is a member of the same religion as me!” You can just tell sometimes.

Suzanne says:

These look delicious–it is so hard to find a great recipe for sugar cookies. I will give these a try!

Bonnie says:

I have had this same sugar cookie recipe for many years also! It is by far the best one ever – I think because the sour cream keeps them softer and gives a great flavor. It was given to me by a friend and I have passed it on to many as well. I think the recipe came from an old New Era (some of you know what that is, right?). Happy Valentines, all!

Grumpy's Honeybunch says:

Those are very pretty cookies! I bet they taste as good as they look! I like the fondant idea, that is something I may try myself!

The Ricks Fix says:

Thanks for the recipe…they look delish!
    I’m making some today.
    -Holly

Karen says:

Beautiful! You were so clever to use fondant over sugar cookies, great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Tracy says:

Can you believe I have never used fondant? Those cookies look so professional. I’ll have to try that.

Hi Deborah,
    I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the fondant was on the cookies. I’m sure I’ll use it again.

Hi Mags,
    Glad you found my blog, Yes, I was on the Build a better burger contest on Food Network. It was really a fun cook-off. I believe there is a commercial airing with the new cook-off starting Sunday night. I think they flash my face for a 1/2 second.

Hi Suzanne,
    Hope you enjoy these as much as I have!

Hi Bonnie,
    That’s cool that you have the same recipe. Maybe it is from a New Era Magazine. All I know is that it’s a keeper!

Grump’s Honeybunch,
    You’ll enjoy the fondant, it’s so easy and it looks so nice.

Hi Holly,
    Hope you enjoy the cookies!

Hi Tracy,
    This was actually the first time I used fondant. Now I’ve got all these other ideas I want to try with it!

Kameron says:

Can’t wait!! These are in my fridge right now, with my daughter asking every 5 minutes if it’s time yet. Not yet… I’ll have to run out to get some of the fondant tonight – how cool is that?? the bakery where i used to order my all-time favorite sugar cookies (Evelyn’s in Portland, and yes – I live in Phoenix) just RETIRED!, so I now have to find a substitute. These look very similar – fondant and very thick. Here’s hoping!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Jenny! You’ve outdone yourself AGAIN! These will find themselves in my husband’s tummy! Such beautiful photos too! Everytime I’ve tried fondant, it ends up on the floor and me crying. But I think even I can handle this.
    Thanks, Jenny.
    PS..everytime I look at the header on your blog, I keep wanting to see one of the boys riding their tricycle across the floor!

The Downtown Boutique says:

Those butterfly cookies are so pretty! I will have to try the fondant for the cookies. I’ve never worked with fondant before, but I would love to learn to do it.

And I think I’m going to have to try the recipe too! Thank you for sharing it.

Angie

Heather says:

When does the cook-off show air?

Andrea says:

I am going to have to copy your recipe, they are beautiful!!

Kevin says:

Nice looking sugar cookies. I have yet to try making sugar cookies. Bookmarked

Kameron,
    I hope your cookies turn out perfectly. Let me know what you think!

Hi Catherine,
    Your husband’s tummy will be so happy, I got a thumbs up from Mr Picky Palate himself. Maybe I can photo shop a picture of my boys flying through that beautiful kitchen, that’d be too funny. Much more realistic for sure!

Thanks Downtown Boutique,
    This is a great easy way to start working with fondant. Give it a try. If I didn’t mess it up, no one will!

Hi Heather,
    The “comfort food” show, is the one I am in and it airs March 2nd in the evening sometime. Check out the “chicken” show that airs this Sunday evening. I can’t wait to see my friend Catherine!!

Thanks Andrea!

SteamyKitchen says:

adorable cookies!

I WANT THAT KITCHEN!

Kim A says:

Oh Jonny….those are the most beautiful cookies I’ve ever seen! And don’t ever call yourself “lazy” for using canned frosting….have you seen your recipe blog….that you update every day with gourmet recipes!!! You’re the bomb, love you!

Emiline says:

These look beautiful! Both of them.
    I think I might make these tomorrow. For myself. ;)

I don’t like the sugar cookie that my family has always made. I think they’re dry and tasteless, so I’ll give this one a try.

Congrats on the giveaway!

Mary says:

Those sugar cookies are so pretty! I have been using my mother in law’s sugar cookie recipe, but these looks so nice and soft and tasty I may have to try them too!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun says:

Jenny –

Aren’t you in a cooking show soon? I thought it was sometime in Feb? Let me know cuz I don’t have cable so I am going to beg one of my friends to Tivo it for me so I can watch you!

Julie says:

I wish I could learn to frost a cookie so perfectly, those are truly beautiful.

Steamy Kitchen,
    Thanks, I’d love that kitchen as well, too bad half of my house would fit inside it!

Thanks Kimmy,
    I can always count on you to bust my confidence, thanks cutie!

Hi Emiline,
    You’ll love these, they are really tasty. How cool that I won that drawing too! That was sweet of Deborah to have that.

Hi Mary,
    Hope you enjoy!

Hi Tricia,
    The show I’m in airs Sunday March 2nd on food network. Watch at your own risk!!

Kim A says:

Jen,
    On your reply back to me, I think you meant boost your confidence, not bust your confidence :D

Kameron says:

Made these and they were YUMMY! I didn’t get to the store to buy the fondant, but they were still delicious and my 5-year old daughter loved decorating some. Will have to try the fondant next time (which I’m sure will be soon, seeing how EASY these are!). Thanks!

MrsPresley says:

those are some of the most perfect looking sugar cookies i’ve ever seen! at first i thought they were super smooth icing – until i read your post and saw it was fondant! how neat!

Cathy says:

Hands down I love Arugula, it’s adds such a depth to a recipe. This salad looks fab and is now on my weekend recipe list.

Proud Italian Cook says:

These look picture perfect Jenny! I love how the fondant looks!

Angela says:

Beautiful cookies… I have another fabulous recipe that you just have to try as well! I will email it to ya. :)

Anonymous says:

Jenny,
    I’m not much of a baker and have a few silly questions…Do you know if these cookies can be done by just dropping spoonfuls on a cookie sheet? Also does it really take 6 cups of flour, that seems like a lot?
    Thanks So Much!!

Hello Anonymous,
    I’ve never tried them just dropped by the spoonful, I’m sure they’d be fine but I would roll them in a ball then flatten with my hand before baking them so they are about 1/2 inch thick or so.

Yes, the recipe calls for 6 cups of sugar and I use all of it, you can always half the recipe, it still makes plenty. Enjoy!

JenHunsaker says:

Jenny,

Can you share your favorite vanilla frosting recipe you use for these sugar cookies? Thanks!

Jennifer

bakingblonde says:

Those cookies do look perfect and soft. I love the idea of using fondant to decorate the cookies!

Katherine from Berkeley CA says:

I just made these cookies and they were great! Thanks for the great recipe and directions :)

[...] cut outs. I was really happy with how they turned out, they’re freakin cute. ><  Sugar Cookies & [...]

[...] this attempt, I used Picky Palate’s cookie recipe, recommended by Stephanie, and as always, royal icing from Annie’s Eats. One batch yielded so [...]

pizza menu says:

Nice article on the subject. I am bookmarking this! thank you

[...] For sheer quantity, go for these soft cookies from Picky Palate [...]

Margie says:

From the March 15 comments, where the person asks if the flour measurement is correct, you replied with yes but said sugar instead of flour. I know this is an older post, but I made these tonight and I think I’ll stick to my grandma’s recipe. These puffed up like cake and tasted more like a lightly sweetened cupcake top than a sugar cookie. My husband said they tasted like cornbread. :/ They are alright, but the dough also was way too sticky to even think of rolling out. I ended up just rolling the dough in wax paper and slicing it instead of being able to use cookie cutters. I’m still trying your recipes though, they look so promising. :)

aventura says:

aventura…

[...]The Best of The Best In Sugar Cookies! | Picky Palate[...]…

[...] recipe came from Picky Palate.  I made a couple of accidental modifications.  My modifications didn’t seem to affect the [...]

[...] used this sugar cookie recipe from picky-palate.com, which was really easy to make and produced quite a bit of dough. I made it [...]

[...] picky-palate.com/2008/02/12/best-of-best-in-sugar-cookies// [...]

Kristen says:

Hi! Are these too soft to hold up as packaged cookie favors with royal icing? That sound so good, but I need a firm enough cookie. Thanks!

Kim says:

I also wondered about the flour- is 6 cups right? You responded with sugar to the other person that asked. It overheated my mixer lol.

Melly says:

Ive made this reciepe before first couple times it was great!! But than the last time I made it I let it sit in the refridgertor over night and the dough was extemly sticky, I tried adding flour and they baked soo hard, the cookie wasnt that good.
    Any suggestions?
    Are we able to freeze the dough?

Melly, I would stick to the recipe exactly if you put it in the fridge and it didn’t work. However, I remember putting my dough in the fridge and it being fine. I never tested freezing it. :)

• Melly says:

I did freeze it last night, I put the dough in the fridge this morning, I will let you know how it bakes tonight.
        Thanks for your response Jenny! :)

[…] click. (But then come back because you need the frosting…) The recipe for the cookie part is HERE.  My only advice on the cookies is to cut them thick (thicker than you think) and do not […]