Apr
2008

Grilled Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken 2 Ways

Tags: ,

Dinner

I am a huge fan of bruschetta, any style really, but especially fresh tomato, basil and garlic bruschetta. I wanted to turn some boring pieces of chicken into something the whole family would enjoy.

Altering dinner is somewhat typical at my house lately. My husband who is now wearing braces, has a hard time biting into hard crusty bread, so he needs foods eaten with a fork. This first recipe was for him so he doesn’t freak out me! I was actually surprised how tasty this grilled chicken was on it’s own, do give it a try. I love my indoor grill pan, they are so handy, if you don’t have one go check them out.

Balsamic Grilled Bruschetta Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed (I use the big Costco bag)
Pinch of salt
¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese

4 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced
8 fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled and thinly sliced into chiffonade
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat on the stovetop. Spray with cooking spray. Combine balsamic and olive oil in a bowl. Season both sides of chicken with pinches of salt and place on grill. Brush top sides of chicken with balsamic mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes and flip chicken. Brush with additional balsamic and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. During the last 2 minutes of grilling place 2 slices of cheese over top each chicken to melt.

2. In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, basil garlic, salt and balsamic. Toss gently to combine. Place chicken breasts on a serving plate and top with tomato mixture. Serve warm.

Garlic Toasted Balsamic Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich
Mmmm, here’s my pick. My boys were all for the sammy too. Garlic ciabatta rolls, toasty and warm. Fresh mozzarella oozing out the sides with the same balsamic grilled chicken and tomato topping. The balsamic vinegar is so good basted on the chicken as it grills and drizzled into the tomato topping. My youngest little guy was eating the tomato and basil straight from the bowl. He’s a smart boy! Definitely takes after his mother.

I also find it helpful to pound the chicken to an even thickness before grilling it. The chicken will cook evenly and quicker this way. Get a meat mallet and let the chicken have it! It’s actually quite fun, my boys were looking at me funny as I was pounding away. If you get the Costco bag of chicken breast by Tyson, thaw it in it’s individual wrap and pound it right in the wrapper, it works great and less mess to clean up.

Thank you Barbara over at Barbara Bakes for another “You Make My Day” Award. I have such wonderful cooking friends. I enjoy reading everyone’s cooking blogs, a little too much, I could be at this computer for hours!

Well, it’s 8:00pm, boys are in bed and I’ve got to go see what happened on American Idol! Have a great week everyone! Happy cooking!

Garlic Toasted Balsamic Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts from above recipe
Pinch of salt
¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil

4 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced
8 fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled and thinly sliced into chiffonade
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

8 thin slices fresh mozzarella
4 ciabatta rolls, or other rolls of choice

2. In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, basil garlic, salt and balsamic. Toss gently to combine. Set aside.

3. Preheat same grill pan over medium heat and spray with additional cooking spray. Place 2 slices of cheese on bottom rolls then layer with chicken breasts, spoonfuls of tomato mixture and 2 more slices of cheese. Place top rolls to close sandwich and grill both sides on hot grill pan until toasty and warm. Serve warm.

Comments

Leah says:

Yum, Jenny! A good grill pan is on my current kitchen wish list. Did you get those ciabatta rolls at Costco? I LOVE their breads!

Now I’m craving tomatoes and basil and it’s 10 minutes before bed!

Barbara Bakes says:

Your sandwich looks delicious! It reminds me of the bruschetta chicken sandwich at Red Robin that I love.

Sarah says:

Oh my goodness! Both of these look amazing. I’m going to have to make them both soon. Thanks for posting!

Hi Leah,
    You’ll love your grill pan, they come in so handy. I got my rolls from Walmart of all places, that’s the one thing I always pick up there!

Hi Barbara,
    Thanks again for the award! I too, love Red Robin! Great food.

Thanks so much Sarah,
    Hope you enjoy!

Dan & Ashley says:

Hi Jenny, my name is Ashley and I’m a friend of Sandee’ McKenzie’s (I met her in San Francisco) and I heard about this blog through her. I just wanted to tell you how great your recipes are and how much I appreciate you posting them for us all to use! I’m not the greatest cook in the world so this helps me get fresh new ideas and get more excited about it! Plus, everything I try making from your blog is always so delicious! So thanks a ton and I’ll definitely keep visiting!

Steph says:

Great post Jenny! I love anything with tomato in the recipe, and this looks super tasty! I love Walmart breads too, I try and pick them up whenever I do my weekly shopping. You have a great week as well!!!

Emiline says:

This bruschetta chicken looks awfully good. I love the oozing fresh mozzarella.

Prudy says:

Jenny, that looks downright delicious. I can’t wait to try that when my tomatoes come in this summer. Your photography is amazing!

Ashley,
    It’s great to have you here! Glad Sandy sent you over. Hope you will continue to find some good ideas for dinner!

Thanks Steph,
    If I have to go to Walmart, at least I can pick up some good bread!

Thanks Emiline,
    I love fresh mozzarella, it’s so good.

Thanks Prudy,
    I wish I could garden! How fun to use ingredients from your own backyard.

Patsyk says:

My vote would go for the sammy, too! I adore bruschetta and this recipe sounds like something nearly everyone in my family would eat… of course, the “no sauce” kid would have to have me pick everything off first!

Deborah says:

Yum!! They both look delicious, but especially the sandwich!

Lisa says:

Jenny,
    The sandwich looks great! (and so do the cheesecake pops)

I love bruschetta, especially in the summer when I can get some Jersey tomatoes…can’t wait until July!

Leigh Anne Wilkes says:

Both these look wonderful. I love bruschetta too and especially the balsamic vinegar. Will try the sandwiches on my new panini grill! Thanks.

PheMom says:

This looks so good. I think the sandwich would be my favorite. I’m a total bread fiend. Yum!

Kuckie says:

Mmmm…that looks amazing! I’ve been reading for a while now…can’t even remember how I got to your blog! But I’m enjoying all the new recipes! You can never have enough! Thanks!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Both ways would be a hit in my house! All those flavors blend so good together. You’re always cooking up something good Jenny!!

Kevin says:

That sandwich looks so good and sounds really tasty!

Claire says:

This looks fantastic! My mom has recently discovered that she likes bruschetta, so I think she’s like this. I’ll have to make it next time I’m home.

dobetter says:

Oh yum! I’ll take the sandwich please!

Hi Patsyk,
    Sounds like the sammy has most votes, it is my favorite for sure!

Thanks Lisa,
    I bet those tomatoes are incredible!

Hi Leigh Ann,
    Ooo this would be great in a panini press. I’ve always wanted one of those!

Thanks Phemom,
    I am a bread fanatic too, give me a nice warm sourdough and I’d be in heaven!

Hi Kuckie,
    Thanks for visiting my blog, glad you are enjoying the recipes. I’m with you, one can never have enough recipes!

Thanks Marie!
    The grilled chicken breast tasted much better than the picture turned out. I’m a fan of both.

Hi Kevin,
    It’s nice to have your picture attached to your name now!

Thanks Claire and Dobetter! The sammy wins!

Kevin and Katrina says:

Your pictures are amazing and this looks SO yummy! Need to check out our farmer’s market this Saturday and get some fresh basil. Love bruschetta! Thanks for the recipe.

Bonnie says:

This looks soooo good!!

I’m sure I’ve told you before that I think your blog ROCKS !! I thought you might like to know that I included it in a little post about cool new sites I’ve discovered ! (Yeah, AGAIN !!) You can see it on my recipe blog ~ Pass The Beans Please.

The post is called Blogs Of Interest if you are interested !:)

I’ve also added your little button to the side bar of my recipe blog !

Autumn says:

I’m officially starving!

Natalie says:

Looks great & easy! I’ll be trying this one out very soon.

Lisa says:

Oh the sandwich would be my pick too.

Your pictures are wonderful!

Stephanie says:

Thank you so much for posting this…I tried it tonight and DH and I loved it. He said it tasted like something from a restaurant. You made our night..thanks again!!!

Zen Chef says:

Oh my good lord!
    It’s way too late (1:09am) to crave Bruschetta. What am i gonna do?

RecipeGirl says:

This looks amazing. Your photography is really getting great!!

I wish my little one would eat tomatoes and basil from the bowl… maybe when we actually pick our tomatoes from our garden.

Birdie says:

The chicken looks great. I’ve been away for a while and was surprised to see the new look of the Picky Palate. It looks really good, love it. It takes a little longer for it to load but it could be on my end too! I am after all techno challenged

Tanja says:

Now you’re talking-this sounds amazing!

Brittany says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit!! It was wonderful! I’m going to keep this recipe in my all-time favorites. I can’t wait to try it in the sandwich next time. Thanks for sharing!!

Christy and Pete says:

Delicious! This recipe was so easy, but packed full of flavor. I made this last night for my husband and visiting Mom. It was a HUGE hit! Thank you for the yummy recipe! I can’t wait to make the sandwich version. I am planning to do that the next time we have friends over for a weekend bbq! Many thanks! I love reading your blog!

Kameron says:

Made these (sammies) last week, and *everyone* loved them! My mouth is watering just thinking about them right now. Also good vegetarian-style with just the bruschetta and mozzarella. Seriously – I think I’ll have to go down and whip one up for lunch. Oh – no ciabattas. DANG IT! Ü

Jen says:

I just fell in love with your site and printed out like 20 recipes. They all look so good!!! Keep them coming :)

Jaime says:

i love the idea of making this into a sandwich!

tlm says:

Yum! This was delish!

Molly says:

Hey Jenny,
    I just made this for the hubs last night and we both LOVED it! Bruschetta is one of the few ways he'll eat tomatoes (which are a favorite of mine), so I'm always looking for ways to use them that we'll both like. Thanks again for all of your wonderful and delicious ideas.

Grace says:

It looks yummy…did you get the bread from Walmart super center (their bakery)…We just have a regular walmart here and I don’t recall seeing any ciabatta bread.

Annie B says:

Very useful post, thanks a lot. Nice blog as well! I might start my own blog soon, do you have any advice? Whats the best host to use, WordPress or Blog engine? Annie B

Amy says:

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! My husband and I were living in The Netherlands and cooking was so difficult especially with their small kitchens and the availability of certain ingredients from my U.S. recipes. Fortunately they do have a lot of fresh vegetables, bread, and cheeses there. I made these insanely delicious paninis for company when I knew that all my recipes from home would be impossible. They are fabulous! Now that we are back I think we are overdue for some Chicken Bruschetta Paninis! Insanely delish!

[...] Garlic Toasted Balsamic Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich  [...]

Kelly says:

Made the sandwiches last night for supper and everybody here LOVED it. VERY easy to make, smells delicious–and tastes delicious too!!! Only the dogs were sad as there were only a few crumbs of leftovers. It was such a hit that we’re having it again tomorrow. :) I’m sure that I’ll be making this recipe lots. Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

[...] would like to thank Picky Palate for introducing me to this recipe last fall so that I can talk about it today and pass it onto you! [...]

[...] meant to combine two different recipes (see here and here) but I really ended up using the later more. We served it over linguine. Overall the recipe was so [...]

Lacee says:

I saw this yesterday and HAD to make it TODAY!! It turned out amazingly. I added garlic to balsamic/olive oil mix and that added a lot of flavor! Thanks for sharing :)

[...] picky-palate.com via Carissa on [...]

[...] with this incredible recipe for Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken. If you are a chicken parmigiana lover, this recipe is sure to please as it puts an interesting twist on the classic dish. The fresh bruschetta and [...]

[...] It has been a busy week, hence the lack of posting.  It’s a Sunday and Laura was hungry.  She wanted something to eat that was tasty and apparently easy enough to make so I would do it.  I know her game.  Inspiration found here. [...]