May
2008

Sweet and Salty Butterscotch Candied Popcorn

Tags:

Desserts

What a nice, busy Mother’s Day weekend we’ve had! I am so lucky to have such a great family. My boys were so sweet, they sent me on a little scavenger hunt to find my Mother’s Day Surprise, what cuties they all are! Hope everyone has enjoyed time with their families this weekend!

We got home a little early this evening and I felt like baking something. I had to buy a bunch of boxes of Kettle Corn over the weekend to make popcorn balls for a lesson I was teaching in church, and had quite a few boxes left over. I decided on this sweet and salty candied popcorn creation with some butterscotch chips I had in the pantry.

This popcorn tastes like something you’d buy at Harry and David’s, it’s seriously that good. My picky husband gave it the thumbs up, even with his braces!

I love the sweet and salty contrast of this popcorn with the slightly crunchy outer coating. The butterscotch flavor is really mild, it’s more caramel tasting with a hint of butterscotch. So yummy! I think I’ll try those cinnamon chips next time.

And how cute are these popcorn boxes? I found them at one of my all time favorite stores, Cost Plus World Market. I think it came with 20 boxes for about $6.00. They have such fun unique products there, if you haven’t been, be sure to check it out for fun finds.

My boys were already asleep when I made this popcorn, but I know they will be begging for a bag full first thing in the morning. It wouldn’t be a recipe of mine if it wasn’t easy, so whip a batch up and enjoy!

Sweet and Salty Butterscotch Candied Popcorn

1 3.3oz bag Kettle Corn popcorn, popped and all un-popped kernels removed
1 Cup dry roasted peanuts
1 Cup butterscotch chips
6 Tablespoons butter
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1/3 Cup corn syrup
¼ teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place popped popcorn and peanuts onto a large rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed lightly with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place butterscotch chips, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a light boil. Remove from heat and pour evenly over popcorn and nuts. Gently stir to coat mixture over popcorn. Bake in oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

3. Remove from oven and pour onto parchment paper to cool. Break into pieces and serve. Enjoy!

Comments

Lisa says:

Can visitors come to your ward’s Enrichment Night? Oh, maybe not. Plus, living on the other side of the world would make it a little difficult for me to get there…But I haven’t been to and Enrichment Night in years upon years and I would LOVE to see you teaching how to make something, for a change from reading about it.

natalie says:

ohhh thanks for sharing this recipe!! i will def have to get some kettle corn to make some of this! wish i had this recipe yesterday to surprise my mom- this is one of her all time favorite snacks!

Heather says:

I love caramel corn! This looks so good, it is only 6:20 in the morning and my mouth is watering, plus you gotta love a quick and easy treat!

Patsyk says:

That popcorn looks so good! I love the pictures!

Steph says:

I love popcorn, one of my favorite treats! Looks so tasty, send some my way please!!! :)

Emiline says:

I LOVE the popcorn boxes. They’re so cute. Please tell me you’re putting these pics on tastespotting.

I think this sounds really good. I’ll have to try this recipe in the future.

Kevin says:

Butterscotch popcorn sounds really good!

Erika says:

This looks great and the boxes are too cute!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

I love Harry & David’s popcorn, so this looks like a must-try!

Leah says:

I’m a huge popcorn fan so I might have to go on a hunt for a set of those darling boxes!

Lisa says:

Those boxes are adorable! This would also be great for my children to give to their Sunday school teachers at the end of the year. Thanks!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Sweet an salty! The best of both worlds! Love this and love your boxes.

PheMom says:

I bet your class loves you!! My friend is now teaching the 5 year olds. Hilarious because her hubs is still kid-phobic (except of our almost 5 year old).

This is some fantastic looking popcorn!

Jerry says:

I should never go to Tastespotting.com hungry because I find recipes like this that I want to appear made in front of me!

RecipeGirl says:

That does sound yummy. I love the popcorn boxes too. Will have to try and find those!

Veronica says:

mmmm…I love sweet things on popcorn-I’ll bet if you threw in some chocolate it would be good too! Great pictures, I just want to reach out and take some!

Thanks for all of your nice comments everyone! My husband thinks it’s ridiculous that I like to comment back to everyone, but I like to, so Thanks!!

Tracy says:

I so have to make this.

And I comment back too. Tell your husband you are not ridiculous, and I say so! :-)

Pattie says:

Made this wonderful popcorn yesterday. My son and I couldn’t stop eating it. My husband thought it was too sweet. All the more for me and my boy!!!!

Thanks again for your great recipes!

Camilla says:

Hi Jenny,

I saw this earlier in the week and decided to make it for a get-together at a friend’s house (to watch Top Chef!) Everyone loved it (me especially, I popcorn and salty-sweet). Thanks for the yummy recipe, Jenny!

brandy says:

I made this for the Jazz game last night!! My husband liked the treat better than the game!! Can you imagine? Another great recipe. Thanks!!

Hi Tracy,
    I’ll be sure to tell him!!

Patty,
    Glad you enjoyed it, I’m ready to make another batch myself!

Hi Camilla,
    So glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe. Great idea to have it as a snack for the show!

Brandy,
    Glad the popcorn was a hit! Thanks for commenting to let me know!

erinwillis says:

Do you think this would be good with peanutbutter chips and white chocolate chips? I got a great deal on some last week and this looks so yummy!

Hi Erin,
    Absolutely, next time I make this I’ll be using some other flavors too. Let me know how it turns out!!

Anonymous says:

I made this tonight and used Orville Redenbacher’s butter popcorn as the base instead of the kettle corn. It was great baked up and crispy but we preferred the bits that we snacked on before putting it in the oven. I guess we’re just into gewey “caramel” popcorn. Yummy either way. Thanks for posting.

Paula says:

What a fun snack!

[...] you like my cinnamon sugar caramel popcorn, you might also like: Sweet and Salty Butterscotch Candied Popcorn from Picky Palate Festive Popcorn from Big Red Kitchen Herbed Buttermilk Popcorn from 101 Cookbooks [...]

very good, thankss