Jun
2008

A Father’s Day Dinner With a Kick!

Tags: , ,

Dinner

Adobo Peach BBQ Chicken with Smoky Potatoes and Sweet Sauteed Corn

Anyone else up at 12:30am? I’m nuts, my boys are going to up in less than 6 hours. I was catching up on some shows that I tivo’d last week. I finally got through Top Chef, so now I’m ready for the finale Wednesday night. Then, I couldn’t help but watch The Next Food Network Star that I missed last night, so entertaining, I love it. Oh, and then there was the Bachelorette, what a great season. No wonder I’m still up at this hour!

Ok, I’ve been meaning to put this dish together for over a week now and finally did it tonight. It was inspired by a dish I had at Tia Rosa’s in Mesa that I fell in love with. I re-created it at home and it was easy and delicious! It would be perfect for a Father’s Day Dinner, any Dad would be thrilled. I think I’ll make it again Sunday night. You might want to double the corn recipe, you’ll eat it by the bowlfuls. It is such a treat.

Alright, I’m going to try and catch a few zzzz’s with my sister’s snoring dog in the room! Hope you all enjoy!

Sweet Sauteed Corn

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
½ Cup finely diced white onion
4 ears fresh corn, kernels removed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons honey

1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute red and green bell pepper with the onion for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in corn, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and honey until well combined and melted through. Serve warm.

Smoky Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs washed, peeled and cubed potatoes
½ stick butter (4 tablespoons)
1 1/2 Cup milk (more if you like thinner mashed potatoes)
8 oz sour cream
1 ¼ teaspoons salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (Lawry’s)
4 Tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotles, add more if you like it spicy)

1. Boil potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Transfer drained potatoes to a large stand mixer bowl with the butter. Start to mix on low speed until mashed. Add milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic salt and adobo sauce until well combined. Taste and season accordingly with additional salt/garlic salt if desired.

Adobo Peach BBQ Chicken

18 chicken tenders
1 1/4 Cups Peach preserves
¼ Cup adobo sauce (canned chipotle sauce), add more if you like it spicy hot!
½ Cup BBQ sauce
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1. Place chicken tenders into a large zip lock bag. Pour in peach preserves, adobo sauce, BBQ sauce, salt and garlic. Marinate for at least 1 hour.

2. Preheat indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high heat. Spray grill with cooking spray. Grill chicken for 3-4 minutes per side or until cooked through.

Adobo Peach BBQ Chicken with Smoky Potatoes and Sweet Sauteed Corn

Comments

Prudy says:

Looks delicious-I know my husband would love it!

Tiffanyrose says:

I am a huge follower of your blog and I think I just found my Fathers Day recipe!! Thank you!!!

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

I forgot to watch the Bachelorette last night and I am so mad! What did she get all upset about?

Kandi says:

I could eat adobo sauce on food every day! I bet adding a few chipotle peppers to the corn would make my husband (and me happy).

That looks awesome, we will for sure try this! Thanks!

Hope you got some rest, I tend to stay up at odd hours too!

Thanks Prudy, my hubby gave it the thumbs up and he’s the pickiest of the fam!

Hi Tiffany,
    Thanks for your comment, Hope your family enjoys!

Hi Emily,
    You missed a great show. Deanna was upset because the guys from the outhouse invited her to a BBQ and weren’t paying enough attention to her. There were also some guys that went inside the house to pout, so she got upset. “The most dramatic show yet!” as Chris Harrison would say!

Hi Kandi,
    I too love adobo. I left the corn sweet so I didn’t spice out my family, but chipotle peppers would be great in it. Hope you enjoy!

Susan says:

i love the idea of using adobo in the mashed potatoes!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Jenny,
    You are a wonder! I have to be in bed by ten (with my Sudoku) or else things fall apart! I love Tia Roses! Go there all the time to the take-out part for my Daddy-O.
    What a nice menu! So perfect for the guys! Especially those mashed potatoes!
    (good luck with the video – wink, wink!)

Autumn says:

I was planning on making BBQ chicken tonight – this might be the whole shebang!

Grace says:

what a fabulous meal from start to finish! i would enjoy every single bite of food on that plate, and that rarely happens!

meanwhile, i’m hooked on the bachelorette as well! which fella are you pulling for? i adore jason, and i think he deserves better than miss deanna. :)

Hi Susan,
    I really enjoyed the adobo in the potatoes as well. Great smoky flavor.

Catherine,
    I prefer to be in bed at ten, but sometimes I get so hooked on those reality shows. Bad habit!

Hi Autumn,
    Let me know how you like it!

Thanks Grace!
    I really like Jason too, he seems really sweet. I just don’t know if Deanna can resist Graham though. Something about those bad boys! My guess is Jason, Graham and Jason in the top 3. Glad I’m not the only one who watches the show!

Patsyk says:

What a fantastic meal! I can’t wait to try the corn first!

cullerclan says:

hey jenny! where do you get adobo sauce? my husband has been asking me to make him something with it and then I saw this recipe and was so excited cuz I can finally make it for him and for fathers day!!! hope things are good for you and your fam. have a great day! analee

Hi Patsy,
    Yes, the corn is my favorite! Enjoy!

Hi Analee,
    Look for a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the mexican isle of any grocery store. I usually get it at Walmart. Just use the sauce that the chipotle peppers are in. Hope your hubby enjoys! Have a great Father’s Day.

DM says:

I am wondering where to buy adobo sauce. What isle would I find it on in the store?

My Sweet & Saucy says:

What a great dinner for Father’s day! Thanks!

Emiline says:

Everything sounds delicious! I really like the idea of the chicken, because I love peach.

Top Chef tonight…yay!

Hi DM,
    Look in the Mexican isle by all the salsas, enchilada sauce, jalapenos etc. Look for a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Use the sauce that’s in that can. Enjoy.

Thanks My Sweet and Saucy

Thanks Emiline! I love peach too, and Go Stephanie! I hope she wins the show!

careymc says:

LOVE both the bachelorette and Food Network Star. :) (I think you should audition next season…).

Have you seen adobo sauce at Trader Joes?

Deborah says:

I was just thinking of what to make my husband for dinner on Sunday (even though he’s not a father yet!) This looks perfect!

Clint~Katie~Morgan says:

I made the corn last night and my husband was skeptical at first because of the honey, but he LOVED it! Thanks!

Pattie says:

I made this meal tonight. It was a big hit! I didn’t add the adobo sauce to the potatoes, though. I never thought to use the mixer to make the mashed potatoes….real creamy and smooth. The honey in the corn was a good idea. Thanks again.

CrabbyMom says:

HI, I made the chicken and the corn tonight. The corn was delicious. The chicken I didn’t grill, I just made it on the stovetop in a regular pan and I used split breasts. I LOVED the sauce but I wanted more of it on the chicken. I am probably going to put the sauce and chicken in the crock pot next time and serve over veggies. (I love, love, love my crockpot and often try to find uses for it). I am planning to make the chicken salad tomorrow. I might cut some of the mayo with yogurt though, we’ll see. Thanks for some great ideas in recipes!!

Anonymous says:

Do you cook the corn prior to making the sweet sauteed corn or do you just slice off the kernels raw? Thanks!

Rachel Pennington says:

Hi there –
    Great recipes. Even though I marinated the chicken for a few hours, the marinade did not penetrate to add enough flavor. I will use more adobo sauce next time around. The mashed potatoes were good, but the kicker was the corn. Adding the honey was a nice tough.

[...] Adapted from Picky Palate’s Sweet Sauteed Corn: 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 red bell pepper, finely diced 1 green bell pepper, finely diced ½ Cup finely diced white onion 4 ears fresh corn, kernels removed ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon pepper 2 Tablespoons butter 3 Tablespoons honey -Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. -Saute red and green bell pepper with the onion for 5 minutes, stirring often. -Stir in corn, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. -Stir in the butter and honey until well combined and melted through. -Serve warm. [...]