Aug
2008

Garden Vegetable Lasagna To Die For and School Fun!

Tags:

Dinner

Wow, it’s already Thursday night, what a fast week! Ok, brace yourself for this lasagna. It is worth all the preparation, I promise! I cut into the pan a little soon, so you can’t see all the pretty pasta layers, but let me tell you this lasagna is a keeper. Veggis were flying all over my kitchen as I was putting it all together. I’m not one to toot my own horn, but it really couldn’t have turned out any better. I have been in hog heaven having the leftovers and know I’ll be making it often.

The best part is, I presented it to the boys in their little bowls, all cut up, with their spoons ready and they dug right in. I told them it was lasagna and it tasted like spaghetti and meatballs. They loved it! Chock-full of garden fresh veggis and heavenly layers of ricotta and mascarpone cheese…..Enjoy!

Read the funny things my little guy said about his day at school at the end of this post, it’ll make you smile!

Garden Vegetable Lasagna with Ricotta Mascarpone Layers

Homemade Pasta Sauce

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 Cup finely diced white onion
4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
28 oz can Muir Glen Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes, put in food processor and pulsed until nearly smooth
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
6 oz can tomato paste
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes, stirring often then stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato paste and basil leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to use.

Vegetable filling

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
½ Cup thinly sliced fennel
2 Cups broccoli florets
2 Cups diced eggplant
4 Cups fresh baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced

Pinches of salt

1. Heat oil into a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Saute all ingredients for 10-12 minutes, season with a couple pinches of salt, stirring often or until softened to your liking. Cook longer for softer texture. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to use.

Ricotta Mascarpone Layers

1 ½ pounds part skim ricotta cheese (about 1 ½ big containers)
1 Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
½ Cup soft mascarpone cheese
2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt

1. Place all ingredients into a large bowl; stir until well combined.

9 oz oven ready lasagna noodles, try the whole wheat, it was great
2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese

To Assemble:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat bottom of a large 9×13 inch baking dish with a couple ladles of homemade sauce. Next, layer with lasagna noodles. Spoon 1/3 Ricotta Mascarpone mixture over noodles, spreading slightly (I used my fingers). Top evenly with 1/3 vegetables. Repeat this process 2 more times or until all ingredients are used up. The top layer should be lasagna noodles. Pour remaining sauce over noodles then sprinkle with 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake covered for 45-50 minutes, then remove foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.

2. Let sit in pan for 15 minutes before cutting into it. Serve and enjoy!

8 servings

_______________________

“Mom, you are not going to believe this….. There are 3 girls in my class that LOVE me!” And today at lunch, this boy took my hamburger and threw it right on the ground, and he was smiling about it! And Mom, you better close your ears for this next part…..I picked it up off the ground and ate it!”

I am loving the Kindergarten drama already! This is the end of week 2 and I get earfuls everyday from my cutie. After he told me about the girls who love him, I opened up his backpack and found 3 love notes. My favorite was a picture of a girl wearing a crown and a boy, holding hands with both of their names written on it, then on a separate note was their wedding cake. I love this! I will be saving these notes forever, totally priceless! Oh, and we had a nice conversation about sticking up for yourself at school too. I hope I don’t get a call from the principal!

Have a great rest of the week and try some yummy Lasagna!

Comments

Mandy says:

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment, you seriously made my day!:)
    yum! I love marscapone but am a little afraid of it since it’s so fattening. Mixing it w/ low-fat ricotta sounds perfect!
    3 girlfriends! Wow, you’re handling that well!:)
    -Mandy

hot garlic says:

Yum! My mouth is literally watering. This looks so, SO good. I have been searching for that really good veg lasagna recipe. From the pics this LOOKS like a keeper for sure!

Prudy says:

Jenny:
    This one looks unbelievably good! I’m totally up for the extra work for one of your fabulous creations. I’d love that for Sunday dinner. How cute about your little heartbreaker. Sounds like a Prom King in the making.

Kami says:

Elizabeth tagged me and I had to pick 6 blogs to tag and yours is one of them! Instructions are on my blog – hope you play along. :)

Barbara Bakes says:

Thanks for sharing about your son! The lasagna looks delicious.

HoneyB says:

Your lasagna looks awesome!

Aren’t little boys wonderful? No matter how old they get, they are going to always be your little boys!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Jenny, your lasagna looks do delicious. I could eat it for breakfast right now! I loved the sotry about your son, too cute. I”m sure this is the beginning of many girls falling for your cutie.

Katrina says:

Your lasagna looks divine. I’ve been making lasagna (it’s probably my signature dish, besides cookies) for years and I always cut up all the veggies I can and stick them in it. Yummy way to “hide” the nutrition. I’ll have to try the marscapone, I’ve never used it before. Actually, I’m cheap, I usually do cottage cheese pulsed in a food processor, until it looks just like ricotta. Every now and I then I use ricotta. Someday I’ll make it more costly and rich like yours. It looks so good!

Mary Ann says:

Jenny, I absolutely love lasagna that is full of veggies. I am going to have to make this- lasagna is a favorite. Great idea!
    Loving the notes from little girls in school. How cute is that?

Sarah says:

So cute! And that lasagna sounds to die for…another recipe in the queue!

Sarah says:

So cute! And that lasagna sounds to die for…another recipe in the queue!

carol says:

You lasagna looks heavenly Jenny-and what a great way to use some vegetables from the garden too!
    Your son is just TOO cute for me…loved the part about the hamburger and him picking it up and eating it-don’t listen to that Mom! Sounds like something my grandson would do!!! He comes home from school with plenty of tales that make his mother’s hair about stand on end! Boys will be boys-and there’s no other way to have it! Cherish these times…they’re gone in the blink of an eye.
    -Carol

Hi Mandy,
    I love all of your great ideas on your blog! The mascarpone is surely a treat, not to have everyday!

Hi Natalie,
    I’ll be keeping this one around! Thanks!

Thanks Prudy,
    Yes, a few extra steps than I am used to, but totally worth it! My little heartbreaker is so funny!

Hi Kami,
    I’ll go check it out!

Thanks Barbara!

Hi Shelby,
    Yes, my boys will always be my babies!

Thanks Katherine!
    I know I’m in for all kinds of drama, I can’t wait!

I know, I’m with you Katrina,
    I have a hard time spending extra cash on certain things, but I will tell you, this one is worth it!

Thanks Mary Ann!

Hi Sarah, Thanks!

Thanks Carol,
    I love your words of wisdom, may we all cherish these times with our kids!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Wow, that is tooo cute about your little boy. And I love the fact you have mascarpone in your lasagna. I have a lasagna I swear by for the holidays but I need to try this for a veggie version. Thanks!!!

Anne says:

Your little guy is hilarious. And that lasagna looks fabulous!

Hi Stephanie,
    I’m like a magnet to the fancy cheeses at the grocery store. I want it all!

Thanks Anne,
    He has quite the personality!

Amy says:

Jenny,
    All of your recipes look so great! Can’t wait to try this one! I have a little guy that just started kindergarten this year…too fun!!

Lisa says:

This does look to die for especially since lasagna is one of my favorites. Isn’t kindergarten fun? Funny stories and an adorable picture. My son just finished k.

Rebekah says:

veggie lasagna is my favorite, I can’t wait to try this version!! you make scuh yummy recipes! thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. it made my day!

Deborah says:

I love veggie lasagna, and this one sounds soo delicious! Your son is too cute!

Noor says:

Oh what a cutie you have (well two actually). You know the thought of my son (he is 1) going to school almost brings me to tears, how did you do it? That is so funny how kids learn so fast about life. At this age they are so pure (ahh, thats what I do not want to ever go away) and they just think boys and girls love one another and get married (the way it should be).

You know I wish you had a cook book filled with all your recipes bc I think you have something better going on then the sneaky chef. I think I will try to print a lot of your recipes and save them for my family. I love the idea of hiding healthy things in the food but yet it still tasting good. I have really started trying to do this more and more. So thanks for the kick in the butt.

And about thsi recipe ugh where is my plate????

Candy says:

Not to be a party pooper–But enjoy the cute stories while they last. I’m lucky if I get an “it was okay” when I ask my teenager how his day was. And his older brother used to tell me WAY too much!

Candy

carin davis says:

looks DELICIOUS!!! i can’t wait to try it!!!!! love the kindergarten stories- such a fun age!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Yum, yum, YUM! Lasagna is always worth the work. It’s my favorite! I’ll be bookmarking this one for sure!

lucy says:

You had me at “marscapone”, I didn’t even need to read the recipe to know that I’m definetely going to make it.
    Consider yourself lucky…I have 3 boys and the oldest just started first grade. It’s like pulling teeth trying to get details out of him about his day! Last year, he had a little friend who wrote him love notes but I had to find out through the girl’s mom and through looking in his backpack!
    I think you’ve mentioned a kitchen store in Gilbert a couple of times – can you tell me the name of it again? I’ll be up there next week and might have some time to stop in. Thanks!

Sharon says:

You have a little ladies man, huh? :) He sounds like such a cutie.

This lasagna makes me SO hungry! I’ve started to like veggie lasagna even more than the classic.

Thanks Amy,
    Isn’t Kindergarten the best?!

Me too Lisa,
    Lasagna could be on my menu every week! Have fun with your big 1st grader this year!

Hi Rebekah
    This was the first time I’ve made veggi lasagna and I am sold! Hope to see you here again!

Thanks Deborah!

You are so funny Candy! I know those days are coming soon enough, I better hold on to this as long as I can!

Thanks Carin!

Hi Rachel,
    You’ll have to let me know what you think when you make it!

Too funny Lucy!
    It’s like that some days with my son as well. I can tell when he’s not up for chit chatting, but when he is look out! I think the kitchen store you are talking about is Shars Bosch Kitchen. Its on Gilbert Road and Baseline right across from Sam’s Club. Have fun!

Me too Sharon,
    I think I’m more of a fan with this version than the ol’ hamburger or sausage in the sauce.

Bridgett says:

Oh my goodness, welcome to the world of children in school! My son got love notes in kindergarten too and they cracked me up on how elaborate they were. No wonder, your son is a cutie!
    Kindergarten drama and a wonderful meal, what could be better? ;)
    Have a great weekend!

Jeena says:

I could just dig right in with a fork right now. It looks amazing Jenny and lots of healthy veggies in it too.

Don’t kids make you laugh. When my kids say funny things I just want to laugh for being so funny and give them a great big hug just for being so cute. :-D

Sara says:

Love your take on the garden vegetable lasagna. It sounds and looks delish! I’m about to post one of my favorite veggie lasagna’s, it definitely won’t compare to yours. I love all of your cheeses!

Positively Creative! says:

I just love how you can totally flip a simple recipe…like lasagna! You are great girl!

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

I can’t tell fomr your picture, but have you ever used the flat lasagna noodles? I like them so much better! I made a lasagna recently from a made up recipe of my brother in law. He served his mission in Italy and uses a boxed bechemel in his lasagna. SO yummy!
    emily

ayankeeinasouthernkitchen says:

oh, my gosh I can’t believe school is starting already. I love lasagna and your’s certainly looks good and comforting. My kind of food.

Emiline says:

Ha ha, that is SO funny!
    Ahh, young love. If only we got to wear crowns in real life…that would be fun.

The lasagna sounds so good. How could it not be, with mascarpone?

Beth says:

Sounds like he’s a bit of a ladies man already!! Better watch out!
    Lasagne looks great, also great way to get kiddies to eat veg. My daighter will eat anything if it is smothered in a cheesy sauce. I am bookmarking this one!

Hi Bridgett,
    I am really enjoying this school stuff. Boys are so much fun!

Thanks Jeena,
    The kids do say some funny things!

Sara,
    I can’t wait to see your lasagna. In my opinion, there is NO bad lasagna!!

Thanks Positively Creative!

Hi Emily,
    Yes, I used flat pasta. I didn’t have a preference of which I liked better. Your brother in law sounds like an incredible cook!!

Thanks ayankeeinasouthernkitchen!

Thanks Emiline,
    I should have taken a picture of this girls’ note, it is so cute!

Hi Beth,
    Yah, my kids get fooled everytime with a good cheesy sauce!

jeri says:

Your son is a little charmer! What a fun recipe – I’m bookmarking this one.

Clouse Cousins Cookin says:

We absolutely love your recipes and have used quite a few of them. Here’s an invitation to check out our new blog.

can’t wait to make this one and cute story

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

This seriously looks amazing! I love veggies and cheese so I can’t wait to try it and convince my kids that vegetables are yummy!

Aggie says:

Your little boy is so cute!

Great looking lasagna! Love all the veggies! One of my very favorite foods!

I was a grilling girl tonight…however, this hurricane/storm kind of got in the way, but I was determined…lightning, thunder and all! A little scary but mission accomplished! : )

Bunny says:

The recipe is wonderful! Your little ones words….priceless!! I remember those days when the kids were little. When each one of my kids had they’re first day of kindergarten i took pictures the whole walk to school! Every first day of school i would make cookies and wait for them to come home to tell me about they’re day.

~Priscilla~ says:

wow, that looks so GOOD! that and some garlic bread would be delicious! yummo. i think you might want to cover your ears, but i eat stuff of the floor too – my sister thinks it’s disgusting! maybe it is…

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Ahahah! You boy is too cute! Kids grow so fast these days, wedding cakes allready? Maybe the little girl is into baking! Maybe it will be the perfect DIL for you!
    Lasagna looks to die for!

Shannon says:

That looks amazing! I’ve never tried mascarpone in lasagna before, but I have a few quarts of homemade pasta sauce in the freezer looking for a new idea! Thanks :)

Tasty Trends says:

the lasagna looks sooo yummy!!! i have never had it with marscapone…what a great combo

btw…the story of your son was soo cute…it made me laugh out loud!!!

Anonymous says:

you’re on food network right now! it’s the chicken competition! cool!!

carol says:

Jenny-just a quick note…I took some inspiration from this gorgeous creation of yours this weekend. I had a little of a LOT of veggies in the refrigerator to use from the garden (before I get more)-so I made a version of your recipe using what I had (no Marscapone :() and made Lasagna Roll ups…instead of layering, I spread the ricotta-vegetable filling on each cooked noodle and rolled them up-spread sauce on the bottom of the pan, sauce over the top and plenty of cheese. YUM YUM! I even have some for the freezer for those “What do I make for dinner?” nights!
    Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe-and for getting my cooking juices flowing!! :)

Carol

Mindy says:

Omigosh. That looks to die for.

Patsyk says:

Looks so good! May have to try it out on my boys once we get started back to school in September (we start later here).

I love the 1st day of school comments! Absolutely priceless!