Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Sep
2008

Slide On Over…

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

Good late Wednesday night, I can hardly wait to jump into bed, but wanted to post while my little guys are sound asleep!

What a crack up little Kindergartners are. Every Wednesday morning I take my boys to school in their wagon a few minutes early so that my 3 year old can play with his brother at the “big boy” playground. I sat back in the shade watching and cracking up the whole time. I was entertained watching the girls chase the boys and the boys freaking out when the girls got too close. My favorite was watching my kindergartener introduce his little brother to all of his friends on the playground, while holding his hand. I could hardly believe my eyes when he started kissing and hugging him. If only he was that nice to him at home!

Whether you are BBQ’ing or not, these little sliders are so much fun and finger licking good. My BBQ sauce is a breeze to make and is so much better than those bottled sauces. Give it a try, you might even have all of the ingredients on hand. If you’ve never topped your BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw get going, you will just love it. Cool, crisp and a total must!

If you’ve got a second, I’ve got 2 friends that are in need of some votes. Catherine, my contesting buddy and author of the Dish Today is participating in the Tillamook Mac and Cheese Cook-off and needs your VOTE. It literally takes 1 second. Mandy from Gourmet Mom On The Go needs your VOTE as well for her yummy cupcakes, follow her link and hurry she needs it before noon Thursday! Good Luck Ladies!

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders with Creamy Cole Slaw

Homemade Finger Licking BBQ Sauce

1 ½ Cups ketchup

3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

4 Tablespoons worstershire sauce

2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice

4 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon honey

Pinch of salt

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I pressure cook mine)

Simple Coleslaw

16 oz bag of coleslaw mix

½ Cup mayonnaise or miracle whip

2 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard

1 teaspoon honey

Whole wheat dinner rolls, I used Alpine Valley (they were awesome, found them at Costco)

1. Combine all ingredients into a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and stir in shredded chicken. Let simmer.

2. Place cabbage into a large bowl. Place mayonnaise, sugar, mustard and honey into a small bowl and mix together. Pour and stir into cabbage until combined.

3. Spoon BBQ chicken onto bottom rolls. Top with a spoonful of coleslaw then close with top rolls. Enjoy!

10-12 sliders

Have a GREAT rest of the week! I’ll be back with more of the food we ate WAY too much of over last weekend!

Comments

Andrea and Casey says:

I’ve been looking at your blog, or drooling and dreaming of all the yummy food is more like it :-), for a few months. My husband jokingly told me I wasn’t allowed to look at it anymore, or watch food network, or snoop all my other tasty blogs, unless I started making some of it. So on Sunday I made your turkey lettuce wraps and they turned out fabulous. I loved them! Thank you so much for posting all of your recipes! I can’t wait to try more.

Pam says:

I love, love, love pork sandwiches with cole slaw. Great recipe – can’t wait to try it.

Nash says:

I love BBQ shredded beef or chicken and these look so good. Never tried the slaw on them but I will. Oh how I need to start working out again.

HoneyB says:

I’m going to try your sauce on venison and make these sandwiches. They look absolutely awesome. I saw your title before I got here and immediately thought mini burgers. I was close! I love anything mini so I’m loving your lasts few posts especially! :)

Clumbsy Cookie says:

So cute your kids!!!
    My barbecue recipe is similar to your so I know this will be yummy! I also love to eat mine with shreded chicken, somethimes I even cook the chicken inside the sauce for extra yuminess. But waht i dind’t try yet was the coleslaw… I think I will like it!;)
    Can’t wait t see what ele you ate! Lol!

Beth says:

My mouth is watering. Loving the BBQ sauce – Im writing it down now! My brother and I used to be very well behaved and gave off the illusion of actually liking each other..when we were out. When we were at home it was a totally different matter. My mum got a few grey hairs from all our arguments and fighting!

Emily says:

You and my older sister are in the same situation with your boys! What a fun age! Oh school days!
    Your BBQ suace sounds soooo good! We actually had BBQ Pork Sammy’s on Labor day . .. now I am definately going to have to try your recipe!

carin davis says:

does your family appreciate how lucky they are to find your dinner table in the evening!?!?!? looks delicious!!!!

Mary Ann says:

These sliders look perfect for a weekend party or easy weeknight dinner. Great idea! I can’t wait to try your homemade BBQ sauce!

Prudy says:

I love carolina sandwiches-the BBQ meat plus slaw. Your take looks delicious. Don’t you love just watching your kids around other kids?

Your kids sound adorable!!
    I like how you put the slaw on the sandwich! We ate too much too, but we keep eating that is the problem:)

Veronica says:

I love when my kids are unexpectedly nice to each other! Your sliders look fabulous-I like the rolls you used they look like they have a lot of flavor.

Lucy says:

Bright and early this morning I saw this post and thought OMQ… but getting ready for work got in the way…so I’m back drooling!! BOY!!! these look awesome ;-)

Live.Love.Eat says:

Oh gosh, the picture has made me slobber over myself. These look amazing. I have never put coleslaw on my sandwich but I totally will since you said so :) These are going on my sidebar list of morsels to make.

Dawn says:

I love that you put coleslaw on the slider. I use coleslaw in a lot of my sandwiches, burgers, calzones, etc…
    Those look soooooo good–I’m so hungry now.

Hi Andrea, so glad you enjoyed teh lettuce wraps! Thanks for commenting!

Hi Pam, Thanks, I love adding cole slaw!

Hi Shanda,
    Don’t we all need to work out more!!!??

Mmmm, I bet it’d be great Shelby let me know how it turns out.

Hi Rita,
    I’ll have to cook the chicken inside next time, bet it’s great!

Thanks Beth,
    I love how you say mum! Too cute.

Hi Emily,
    It’s fun having my little guys, you must have had a great labor day weekend too!

Hi Carin,
    I must admit, I don’t cook every night, but I try to most of the week!

Thanks Mary Ann!

Yes Prudy, the cole slaw is so cool in Carolina Sammy’s!

Thanks Maria and Veronica!

Hi Lucy,
    It is a bit early for BBQ, but what the heck, I’d have one right now!

Hi Stephanie,
    You’d be surprised how good the slaw is on BBQ, try it.

Thanks Dawn! I’m getting hungry talking about all this BBQ too!

Haley says:

What a tasty sandwich! I’ve been looking for different bbq sauce recipes and yours looks amazing!

We’d like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
    Haley
    KI Blogger

Sara says:

Your sliders look so tasty. I can’t wait to try them out. We had pulled pork sandwiches last night for a bbq. I wish I would have made your sliders. I’m sure they would have been a hit. Next time!

Sharon says:

You really are on a mini kick :) I love sliders, and more importantly pulled pork! These look so tasty!

Sara says:

Yum! These look delicious, Jenny. I’m printing the recipe out as we speak and they will be on my menu next week. Thanks! :)

Natashya says:

These look really tasty, I guess “sliders” are an American creation. What state(s) are they from?
    I will have to try these soon, I love the size too. You can choose how much you want to eat.

Katerina says:

These look so good, and using chicken would be really easy too. Thanks for the idea!

mikky says:

what a great meal… I’m sure my kids and hubby would love it… again, my thanks to you for sharing… :)

Amy says:

These look great!! We love bbq!! I can’t wait to try your sauce recipe!!

Leslie says:

WHat a sweet story about the kiddos! I would have had to taken a photo of the proof..because my husband never would have believed it!!LOL
    I will have to try your sauce..I just made Shredded BBQ sanwiches last night..but used the yucky bbq sauce..But they were still good!

Kris says:

I LOVE and appreciate you blog so much. I have a link to it on my blog and check it frequently. You do an amazing job with yummy dishes and beautiful photos. I wonder if you have more recipes using a pressure cooker. I bought one a few years ago and have hardly used it. I live in Minnesota and cole slaw on pulled pork/chicken sandwiches is the only way to go out here.

Thanks Haley,
    I’ll look into your contest!

Hi Sara,
    I love pulled pork sandwiches too, I’ll have to go with pork next time!

I know Sharon, what’s my problem?!

Great Sarah, you’ll have to let me know how they turn out for you!

Natashya,
    Funny, I don’t know where the slider originated from, I’ll have to look into that. They are mighty tasty!

Thanks Katerina, they are mighty easy, that’s what I love about them!

Hi Mikky,
    I’m always happy to share, I get so mad when people won’t share good recipes, why keep them all to yourself!??

Thanks Amy, I’m always up for BBQ too!

Hi Leslie,
    I’ve used my fair share of bottled sauce, and I must say I like it just fine. I think it’s fun sometime to make the real deal! I wish I would have had my camera at the playground yesterday!

Hi Kris,
    Thanks for your nice comments. I do have some more pressure cooker recipes, but I mostly use mine to cook my chicken these days. If I can find them I’ll be happy to email them over to you!

Grace says:

bbq chicken with cole slaw is probably my favorite sloppy sandwich. i can smear it up and down my face and drip it all over my best shirt and not really care. these look incredible, and i’m sure they are. :)

Deborah says:

I made bbq beef sandwiches for a family get-together a few weeks ago, and almost posted about them today! These look delicious!

Kelly says:

I love making bbq chicken sliders but have yet to try my hand at the sauce. I can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks.

Too funny Grace, I think I’d be joining you!

Hi Deborah,
    Can’t wait to see your sandwiches!

Hi Kelly,
    BBQ is the best isn’t it? Apparently everyone enjoys it!

The Curtis Family says:

Hey Jenny – Jarad and I went to Tennessee last year and I had my first bbq and slaw sandwich. We make them all the time now! My family thinks we’re crazy, but the combo is just so dang good!

I’m going to try your sauce. Yum I’m starving now.

Theresa says:

These look great. I love pulled pork. Can’t wait to try these!

carol says:

OK-I think the town’s gonna have to make my road longer so I have further to walk when I try and exercise all this good food of your off!!! These look wonderful…and I confess…I’m a “grab a bottle of BBQ sauce at the store” girl….I’m gonna try your recipe when this bottle in the fridge is gone. LOVE the idea of the mini sandwiches with cole slaw to boot….YUM!
    How sweet of big brother to introduce little brother to all his friends? That makes my heart smile. My 8 year old grandson is good like that about including his 1 year old brother….but the 1 year old is going through a phase of throwing everything in the trash-including big brother’s toys…and his Mom’s keys….NOT a good thing….Stephen told his mother “Mom I love my little brother to pieces but PLEASE MAKE HIM STOP!!!”
    The fun with boys never ends…..;)

~Priscilla~ says:

yummy jenny this looks so good. i know my family will love this. thank you always so much for these delicious recipes, i can’t wait for each post.

Hi Katie,
    I’m with you, the slaw is so good with the BBQ!

Thanks Theresa!

Carol,
    I look forward to reading every one of your comments. Thanks for taking the time to make my day!!

Hi Priscilla,
    You are so sweet, I always look forward to your posts too!

Nikki says:

I’m totally making these this weekend! Thanks for the recipe! I love your mini madness too!

Mandy says:

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny–you are seriously the best!! After you posted about the contest, I got a ton of votes and actually came close to winning! It’s obvious that everyone loves you and that was really nice of you to help me out. Thanks a million!

Kevin says:

Those sliders look nice and moist and full of flavour. The cole slaw looks really creamy and good.

Lisa says:

We finished dinner not too long ago and now I am hungry!

PheMom says:

I am totally going to try your BBQ sauce. I have never been a slaw fan but your sliders have about got me convinced!

Aren’t kindergartners so silly! So far we are having a good year too (though Aidan doesn’t want to talk to the girls either LOL!)

Katie's blog says:

Those look yummy. Any you are right, Kindergartners are funny. I have one and he cracks me up every day.

Bridgett says:

These look incredible! I think anyone would be happy to see these on their plate.

Helene says:

With a picture like that I would not resist eating your meal. Thanks for the great recipes.

Emiline says:

Voted!
    She has to win! She just has to.

Sliders look awesome.

PaniniKathy says:

Hooray for mini food!! I always love a BBQ/slaw combo. These look yummy!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Mandy, Glad to hear you got awfully close to winning. Your cupcakes were a winner to me!

hot garlic says:

Check, check, and check, I’ve got everything to make the sauce! Yum, will give it a try! It’s been forever since I made bbq sauce, I wouldn’t even know where to dig up the recipe!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Love these, and I love the buns, now I have to find them at Costco!

Katherine Aucoin says:

I had never heard of pork sandwiches with cole slaw until I moved here…it seems to be the status quo and it’s turned out to be a great combination. Your sliders look delicious!