Sep
2008

Slide On Over…

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

Good late Wednesday night, I can hardly wait to jump into bed, but wanted to post while my little guys are sound asleep!

What a crack up little Kindergartners are. Every Wednesday morning I take my boys to school in their wagon a few minutes early so that my 3 year old can play with his brother at the “big boy” playground. I sat back in the shade watching and cracking up the whole time. I was entertained watching the girls chase the boys and the boys freaking out when the girls got too close. My favorite was watching my kindergartener introduce his little brother to all of his friends on the playground, while holding his hand. I could hardly believe my eyes when he started kissing and hugging him. If only he was that nice to him at home!

Whether you are BBQ’ing or not, these little sliders are so much fun and finger licking good. My BBQ sauce is a breeze to make and is so much better than those bottled sauces. Give it a try, you might even have all of the ingredients on hand. If you’ve never topped your BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw get going, you will just love it. Cool, crisp and a total must!

If you’ve got a second, I’ve got 2 friends that are in need of some votes. Catherine, my contesting buddy and author of the Dish Today is participating in the Tillamook Mac and Cheese Cook-off and needs your VOTE. It literally takes 1 second. Mandy from Gourmet Mom On The Go needs your VOTE as well for her yummy cupcakes, follow her link and hurry she needs it before noon Thursday! Good Luck Ladies!

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders with Creamy Cole Slaw

Homemade Finger Licking BBQ Sauce

1 ½ Cups ketchup

3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

4 Tablespoons worstershire sauce

2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice

4 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon honey

Pinch of salt

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I pressure cook mine)

Simple Coleslaw

16 oz bag of coleslaw mix

½ Cup mayonnaise or miracle whip

2 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard

1 teaspoon honey

Whole wheat dinner rolls, I used Alpine Valley (they were awesome, found them at Costco)

1. Combine all ingredients into a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and stir in shredded chicken. Let simmer.

2. Place cabbage into a large bowl. Place mayonnaise, sugar, mustard and honey into a small bowl and mix together. Pour and stir into cabbage until combined.

3. Spoon BBQ chicken onto bottom rolls. Top with a spoonful of coleslaw then close with top rolls. Enjoy!

10-12 sliders

Have a GREAT rest of the week! I’ll be back with more of the food we ate WAY too much of over last weekend!

Comments

Aggie says:

We LOVE BBQ around here…and these look so so good. I’ve got to make this bbq sauce. What a great sandwich!! It’s making me so hungry!

Donna in VA says:

I’m printing this out and it’s going to go into my “Sunday Football” menu lineup. Sounds perfect!

Lore says:

Oh my, I can only dream of this creaminess melting along with BBQ chicken, Yum!

rubymama says:

This is such an amazing recipe! We absolutely loved it! I am in love with this site. I feel like so often I get into food ruts and lets just say it is a vicious cycle. Your recipes are so easy yet so tasty. Thanks for sharing all of your great recipes with those of us who struggle with creativity in the kitchen. Your food blog is my favorite! Thanks again!

Ashley

Kim A says:

Yum, give me some of those sliders! Is that Granna’s coleslaw recipe? Maybe you could give her a shout out ;D

Kimmin,
    You are too funny. No it’s not granna’s recipe! Little snitchy!

Care says:

DELISH! I had to take dinner to a neighbor and I couldn’t think of anything but I remembered your post and viola, the perfect, yummy dinner to share. Sweet, tangy, crunchy and healthy!

I am a consistent follower and make more of your recipes than anywhere else (i.e. other blogs, my favorite recipe books, etc.)

Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful recipes and fun uplifting antedotes!

Care,
    Thanks for your sweet comment. So glad you enjoyed these little sliders, I LOVE them too! Glad you’ve enjoyed the recipes here! It’s comments like yours that inspire me to continue blogging!! Thanks.

Aimée says:

I’ll have to try this for my little one. He’s the pickiest of them all…story of my life/inspiration for my blog…
    I’m hoping my youngest will be the foodie like his mama!

Emiline says:

I tried commenting on this the other day, but I had computer problems.

Anyway, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Noor says:

yumm my mouth is watering. And I like that they are pork free :)

Debbi says:

I made these for dinner last night and we all loved them!! Great bbq sauce and awesome coleslaw. I subbed splenda for sugar in both and used light miracle whip. This was a super healthy and delicious meal. Thanks!

Feed the moose says:

the only reason I’m not going to try this is because I live in Memphis, home of barbeque! But these do look excellent! And putting slaw on top is the way to go, for sure!

Heidi says:

This was by far the easiest bbq sauce I’ve ever made, but next time I think I will add some onion powder and garlic powder for a little extra kick. Thanks for the recipes.

CENA - My.M.Spot says:

i printed this recipe off a couple of months ago and finally made it last night. YUM! they were so delicious, everyone raved. it will definitely become a staple meal in my monthly menu planner!

Kayleen the Violinist says:

I made this recipe last night, with shredded leftover turkey and with the coleslaw on top my kids didn’t even complain about the spicy kick of the bbq sauce! Thanks for the recipes – you’re a cutie. Can’t wait to try more!

Christina says:

I love this recipe although I make it using PORK instead of the chicken. I cook the pork in the crockpot until done, take it out and shred it and then add the BBQ sauce. We made this for my daughter’s baptism when we were feeding 30 people. Everyone loved it (although a few were reluctant to put the coleslaw ON the slider) :)

Thanks for such awesome recipes!

Kayla says:

Made your BBQ sauce last night with shredded beef sandwiches and it was SO good! Way, way better than the store-bought, HFCS-laden BBQ sauce. Thanks! :)

I was looking for whole wheat buns! Thanks Jenny, now I know where to go!