Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Sep
2008

15 Minute Dinner: Chicken And Vegetable Gravy Over Puff Toast

Tags:

Cookies

Good Wednesday night everyone.

The things you see at McDonalds these days… It was half day at school today so I told the boys we could go have lunch and play at McDonalds (I know, it’s gross, but I will admit we go occasionally). As we were walking towards the door, I watched this teenage boy follow a Mom to the door as she was leaving and said, “What the bleepity bleep are you looking at?” That’s all it took for this Mom to lose it and she starts back at him in even worse language! Mind you, my children and I are standing there waiting to go through the door. I was stunned. It was the middle of the day and so uncalled for. They finally walked away with more degrading language. Get a life people! I thought fried fatty foods made people happy?! My boys certainly got an earful. Luckily they just raced toward the play area and forgot about it.

So, onto dinner. It’s hard to beat a 15 minute dinner. I remember as a kid eating chicken gravy over toast quite often and I loved it. It is easy and delicious. For the boys, I cut the pastry into little squares, then poured the chicken gravy over top in their bowls. No complaints what so ever. If you want to get fancy, garnish your plates with a sprig of rosemary and call it a night!

Chicken And Vegetable Gravy Over Puff Toast

1 sheet thawed puff pastry

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 Cup milk (I used skim and it was fine)

1 can chunk chicken, drained (from Costco)

1 can drained mixed vegetables

¼ teaspoon cajun seasoning (I use Emerils)

Pinch of salt and pepper

Pinch of garlic salt

Rosemary Sprigs for garnish, if desired

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Carefully unfold pastry onto a lightly floured counter. Cut into 9 equal size squares and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.

2. While pastry is baking, whisk together the soup and milk in a large bowl then transfer to a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, vegetables and seasonings. Break up chicken pieces with back of fork. Cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.

3. Place puff pastry squares on serving plates and spoon chicken gravy over top. Garnish with sprigs of rosemary if desired.

8 servings

Let’s End on a Sweet Note!

__________

Since dinner only takes 15 minutes, you’ve got plenty of time to make dessert. Try these fun sweet and salty turtle cookie bars. They are incredible and look great wrapped up with a bow. Enjoy!

Sweet and Salty Turtle Cookie Bars

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup sugar

3/4 Cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanillla

2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 Cups chocolate chips

3/4 Cup caramel ice cream topping

1/2 Cup chopped pretzel sticks

1/2 Cup ground walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined. Add eggs and vanilla until well combined. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and slowly add to wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.

2. Spray a 11×7 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Press 1/2 of the cookie dough into the bottom of the dish. Drizzle caramel sauce over dough then sprinkle with pretzels and walnuts. With a cookie scoop, scoop the remaining cookie dough evenly over top of pretzels and nuts. Press down slightly, should look uneven. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cookies just start to turn golden on the edges. Remove and let cool completely before cutting into squares.

12 bars

Saw this contest on Aggie’s Kitchen, check out Martha’s contest for bloggers HERE!

Have a great rest of the week! See you all soon!

Comments

Emiline says:

More puff pastry! I love it.

The turtle bars sound great, too.

I think that’s really disrespectful that they would cuss in a family restaurant that revolves around kids. So rude.

Bob says:

Ok, you had me at gravy. But then you have to go and toss turtle things into it?! You are a cruel, delightful woman. Your blog isn’t doing anything for my commitment to lose weight though…

PaniniKathy says:

Fifteen minutes is about all my little girl gives me to prepare dinner, so this one is perfect for me (I also happen to have a sheet of puff pastry on hand!). The turtles are right up my alley as well – love the sweet and salty. Yum!!

Hi Emily,
    Yah those people were trashy and rude.

LOL Bob. My blog isn’t doing anything for my goal to eat better either!

Hi Kathy,
    I know exactly what you mean with the little ones. It gets tricky.

Emily says:

Oh Jenny lets be neighbors! You make the best culinary creations that just say simple, homemade and d-lish!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Oh people… Guess happy meals, are not so happy anymore…
    Anyway I would be really happy with those bars! You now it’s my kind of things, and with pretzels, yummm! It’s cant get much better than a 15m dinner with puff pastry, lol!

Sara says:

Yum! I’ve never worked with puff pastry but after seeing your last two posts…I just might have to start. :) The turtle bars sound great, I love the combo of sweet and salty!

Patsyk says:

You have some of the best ideas for making dinner more appealing! this one looks delicious!

hot garlic says:

I love hearing about what people ate as kids, I’m not sure why but I do.

This looks easy and comforting and delicious. And come to think of it, so do the cookie bars! I love stuff with pretzels in it, those are a must try!

Lisa says:

You always make food look so good! What nerve of those people!

Anne says:

Wow, the people you run into! :) I recently saw a similar incident at Kohl’s- they literally had to take the woman out kicking and screaming.

I’m glad you made up for it with a great dinner and perfect dessert. Those bar cookies look wonderful!

Wow, what a day at McDonald’s. Glad you survived:)
    Your meal at home looks really good! And those dessert bars…YUM!! Love quick and easy but still delicious!

Mandy says:

I bought the puff pastry for the apple dessert and was wondering what I should do with the extra–perfect! Thanks!:)
    -Mandy

Dawn says:

Now that’s a good dinner. Your kids must have been over the top with those brownies. I’m always looking for new ways to make better brownies, obviously you nailed it.
    Love that first pic of the chicken on puff pastry–so elegant.

Mary says:

Jenny, those turtles look wonderful!

Thanks Emily! I’d line up to be your neighbor especially with your latest soup!

Hi Rita,
    It was really embarrassing for both of them. Oh well!

Hi Sara,
    Puff pastry is pricey but I love it on occasion. It is really rich, but fantastic at the same time!

Thanks Patsy!

Hi Natalie,
    I do too, it is interesting for sure!

Thanks Lisa,
    Yes, those people were out of line.

Hi Anne,
    I can picture that at Khols too! How sad!

Hi Ladies, I just missed your posts as I was typing!

Thanks Maria! We survived Mcdonalds!

Hi Mandy,
    Yes, use the extra puff on this quick dinner!

Thanks Dawn,
    Yes, my boys have my sweet tooth, I wonder why?

Thank you Mary!

lynne says:

Yikes! I have all those ingredients on hand to make those Turtle Cookie Bars. I might have to break down and do that. Thanks for more winning recipes!

carol says:

Oh brother-the people you meet at McDonald’s! Glad the boys were more interested in playing than the words flying around them!
    You had my attention at 15 minute dinner…..love that idea…and then the turtle bars too?
    You’re not the only one who’s having a hard time eating better!!
    If you were my neighbor, I’d volunteer to be your taste tester….however I don’t think I’d fit through my door when I got home…………..:)

Mary Ann says:

My mom always made us toast with a tuna gravy over top as kids. I loved it! This looks so much better and to think that it is so quick is great! I love the turtle bars as well. You are so creative, Jenny!

Great Lynne, I know you’ll love these!

Carol,
    I always look forward to your comments, I wish we lived close by so we could chit chat!! Thanks for always making me smile!

Just missed you Mary Ann,
    I think we had the gravy with tuna growing up too. Thanks and have a great day!

Mary Ann says:

Oh, and I loved your McDonalds story. My husband would be happy if he lived there. Seriously. Watching Super Size Me made him crave a Big Mac. Yikes!

Pam says:

Simple and tasty. It kind of reminds me of chicken a la king. Looks delicious. The sweet and salty turtle bars are calling my name!

Steph says:

Awesome meal and dessert Jenny! I will be trying this very soon for my very picky eaters!

Deanna says:

Oh, I was good until I saw those turtle bars. I’m skipping straight to dessert!

Bridgett says:

People never cease to amaze me, especially when they are around kids.
    What a wonderful dinner…and then you go and make a spectacular dessert! I love that combination of sweet and salty.

Deborah says:

I think McDonalds is way more about the fun than the food for kids – good thing the crazy people didn’t ruin it for your kids!

These both look amazing! And I can’t turn anything away that has caramel!

Thanks Pam,
    I definitely will be making the turtle bars again, this picture is from 3 or 4 weeks ago!

Hi Steph,
    Hope your picky eaters will enjoy it. My boys liked it.

Hi Bridgett,
    Yah, I can’t imagine talking that way in front of kids, what is wrong with them?!

Hi Deborah,
    I love anything caramel too!

nicole says:

Yummm…It all looks so very good.

Katie's blog says:

The dinner looks great! The McDonald’s incident has happened to us too. I am always surprised by that kind of behavior.

Leslie says:

I know McDOnalds fatty fries make ME happy!!!
    Dinner looks yummy..and so do the sweets!!

Thanks Nicole!

Hi Katie,
    Guess McDonalds brings the mean out of people!

Hi Leslie,
    They make me happy too! Bring on the fries!

The Nye's says:

Hi! looks yummy, just curious I have never bough puff pastry before, is there a certain kind you need to buy or a certain place to get it?! THanks for you great recipes!

Donna in VA says:

Oh my! I thought I was lovin’ the 15 Minute Puff Pastry Chicken meal until I scrolled down to the Turtle Bars. Oh my goodness! They sound like heaven.

Sara says:

I have never cooked with the puff pastry shells. I better start! These look healthy, hearty and delicious. I love your dessert. Looks so tasty!

Beth says:

Great quick and easy meal. I can’t believe the language and manners of some people. I get really annoyed when I hear and see that kind of behaviour.

Live.Love.Eat says:

OK, that would have irked me in McD’s and I would have HAD to say something, not bad, just a big loud EXCUSE ME. Ughhh. That’s awful, obviously we know where the kid gets it from. As for your dinner and dessert, very very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Girl says:

I love that first recipe – it looks like an inside out pot pie!

Nye’s,
    I believe it is Pepperage Farm brand. Any puff pastry brand will do. You’ll find it in the frozen foods by the fruit and cheesecakes. It’s really good!

Too funny Donna,
    I love those darn turtles too!

Hi Sara,
    I wish I could say puff pastry is healthy, but it’s pretty high in fat. Lots of butter!

Hi Beth,
    Yes, totally disappointing to say the least.

Hi Stephanie,
    I wish I was more gutsy, I really wanted to say something, but I didn’t. I think I was afraid to get in the middle!

That girl,
    Yes, it tastes very much like an inside out pot pie. Really yummy!

Apples and Butter says:

That looks delicious! Puff Pastry, gravy and dessert. I am totally down! Great recipes and thanks for sharing. And thanks for stopping by my blog!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

I love that sweet and salty dessert! Fast and yummy looking…you’ve got a winner!

~Priscilla~ says:

yummy, both the meal and dessert look so good jenny! people swearing is something i abhor.

Tasty Trends says:

what rude people at mcdonalds! some people just don’t know how to be respectful!

the pastry puff and turtle bars look great! you make the best treats…i wonder how you stay sooo skinny!!!!

Stacey says:

The turtle bars look fabulous! I must make them soon.

PheMom says:

Everything looks great, but you know I am drooling over those brownies, right!?

Noor says:

Jenny I about fell out of my chair when I came over to your site and saw you posted a Mcdonalds drama, I just did as well. WOW what a weird things, lol. You have to read what we went through woo.

Can I have a cookie btw? lol.. I love puff pastry it just makes everything better..

mikky says:

poor kids…tsk..tsk… but your toast looks so good… a must try for me… :)

Bellini Valli says:

These do sound amazing with sweet and salty flavours that are so popular right now:D

Thanks Apples and Butter,
    Love your blog, I’ll be visiting often!

Hi Sweet and Saucy,
    Thanks! I am loving those darn cookies too!

Thanks Priscilla,
    I agree, some behavior is really disappointing, especially around kids.

Noor,
    What is it about McDonalds!?? Maybe we won’t be going anymore!

Hi Mikky,
    Hope you enjoy the toast!

Bellini Valli,
    Yes, that sweet and salty is so good in desserts!