Nov
2008

Double Chocolate Little Cinnamon Spice Cakes with Caramel Butter Cream

Tags:

Desserts

Good early early Monday morning Everybody! Hope everyone enjoyed Halloween with the kids over the weekend. My Buzz Lightyear and Spiderman had a blast as usual!

Tell me I’m not the only one who has been pounding way too much of the kids’ Halloween candy this weekend. It’s everywhere! As if we haven’t had enough sweets, here’s some fancy little chocolate cupcakes to tempt your sweet tooth even more. I added more of those hard to find cinnamon chips to the cake batter…delish! The caramel butter cream frosting is flat out fabulous and completely dangerous I must add. Anyone have any luck finding cinnamon chips lately? Do share with all of us.

Take a peek and enjoy!

20 soft caramels, like werthers or kraft

¼ Cup milk

2 egg yolks

¼ Cup powdered sugar

2 sticks softened butter

3 Cups powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer beat cake mix, oil, water, eggs, sour cream and pudding on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in cinnamon chips on low. Fill 24 traditional cupcake size cups ¾ full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center. Remove and let cool completely.

2. Place caramels and milk into a medium saucepan over medium low heat until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Place egg yolks and powdered sugar into a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until well combined. Slowly beat in melted caramel until well combined. Transfer to a covered bowl and refrigerate until chilled, a couple hours or overnight. When chilled, beat butter and caramel in a stand mixer until whipped. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until fluffy. Spread on cooled cupcakes and serve.

24 cupcakes

____________________________

We got some good laughs at my 3 year old who crashed sitting up on the way home. This kid will sleep about anywhere!

Have a great week everyone! See you soon with some easy weeknight dinners!

Comments

Cristine says:

Looks delicious! I have been looking for different ways to use my cinnamon chips! :)

Kim A says:

Oh my gosh, only Brady…I’m still laughing!!!!

Theresa says:

Those look fantastic. Can’t wait to try these. And your 3yr old. How funny!!! I never seen cinnamon chips in my area and never knew they existed.

Andrew's Mom says:

I can get Cinnamon Chips at my local store – they are on sale this week too – I think 1.99 a bag. I just can’t find Caramel Bits in New York.

Brooks says:

yummy! I can’t wait to try these!
    What cute little Trick-or Treaters!

Candy says:

Yum, those look so sinful! What cute pics!

Mary says:

I was just able to get some cinnamon chips. This is a must try.

1215656559s20768 says:

I’m laughing out loud at your 3-year old. Too cute! You’ve convinced me to buy some cinnamon chips–I hope I can get them here. The cupcakes look fantastic.–Lorie

RecipeGirl says:

Those cupcakes look delicious. I don’t believe I’ve ever combined cinnamon chips w/ chocolate before. I’m lucky they carry them at my local market!

Barbara Bakes says:

I love that you always create easy to make recipes! This one sounds great!

priscilla says:

those look so delicious! i am thinking our walmart here carries cinnamon chips, but i could be wrong. looks like you guys had a fun halloween!

HoneyB says:

Hi Jenny! Sounds like your boys had fun on Halloween!

The cakes look delish! I can’t find cinnamon chips in the grocery, but I did find them (minis) in a local little place – and I believe they probably buy them bulk from a co-op type supplier. (from the pacakging). Next time I am in that area I will see if I can find out where they get them!

Sara says:

What yummy cupcakes! I have got to look for the cinnamon chips. Cute kids. I look forward to you easy weeknight dinners.

Cathy says:

Cinnamon and chocolate together in one lovely cake, sounds wonderful. And caramel butter cream frosting. Over the top.

carol says:

YUM! Will have to check this weekend to see if the grocery store has the cinnamon chips in…they usually have them by now.
    Well, it looks like one of your little guys just wore himself out with all that trick or treating-too cute-LOVE the family picture!
    We didn’t get anywhere near as many kids as we have in the past-and had WAY too much candy-which I stuck in the freezer before we really raided it. Now to find something to do with it-other than throw it down our gullets that is…..ah me……..;)

Kyle says:

Jenny…these look yummy!
    Also, Ben and Nate had the exact same costumes as your boys…too cute!

Lisa says:

Yummy! That picture is too funny! I am still on the hunt for cinnamon chips.

desertdiva says:

Wal-Mart carries cinnamon chips. This cupcakes are probably about 400 calories a shot, but I might make them for a special occasion. They certainly look delicious!

Jeena says:

These are amazing! I love the big whip of caramel butter cream on top. :-)

Allie says:

We have the chips in Houston I love seeing all the recipes using them I’ve stocked up on them! The kids look like they had a blast, I bet they had fun dressing up, they’re too cute!

I am always up for one more treat! these look fabulous! I am finding my cinnamon chips at Albertson’s in SLC, Utah!! I stocked up!!

Meg says:

Love the Halloween pics! So cute!

Fabulous cupcakes. I am LOVING the caramel butter frosting!

Emily says:

Your boys look so cute! Half of the kids konked out on the way home while we were trick or treating too! Your cakes look d-lish!

Pam says:

I love the picture of your son fast asleep. Too cute.

The little cakes are calling my name. What beauties! I finally found some cinnamon chips – I am so excited!

Stephanie says:

Wow, those look so amazing!

Amber says:

I just read your post as I’m working with my ziploc bag of cinnamon chips in hand! I live in Utah and found them at Albertsons. I went to Smiths but couldn’t find them there. I am addicted now! Thanks!

Tasty Trends says:

those look great! i think i still have some left over cinnamon chips! yay!

cute trick or treaters!

Patsyk says:

That picture is truly adorable!

The little cakes sound amazing… but that icing could truly be dangerous if I had it in my kitchen! LOL!

jana says:

I’m in AZ and Fry’s has had them in this last week! These will be perfext for our RS Enrichment!! Thank you!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

That frosting sounds soooo good!

Terah says:

your site is awesome! i’ve been printing recipes off for over 2 hours!!! congrats on all of your culinary success!!! thanks for sharing your recipes! i look forward to trying them all! thanks again!

Aggie says:

That is too funny about Buzz Lightyear sleeping in the wagon!! So CUTE!!

I’ve been really strong and haven’t had any candy since Friday night…I can’t afford to! I’m trying to fit into my jeans for an upcoming trip (but I really threw some Reese’s back Fri night!!)

These little cupcakes sound heavenly!!

Helene says:

Yummy! My sons would love this.

pam says:

I made your choc. chip cookie cups for the Activity day girls in my ward and it was a very big hit! thanks for sharing.

biz319 says:

The picture of your son sleeping reminded me of my daughter when she was that little – she could sleep anywhere too!

CookiePie says:

Those look fantastic!! I love chocolate and cinnamon together – I have to track down some of those chips. And your son is so adorable!!

Abes and Stace says:

I have not been able to find those cinnamon chips anywhere. Did you say they were in UT? If so, I must be looking in the wrong places.

Bob says:

Those look amazing. You’re mailing me one, right? :)

Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one eating too much candy. I work in a store that just put all the leftovers on 50% off and one of my coworkers keeps buying bags of it and leaving them open next to the register. She is a cruel, cruel woman.

Heather says:

Your cupcakes look so tall and gorgeous, what a fabulous combination. After I get over my candy hangover I will have to try this.

Melissa says:

hmmm, thats a frosting recipe I havn’t tried yet, I’ll have to do that his weekend!

I got some bags of cinnamond chips from Winco in California this past week!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

I imagine your kid was really tired from all the fun! Lovely cakes, I love how tall they are and the frosting I think I could eat it by the spoonfull!

Dawn says:

Oh those do look sooooo comforting. I am such a frosting-freak, so I have to try this frosting for sure.

carin davis says:

WOW!!!!! they look amazing!!!!! i have some cinnamon chips in my freezer! i never thought about using them with chocolate!

Bridgett says:

Oh wow, the caramel butter cream sounds fantastic! I need to find some of those cinnamon chips.

Leigh Anne says:

I just bought cinnamon chips today at Winco here in Portland, Oregon. I didn’t know what I was going to do with them when I bought them but now I do!!
    Thanks!

Erin says:

Happy Halloween! Your boys are adorable! Thanks for another sinful recipe!

ttfn300 says:

yes, please!!

That Girl says:

It’s chocolate cupcake time in Thathouse too!

Sharon says:

I love your Halloween pictures. Such a cute family :)

These little cakes look tasty! If they’re little I can have more than one, right?

Veronica says:

How cute is that little Buzz!? Your cupcakes look divine.