Jan
2009

Hearty Queso Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Potatoes

Tags: ,

Dinner

Well it’s official, I’ve got two little beach bums on my hands (see pic below). It’s requested we go to the beach nearly every day after school. They don’t have to twist my arm very hard for me to oblige. We learned our first lesson thus far…don’t feed the birds! We nearly got attacked by a flock of seagulls who desperately wanted the boys pretzels and goldfish. I was really uncomfortable with all of them so close to our towel staring and squawking for more food. I was sure they were going to peck the food out of the boys hands. The boys happily chased them all over the beach trying to get them away.

I have to admit, even though this soup is a “semi-homeade” creation, it is warm, comforting and stick to your ribs good. Just enough spices and fresh chopped veggis make you forget that there is canned soup in the recipe. When you are looking for a speedy weeknight meal, this one will do just the trick, enjoy!

Hearty Queso Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Potatoes

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, diced

3 stalks celery, diced

2 large carrots, peeled and diced

3 cloves fresh garlic, minced

2 cans of chunk chicken from Costco, undrained (or use 2 Cups cooked, shredded chicken breast)

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

¼ teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley

3 ¾ Cups chicken broth

1 10 oz can cheddar cheese soup

1 10 oz can cream of chicken soup

15 oz can black beans, drained

10 oz can Mild Rotel Tomatoes

2 Cups diced baking potato

¼ Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

1 additional 10 oz can cheddar cheese soup

Garnish

Fritos or tortilla chips

Cilantro leaves

1. Heat oil in a 5 qt dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and chicken. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt, chicken broth, 1 can cheese soup and cream of chicken soup, beans, tomatoes and potatoes. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in cilantro leaves and additional cheese soup to thicken. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Garnish with chips and cilantro leaves if desired.

8 servings

_____________________________

I leave you with my little beach bums. Have a great week, see you soon with more tasty recipes!

Comments

Katherine Aucoin says:

That soup looks like just the ticket for the cold days we’ve been having…so hardy and savory.

Your “beach bums” are adorable!

Priscilla says:

Mm, soup looks really good Jenny. Could you please tell me what software you use to edit your pictures, like you did to your little beach bums?

Meg says:

Your beach bums are so cute!

Delicious recipe! I love anything with black beans!

Sara says:

Yumm, this looks great! I love having soups in the winter, and the ingredients sound delcious.

Bob says:

Looks good to me, I’m not afraid of semi homemade. Hey, that rhymed! :)

RecipeGirl says:

Soup looks quite yummy.

Yes, don’t feed the birds… ever! You’ll make people around you quite upset w/ your rooky move :)

They actually will take food right from your hands so be careful. And if you go in the water, make sure all of the food is safely tucked away!! They’re brave little buggers.

Mar says:

Delicious soup, I don´t know that soup, I´m from Spain and the food here is diferent
    I hope you come to visit my blog and if you don´t know spanish traslate it
    One kiss for you

ConversationsWithACupcake says:

I’d be a beach bum, too, if I lived in Newport. I love that place. Love it with all my heart.
    And, my sis said you’ve been enjoying AMAZING weather! ‘m so jealous!

The soup looks amazing…as always!

Dawn says:

A great way to use up veggies and get your family to eat them.
    I would be a beach bum too! We have 23 degree weather right now! I need to be a beach bum!

Tracy says:

It’s below zero here — hard to get around the idea that you’re being beach bums right now! Sounds fun…

Mom2three says:

The soup looks delicious! I’m wishing I was in warmer weather like your beach bums! Love trying out a new soup in the cold weather.

Patsyk says:

Love the picture of your beach bums! So cute!

Your soup sounds perfect with our below freezing weather here! I love that it’s quick and simple enough for a weeknight meal.

Stephanie says:

Looks delicious! Hot, comforting soup is perfect for these chilly winter days.

Colleen says:

Thanks for the recipe! And so jealous that you can go to the BEACH now!

Katrina says:

Yummy dinners!
    Fun CA!

sarah says:

This looks delicious!

I sure wish I could go to the beach every day. :) That sounds lovely right about now.

Allie says:

Soup looks fantastic! I’m sure the boys will have girlfriends all over the beach by summer! You’ll have your hands full.

That Girl says:

It’s been the perfect beach weather lately too! More like July than January.

We Are Not Martha says:

Oh gosh, this is making me feel soooo hungry. Honestly, I’m pretty jealous you get to run around the beach…it’s 3 degrees here in Boston. BUT I think you just warmed my day up with this soup :)

Sues

Beth says:

I couldn’t survive if I didn’t live near the beach. Im so glad you’re enjoying it too. Great recipe

Erin says:

This looks delicious- perfect for these cold January days!

Chef Chuck says:

Looks thick and hardy!
    Beans too!, Chuck

Mary Ann says:

Jenny, I love this soup! It looks great and black beans make everything taste better to me. Your beach bum are adorable. I would be one too, if I lived that close.

Weight Loss says:

Hi I found this cool recipe for Artichoke-scrambled Eggs Benedict. Has anyone ever tried it? Sounds good and I hope it is. Here is the link with the recipe and article. nice site to whoever created it.

Live.Love.Eat says:

This looks delicious Jenny. And whenever you put Fritos on the top my mouth waters. I grew up loving those curly little babies and I don’t ever keep them in the house because I can’t eat just one. Or ten. Cute boys, glad to see you’re enjoying your time out there.

Debbi says:

Do you think this would work fine in the crockpot?

Emily says:

Your beach bums are darling!

I have to say that I have nothing against canned soup! It has saved dinner for me many a night and this soup looks so wonderful, canned soup and all! I love your creations! Keep cooking and enjoy sunny Cali!

Barbara Bakes says:

My kids love chips and queso. I’ll have to give the soup a try!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

All I need now is a hearty warm soup! Putting the laptop in the microwave and licking the screen will not do it, will it?

~Holly says:

Yummy!! That looks like it could just warm me up!! :)

Deborah says:

I’m all for a nice warm, comforting bowl of soup!!

Gina Lee says:

I’ve been really lazy with my cooking. By lazy, I mean my son knows what he wants at each drive through…
    I’m happy to be back and have to thank you for your awesome recipes. This one is on my list to make for sure!!!

Hillary says:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on the adobo sauce …I will look for that brand…But let me know when you find one you like here in Cali. I am trying your Hearty queso chicken soup tonight for sunday dinner. Can’t wait.

Hillary says:

Hillary says:

Just finished this soup for dinner…It was so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

zekesmom10 says:

This was incredible! I didn’t have the cheddar soup, so I used cream of potato and added a bunch of shredded mexican blend cheeses. Thank you so much! This one is a keeper.

Kent says:

Chicken Soup is one of my favorite dishes of all time. it is very tasty and the ingredients are very available. sometimes i put a dash of chili over my chicken soup because i like it spicy hot.

Sean Serrato says:

Very interesting post thanks for sharing I just added your blog to my bookmarks and will check back :) By the way this is a little off subject but I really like your sites layout.

How to add this to my RSS reader? I’m sorry I’m a beginner :(

Thank you so much, this was very interesting. I was actually born in Madrid (I’m not telling what year though!) but moved around europe and lastly settled in England when I was 7. I dont remember an awful lot of the few years I was in spain, but the smell of spanish food always seems to get me going or something. Funny, how I dont remember anything except the smells,isn’t it! I even found a whole internet site dedicated to spanish recipes, which gave me great delight and thought I really should to share with your readers. Anyway, thank you again. I’ll get my husband to add your feed to my rss app…

Heather says:

Do you have any suggestions for substituting the black beans? My BF does not like them at all. I am thinking white beans or corn?