Jan
2009

Chicken Parmesan Rigatoni Bake With Garlic Toast Points

Tags: ,

Dinner

Does anyone else get as excited as I do strolling through the isles of Whole Foods Market? I still had a great time even with my 3 year old begging to go home, tugging at my sweater and asking for snacks every 30 seconds. Silly, I know, but something about having all of those great products at my fingertips is thrilling!

Created this dinner last night for the family and it was a success. Crispy chicken breasts cut into strips, placed over top cheesy baked rigatoni. It makes for a great weeknight meal, I didn’t even fuss with my own sauce on this one. When weeknights get crazy to get dinner on the table, try jazzing up a good jarred sauce, it gives it that homemade taste with little time. Check it out, I think you’ll all really like this one.

Chicken Parmesan Rigatoni Bake and Garlic Toast Points

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/2 Cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 large eggs plus 2 Tablespoons water

1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs (Progresso)

1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs

1/2 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese

1 lb dry rigatoni

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 26 oz jars of your favorite pasta sauce

1 1/2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese

6 slices of your favorite bread, toasted

Butter

Garlic Salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pound chicken breasts to an even thinness with a meat mallet. Place flour, salt and pepper into a shallow dish. Place eggs and water into a separate shallow dish. Place bread crumbs and parmesan cheese into a 3rd shallow dish. Dip chicken into flour, then eggs then into bread crumb mixture pressing gently. Place coated chicken onto a baking rack placed over a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

2. Cook rigatoni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Place olive oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic for 1 minutes then add pasta sauce, reserving 1 Cup for later. Reduce heat to low and stir in cooked pasta. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Cut chicken into strips and place over dish. Drizzle with reserved pasta sauce and serve. Spread butter over warm toasted bread and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Cut into triangles if desired. Serve with each dish.

6 servings

________________________

More fun shots of my boys enjoying life in CA! I’m so glad they are happy. Have a great week, I’ll be back with some comfort food and tasty Superbowl Recipes!!

Comments

Patsyk says:

Oh, I’m NEVER the first comment on your blog! Wow!

Love those pictures of your boys… and the captions would fit well with mine as well! ;)

That dinner looks so nice and cheesey… love the addition of the crispy chicken strips. Yum!

sarah [biscuits and honey] says:

This looks awesome! I bet my husband would love it!

I wish we had a Whole Foods here.. I’ve only been to one once in another city! We do have a Fresh Market, but it’s way on the other side of town so I don’t make it over there much… what a bummer! Maybe one day we’ll get one.

carol says:

Yum yum….pasta and cheese with chicken….this looks like a tummy pleasure for sure! I’ve been hooked on the Panko bread crumbs for their crunch-can’t wait to try this Jenny.
    We don’t have a Whole Foods market near us, darn it. It sounds like a place I’d get lost in.
    Your boys are just as cute as they can be-sounds like they’re loving their life in CA!

recipes2share says:

This really looks like great comfort food. I love the chicken parmasan combo & my kids would adore this with the addition of pasta.

HoneyB says:

Love the photos of your boys!! The captions are so cute too!

The Rigatoni looks so good! I think this would pass both the Grumpy and the HoneyB test!

Mila says:

This looks yummy! I am always jazzing up jarred sauces but I stick to Trader Joes, they have the best kind! Your boys are very cute!

Cristine says:

Looks yummy! And what cute pics of your boys!

Dawn says:

I love going to whole foods! It’s not like grocery shopping, but an adventure.
    This looks really good and something my fussy hubby would devour.

Live.Love.Eat says:

The rigatoni looks delish!!!! I love stores like Whole Foods. I can do serious damage!!!!!! So glad your boys are happy in your new place.

Sara says:

This looks so good! I love Whole Foods, but sadly we don’t have one in Prescott, AZ. I went to the Whole Food headquarters in Austin and oh my gosh, it’s amazing! You’re boys are so cute.

Penny says:

I feel the same way about shopping for great food. There is something unusual about us foodies, but ain’t it grand. Might as well Love the nourishment of our bodies!

Candy Graber says:

I love Whole Foods too, I wish we had one close to where I live. I love your blog, and am very excited to try out this recipe. I made your banana bread last week and it was delicious! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

janelle says:

I ADORE grocery stores; just love spending time walking through rows and rows of food… endless possibilities. Sigh.

Alisa Larson says:

Were do you get (and what IS a baking rack)? I have a pampered chef cooling rack, whick I’m guessing is a similar concept, but I don’t know if it can withstand the heat. Any tips?

Gwen says:

If ever I blow our budget, you can bet it’s in the grocery store!

Stephanie says:

We went to Whole Foods for the first time earlier this week – my favorite was the aisle on the very end with the bins of grains and flours. It was fun.

The pasta looks so good! I love how creative you are with food. :-)

Bob says:

Looks great, I’d eat it. ;)

I am wicked jealous of you for being able to shop at WF. I can’t get to the nearest one and I really wish I could!

Bridgett says:

Pasta bakes are one of life’s great comforts. Yours looks fantastic!

Kara says:

This looks heavenly! I am putting on my menu for next week. :)

Love the cute pics of your boys!

Helene says:

I wish we had a Whole Foods around here. I love that store.

Great pics of the kids, they are so cute.

Rebekah says:

no whole foods near me. bummer!

this looks so yummy and would be perfect on a rainy day like today!!

I love baked pasta, I love what you have here! Cute kid pictures too!!

RecipeGirl says:

Terrific recipe- nice and comforting. Love that the boys are so happy here in CA! yay!

CookiePie says:

What a great idea – perfect weeknight meal!

That Girl says:

I don’t get excited by going though all Whole Foods, but I do love the one you probably went to.

Have you discovered Henry’s yet? It’s no whole foods, but it’s fun!

Mrs. D says:

Oooh, you have such a delicious blog, I’m a first time visitor! Glad I stopped in!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

I went to a whole foods for the first time last month when I was in US. I loved it, it’s a pitty we don’t have it her :( Wonderful meal Jenny!

Katherine Aucoin says:

The rigatoni looks so good; it definitely has serious drool factor.

Your boys are too cute. I’m so fglad they have adjusted so well to their new home.

katskitchen says:

That dish looks awesome! I love parmesan chicken, so I’m sure I’d love this.

Anonymous says:

Hey Jenny! I was wondering if you know if POM has picked the winner of their recipe contest. They are supposed to pick sometime in January. Did you enter?

Abby says:

Wow, a good Italian recipe! It makes me crave for chicken right now..mMMM. Anyway, I also wanna inform you that I have changed my blog address to http://www.justsweeterthansugar.blogspot.com just in case you wanna check out my blog. thank you, and keep posting ;)

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, Hope you’re enjoying your new home, and all is well. I see your getting back in your cooking groove, and it’s all looking good!

giz says:

What fabulous comfort food. This is the kind of recipe I could big batch on Monday and eat all week long. Then on Friday, I call Jenny Craig and Saturday I get a membership to a fitness club. It’s gorgeous.

What are some of the things that you buy regularly at Whole Foods? There is a whole foods 45 minutes away that I’d love to go to, but I’ve never made it there.

Priscilla says:

Hi Jenny, there is an award for you on my blog! Your boys are such cuties!

Girl Japan says:

I like Penne and Rigatoni is two of my favorite pastas.. They have whole wheat here but it is really exorbitant… Plus panko on top with cheese… I love the crisp..

Katie says:

SERIOUSLY? HOW ARE YOU SO SKINNY??? I gained 10 lbs eating your hot chocolate brownies!

Katie says:

p.s. lets see some recipes for superbowl goodies!

Maris says:

YES I get just as excited. And I get even more excited when I stroll past the salad bar – so many fresh veggies and great salad recipe ideas.

Melissa M. says:

I tried this for dinner tonight and it was SO YUMMY!!!!!!! Keep ‘em coming!!!

Susan says:

This recipe (Chicken Parmesan Rigatoni Bake) calls for cheese at the end; however there is no cheese in the ingredients section other than the parmessan cheese in the crumb coating. Could you please amend the recipe and let the viewers know what cheese and how much is needed

I used to be suggested this web site by way of my cousin. I’m not certain whether or not this submit is written by means of him as nobody else recognise such unique about my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks!

Marsha Selan says:

I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today..

Nice Site really Your work is really great and too useful. I enjoyed visiting your site. You have done a truly excellent Job.