Mar
2009

BBQ Chicken Crusted Smoked Cheddar Mac

Tags: ,

Dinner

Good Thursday morning all! It has been such a great week here in CA. I’ve had my family from AZ visiting and we’ve been running around all over the place. We went to Knotts Berry Farm, the Zoo and I think 4 beaches in the last couple days not to mention all the food we’ve consumed. It’s been great. I’m trying to talk them into moving to CA with us! We’ll see what I can do!

So, I made this mac last week when I had that leftover BBQ chicken and what a terrific combo! Cheddar and BBQ is so great together so it was really a no brainer when I topped this mac with a nice thick layer of BBQ. I baked half the recipe in individual bakers as shown above and half in a normal baking dish, bake it how you’d like. The whole family really enjoyed this dinner and I’ll bet you will will too! Off to the beach again, have a great day!

BBQ Chicken Crusted Smoked Cheddar Mac

1 lb mini farfalle pasta (use any pasta of choice)

5 Tablespoons butter
5 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
4 Cups milk, I used 2%
5 Cups shredded Tillamook smoked cheddar cheese (you could use any cheddar cheese)

2 Cups shredded BBQ Chicken HERE is the recipe
1 Cup shredded Tillamook smoked cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.

2. Melt butter into a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute stirring. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Increase heat to medium high, stir continuously until liquid thickens and comes to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheddar cheese until smooth then add cooked pasta. Pour mixture into a large baking dish then top evenly with BBQ chicken. Sprinkle with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

3. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.

______________________________

See you all soon with more good cookin! Have a good one!

Comments

CookingCourtney says:

that looks so delicous!

MRMD_GRL says:

I want to eat this through my moniter…. it looks so tasty!!!!

Mary says:

This looks wonderful, Jenny. It sounds as though your adjustment to California has been successful and easy.

Glad you are having fun with the family. I will try this mac and cheese on my hubby, he loves the stuff. It looks great!

Kerstin says:

This looks like the perfect dish to bring to a potluck – yum!

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

Oooh that sounds so good, comfort food!

oneordinaryday says:

Looks and sounds delicious. Great idea!
    Michelle

Irene says:

Oh my god, that looks DELICIOUS!!!

Elra says:

Wow, this is truly delicious mac&cheese. Not your average one you see out there.
    Cheers,
    elra

Meghan says:

This looks so delicious! I love that you used bowtie pasta too!

Dawn says:

I’m sitting here trying to find something to make for dinner (inspiration more so) while eating sunflower seeds. And your photos are killing me. This looks sooooo darn good.

Allie says:

Perfect comfort food it looks really tasty!

Lauren says:

Mmmm! Sounds sooo delicious!

HoneyB says:

Looks Yummy!

teresa says:

YUMMY! THis looks amazing!

Sara says:

Wow. It looks SO cheesy and SO delicous!!

Jill says:

Yum, yum, yum! I made this for dinner, and it was a huge hit! Thanks!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Glad you had a great time with the family! I just bought cheddar today cause I’m craving mac and cheese, and now seeing this is not helping, lol!

carol says:

Oh my…mac and cheese is my weakness for sure…..so if I add chicken can I call it healthier???? :)
    This looks absolutely mouth-watering Jenny. Glad you’re having fun with your family-hope you can talk them into moving to CA!

Barbara says:

Congratulations on your adjusting to your move to CA. Having your family visit is a bonus.
    Love the mac and cheese. Sounds like a recipe for Tillamook.

Lynne says:

Jenny, I’m drooling! This looks so yummy and I’m sure my picky kids would even love it. :)

Bob says:

Holy crap girl, you trying to kill me? That looks so f*#^$!%g good!

Sharon says:

Ooh, what a tasty combo. Mac ‘n cheese and bbq chicken are two of my favorite things in the world!

Patsyk says:

Yum! If your picky eaters will go for bbq chicken in it, then maybe my youngest would like it. I’m printing this off now!

Chef Chuck says:

Glad to hear your having fun with the family. Yumm BBQ Chicken. The real mac attack!!

Kevin says:

Bbq chicken and creamy mac and cheese sounds so good!

Jeena says:

It looks all golden and delicious yum!

Helene says:

My kids would love that meal.

Emily says:

I made this on Saturday night and my family LOVED it! Thanks!

Leah says:

Just tried this one out and it was delicious! I halved the recipe since it’s just me and I still have plenty of leftovers. I also topped it with some cracker meal mixed with butter for a little extra crunch…this is my new go-to casserole, thanks so much!

Meg says:

What an amazing combination of flavors!

Jake Ten Pas says:

It’s hard to improve upon either mac and cheese or barbecued chicken, so we guess it stands to reason that the combination of the two would be unstoppable. Still, we never would have put them together until we saw your photos. Then, we got so excited that we made your entry our Post of the Day at http://www.tillamookfanclub.com. If you don’t believe us, see for yourself.
    Thanks,
    Jake Ten Pas
    Tillamook Cheese Fan Club

Michelle says:

This looks so good! I’m definitely going to have to try this one out!

I am making this today and cannot wait to hear what my boys think!! Looks SO delicious and being in the South, you can’t go wrong with BBQ and Cheddar!!

[...] BBQ Chicken Smoked Mac & Cheese (OMG, this looks sooo [...]

Marian says:

Just found your website a couple weeks ago and am trying this recipe out tonight, after using your BBQ chicken short cut for dinner last night! I just put my mac and cheese in the oven to get warm and bubbly, I can’t wait to eat it!!!

Nicole says:

My kids loved it and there was plenty leftover to freeze for another meal! Thank you!

I made this recipe last night and we loved it!!! Sooooo yummy!

lolomommy says:

This was really good! I added some season salt and panko bread crumbs. YUM! Will make again.

[...] so I totally stole this from Picky Palate, and it’s amazing. If you feel good about and consistently have cravings for down-home BBQ such [...]

Jessica says:

OMG! This turned out AWESOME! I used some of the leftover roasted chicken from the tomato/bacon/chick soup recipe you have on here also. Great use of the chicken and I got 2 recipes out of a 4$ chicken. These have been great editions to our weekly menu! Thanks so much :-)

Sarah says:

I made this and my husband said, “I would be completely happy if you made this every week.” It was great!

[...] night not only did I make BBQ Chicken Sharp Cheddar Mac and Cheese but I made homemade BBQ sauce. Yes, this is [...]

Kendray says:

Jenny!
    First off-love this recipe! I’ve made it before with great success! I do, however, have a question. I’d like to make this ahead and take it somewhere, then pop it in the oven for those last 20-some minutes. Do you think this would work? Do you have any recommendations??
    Thanks :)

Wow! Talk about sinful. I might just have to make this.

Taxonomista says:

I’ve tried several recipes from this site and always met with success, but THIS one is my absolute FAVORITE. Highly recommend the BBQ sauce recipe from the related pull-chicken page. I had a mental math mishap while shopping for this dish and ended up using 4 cups Sharp Cheddar and 1 cup Mozzarella (the only other cheese in my fridge). Made things a little stringy, but was a nice addition. Also, the leftovers are just as good as fresh out the oven.

Kailey says:

This looks amazing! My fiance really loves BBQ chicken and mac ‘n cheese, so I definitely want to make this! Are there any suggestions for making it in a smaller batch, like for two people? The biggest baking dish I have is a 9×13 inch. Thanks so much!

Any tips for making this a freezer meal for a new mom?

Jessica says:

I just made this for the second time, today! It is SO good and my whole family loves it! Definitely a keeper!