Jul
2009

Hearty Ground Turkey Chili with Green Chili Cheddar Muffins

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! We had a fun filled week with my family that was visiting from AZ. I think we’ve just about convinced them all to move on down to Newport Beach with us. It really was a great weekend. We watched the fireworks at the Newport Dunes and they put on quite the impressive show. I bet we’ll make it a tradition to go back there.

Now for some good ol’ thick hearty chili. I am a huge chili fan, I think we make it at least once or twice a month. I was so excited to see that Costco now sells 1 lb packs of ground turkey just like their ground beef that I’ve been buying for years. I’ve always loved substituting turkey for beef, so maybe I’ll be trying it out more often now that it’s readily available at Costco. I love this chili because it tastes as though it’s been simmering all day when you could actually have it on the table in about 20 minutes. It’s thick and full of great chili flavor. Don’t forget to make those killer cornbread muffins that I’ve made before. They are the best I’ve found. Enjoy!!

Thank you Laurie from Tip Junkie for Interviewing me on your blog. Check it out HERE!

Hearty Ground Turkey Chili with Green Chili Cheddar Muffins

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large white onion, finely diced
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 14 oz can chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
3/4 Cup tomato sauce
3 cans of beans of choice, drained (I used black beans, chili beans and red kidney beans)
1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground cumin

1. Heat oil into a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in turkey, salt, pepper and garlic salt; cook until browned and no longer pink. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, hot sauce, chili powder and cumin. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to serve. Serve with cornbread muffins.

Green Chili Cheddar Cornbread Muffins (click name for recipe)

_________________

Have a great week! See you all soon with a killer chocolate cookie, you won’t want to miss it!

Comments

RecipeGirl says:

Yummy! Looks wonderful :)

Sounds great Jenny. Isn't it a ton more expensive to live in Newport though then here in the valley?

Chow and Chatter says:

this looks great I love chilli

Sara says:

Yum, this looks great! I'm a big fan of subbing turkey for ground beef.

Lynda says:

This looks delicious- I'm a chili fan too; especially with those tasty looking muffins!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Delicious! The muffins sound like such a great addition to the chili.

Jenn@slim-shoppin says:

I could eat chili year round, doesn't matter how hot it is, I love it!

This is a little different than the one I make, it looks amazing!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Maddy says:

I love that you substituted turkey for meat! I don't eat red meat but love to eat chili!

Jennifer says:

Oh how quickly one forgets that chili in AZ in July just don't mix! In Newport during June Gloom it is great though! If you get a chance, try the clam chowder at Newport Dunes! YUMMY!

Mila says:

Great to know there is another Cosco fanatic among us! This looks fantastic! Turkey chilli is always one of my faves

CookiePie says:

That looks sooooo delicious!

Laura says:

I was skeptical about turkey chili. Finally tried it this pas fall and loved it!

The muffins look great too. A welcome change from a regular cornbread or jalapeno cornbread muffin.

Jamie says:

I've been wanting to try turkey chili and was just talking about it the other day. I'm going to try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing.

Monica@DailyDwelling says:

Yumm!! These look like a perfect combination. Can't wait to try it!

Indigo says:

I love chili, and making it with turkey sounds amazing… the internet is making me so hungry today!

Alicia says:

Hey Jenny; I remember you mentioned when you lived in AZ you liked to shop the Superstition Ranch Mkt. On a trip to Disneyland I found an awesome Anaheim equivalent (or maybe even an upgrade!). You mentioned your family has Disneyland passes… on your next visit check out the Euclid Farmers Market just off Euclid and Katella. It's within a few minutes of DL, and I was quite wowed with the quality of produce and the awesome prices.

The chili looks great!

Alicia says:

Me again; I just saw that they have a website if you want to check it out: http://www.euclidfarmersmarket.com/.

Have a great day!

The Japanese Redneck says:

Love chili too. It looks good and so do the muffins.
    Ramona

Vicki Kemsley Parry says:

My Mouth is watering, just reading this recipe. I printed it off and I'm going to make it today! Thanks Jenny!

Debbie says:

I must try the green chili cheddar muffins for my son's 1st bday party coming up soon. We're having an all american bbq- they will be perfect. thanks!

KatieJ says:

I'm going to have to try this one tonight, since it's 5:15 and I haven't started anything! I just went to Costco today, that ground turkey is less than $2.50/lb! exciting…

Katie's blog says:

Looks awesome!

lisa says:

This looks like another great recipe! What size can of chopped tomatoes did you use? Thanks!!!!

Gay Guru says:

I took some artistic license with this recipe and did the following with tasty results if I do say so myself:

In addition to the turkey meat, I used a package of hot turkey sausage, uncased and broken up.
    I added 5 stalks of celery (each stalk sliced in 3 lengthwise then diced about the same size as the onion)
    I used the whole can (15oz) of tomato sauce and about 3/4 a can of chicken stock.
    I completely omitted the the garlic salt and added about half a teaspoon paprika, cilantro and oregano.
    The sausage was “hot” so I lightened up on the tabasco sauce too.

I love this as a base recipe because I love to cook and tart up the recipes I find to make them “my own”. Thanks for the great start! This was my first attempt at making chili!

Cheryl Newton says:

Hi, Jenny,
    I see cloves of garlic listed in this recipe, but not where to add them. Do they get sauteed with the onion, or with the turkey, etc.? I have a go-to turkey chili recipe; I can’t wait to try this one!
    Thanks (again!),
    Cheryl

[...] dinner I made a recipe from Picky Palate-  Hearty Ground Turkey Chili. I just made a few changes- like I didn’t use the 2 tbsp. oil- I just used cooking spray. [...]

Your chili recipe looks so good even to this vegetarian.
    I plan to try this but with a few substitutes.
    The chili cheddar muffins sounds super too!

[...] made him hearty turkey chili and green chili cheddar muffins and éclairs for dessert. He was a happy boy It made me happy to be able to make his day special, [...]

[...] and limit your portions. Some recipes, like chili, can be altered to be meatless.  Check out the Picky Palate’s Turkey Chili or for something very unique, Dani Spies Butternut Squash Chili with [...]

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i am happy to exhibit that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most without a doubt will make sure to do not put out of your mind this web site and give it a look on a continuing basis.

betsy says:

I loved love this chili! It was super easy (my other chili recipe require a lot more ingredients). My husband couldn’t stop raving about it!

Robyn says:

Made this chili last night and it was very good! I used beef broth because I ran out of chicken broth and I had to add more salt than the recipe stated but the finished product was awesome!

[...] ahead of time and pop them in the oven when it is time for dinner! In the fall our family loves Picky Palate’s Turkey Chili and Mozzarella Stuffed [...]

Neucky says:

This recipe looks great! I’d love to try it out for a football party this weekend. How many servings does it make? Thanks!

Looks good! Never thought of green chili cheddar biscuits. Thanks for sharing!