Oct
2009

Romano Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner

Tags: , ,

Dinner

IMG_4250picnik.jpeg

FINALLY some food around here!  I’ve been baking so much lately, I figured it was time I post a nice quick fix dinner for those busy weeknights.  This is a great no fuss, flavorful recipe the family will love.  I like to even cook the chicken before hand so I can have this dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.  My rice cooker is one of my favorite kitchen essentials, I don’t know what I’d do without it!  We’ve been using brown rice for the last year or so and have really grown to love it.  Give it a try if you aren’t already using it, adds a little more “health” to the recipe :)

Can’t wait for Halloween this weekend, have a great week!

IMG_4262picnik.jpeg

IMG_4256picnik.jpeg

Romano Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 packet Ranch Dressing dry mix, divided

1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil (what I used) or you can also use veg oil

1 large onion, finely diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

6 cloves fresh garlic, minced

6 Cups fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped

1 small can diced carrots and peas, drained

2 Cups steamed long grain brown rice (I cooked mine in a rice cooker)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley

1/2 Cup shredded Romano Cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place chicken breasts into small baking dish and sprinkle half of the ranch packet over each breast.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.

2.  Heat oil in large skillet with high rimmed edges over medium heat.  Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic and spinach until softened, about 5-7 minutes.   Stir in can of carrots and peas then stir in cooked rice, season with salt, pepper and garlic salt.

3.  With a knife dice each chicken breast into small cubes and add into rice mixture.  Sprinkle remaining ranch seasoning mix and romano cheese into rice.  Reduce heat to low; taste and season as needed.  Now you are ready to serve.

4 servings

____________________________________

Have a great new week!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Sounds good. 884 Members now! Wow, girl.

Shelby says:

I love meals like these that are quick, easy and delicious!

Jenny this sounds great! I rarely throw everything together in one skillet, but I love doing it. I will have to try this.

Love the way you darkened the edges of your post pic. Gorgeous site. This dish sounds healthy and delicious so must give it a try.

Ramona says:

Looks like something right up my alley. Never made one of my skillet meals with Ranch dressing before. Sounds good.

ramona

Kimm Geria says:

Looks very yummy thanks for sharing the recipe.

LOL I feel like that too on my blog… treats all of the time- gotta post something semi-healthy once in a while. Maybe after Halloween! This looks like a keeper.

[...] Romano Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet [...]

Kelsey says:

Thank you! I just found out I have to cut sugars to lower my triglycerides (boo) so I’m excited to have one of your dinner recipes to try! Your baked goods always look SO good.

Here’s an update: I made this for dinner!! A lot of alterations though, based on stuff I had at home (and the fact that i forgot to add in the onions). So I used mixed bell peppers and fresh carrots (instead of the can).

The chicken itself was DELICIOUS. And the whole dish ended up amazing. Not too bad for one of my first fancier dinners.

Thanks!!

Bob says:

Brown rice is a good time and the dish looks great!

Molly says:

I feel ya, girl! In fact, I made a Mexican one skillet dinner last night. Posting soon. Have a great week!

Velva says:

This is a great weeknight dish for the family. I need all the help I can get during the week, to feed the family and this one is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!

TIffany says:

This looks GREAT Jenny!! I love “skillet meals” & this looks like a perfect one to try!!

joanne says:

ms. picky palate,

just found your site and i am amazed!! i love the ease of these recipes with some fresh ingredients and some packaged ingredients to make a lovely meal or dessert! it works for the busy woman!! can’t wait to try some out.

found your site after i bought the mini cheesecake pan online. going to try the caramel/pumpkin cheesecake! you’re going to make me popular at every dinner party =P

thanks!!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Mmmmm easy and delicious!

Roxy says:

Ok I loved it, I made it yesterday for dinner and the BF loveeeed it
    it’s delicious.

Brooke says:

I was searching for an easy stove top dinner (my oven is broken) and I came across this recipe! I cooked my chicken in the skillet and used frozen spinach instead and it turned out great! My son is a very picky eater and he LOVED it! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

CookiePie says:

What a yummy, satisfying dinner!!

Stehanie Curtis says:

Came home tonight after workin 13 hours and just wanted something QUICK!!! THIS IS AWESOME!! Plus, my boys want to know when we can have it again. Um, Friday?!

Jennifer says:

I made this tonight, with only minor alterations. Red peppers instead of green, white rice instead of brown, and only four cups of spinach, just because it was what I had on hand. Also, I used only about 2/3 of the package of ranch dressing mix to suit our tastes. I may use a little less next time. Overall, this was a very tasty and nutritious meal. My husband and I loved it! Best of all, my picky 15-month-old ignored his beloved apple sauce and devoured this; I had to give him a second serving – that never happens! I will definitely be making it again soon. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jo says:

It looks fabulous and delicious and it sound healthy too :) This recipe is going straight to my recipe box :)

Sues says:

Mmm this does look easy and flavorful! I love Lawry’s spices :)

[...] Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner November 1, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner (Source: Picky Palate) [...]

Allison says:

Just made this yesterday. I used leftover white rice and although mine turned out a bit greener (I used frozen chopped spinach and guessed how much to use) :) and frozen peas but it was fun! My husband (who DOESN’T like veggies in his rice/pastas) ate it and didn’t complain too much but commented on how tasty the chicken was! Thanks again Jenny! :)

Karrissa says:

This was delicious! I loved all the flavor of the ranch and romano cheese. My husband commented at least 10 times during dinner how wonderful it was. Thanks!

[...] I’ve got a couple servings of leftover Pumpkin Turkey Chili and Romano Ranch Chicken and Rice left in the freezer Share and [...]

Melissa says:

I made this tonight & it was a hit!! My husband cannot stop talking about it!! I did it just like yours except i was short on time – so i grabbed a rotisserie chicken & tossed it with the ranch seasoning (before putting in the skillet). It was amazing! I put it in my blog – but linked to your site. :) SO GOOD! THANK YOU!

Thank you for the informative write-up, I will promote this to my family and friends. On a side note, I have a close neighbor that has been striving to increase pounds but still would like to sustain her healthy eating habits. Exactly what food items would you recommend?

[...] Romano Ranch Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner ~ Picky Palate [...]