Feb
2010

Peanut Butter and Jelly Baby Lattice Pies

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Good Tuesday to you!

I had so much fun making these baby pies!  For some reason party food seems more fun when it’s miniature right?  I don’t know what it is, but I just love it.

So, these are totally doable, they look detailed, but seriously are really easy.  I snapped photos while I was preparing them to show how easy they are.  I’m talking only 3 main ingredients, love recipes like this!

Peanut Butter and Jelly is one of those combinations that I could do in almost any dessert.  I knew this duo would be irresistible as little pies.  The kids will love these as will the adults because they are so darn cute, make some PB & J baby pies for game day and wow your guests!  Enjoy.

Time to create the lattice top…

My strips were a little long, but you get the idea.  It’s the over under effect!  Once you are done, use a knife to cut off the excess dough and it will look like the next picture :)

Brush lightly with egg wash

Here you have the lovely little PB&J pies.  I am in love with these!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Baby Lattice Pies

1 roll Pillsbury pie dough

1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter

1 Tablespoon sugar

1/2 Cup Smucker’s Strawberry Preserves

1 egg white whisked with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash

Sugar Crystals for sprinkling on top if desired

2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Unroll pie crust onto a lightly floured surface.  Use a 2 1/2 inch round cutter to cut out circles in dough (I used a random little cup that worked great).  Lightly press dough rounds into greased mini muffin tin.  Roll remaining scraps of dough to an even thickness then use a sharp knife to cut thin 1/8 inch strips to create the lattice topping.  Set aside.

2.  Mix peanut butter and sugar until combined. With a small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop a heaping teaspoon into each of the pie crusts.  Do the same with the jam.  Using the pie strips, form the lattice top.  See pictures above for help.  Cut excess dough from edges and brush tops lightly with the egg wash, sprinkle with sugar crystals (optional) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until nice and golden brown.

3.  Remove and with the tip of a knife, loosen edges where jam has oozed out.  Carefully remove from pan after 5 minutes with the help of the knife and let cool.  Dust with powdered sugar and serve with milk!

12 mini pies…..let’s see what the judges think…

Think we’ve got some happy taste testers!  Come back soon for more game day recipes!!

Comments

Kim Adams says:

WOW WOW WOW, I really want one of these…dad-gum South Beach Diet! I can tell how good they are by Brady’s face…SO funny! Miss u!!!

karen says:

Oh my gosh! How adorable!!! Now I guess I really need to break down and learn how to make a decent gluten-free pie crust so my little guy can ooh and aah and gobble them up :)

Charity says:

They make gluten free pie crust mixes. You can usually pick them up in the section with more of the ‘natural, preservative free’ stuff. They have a different texture but aren’t too bad.

HoneyB says:

what a great idea! cute little pies and testers!

TIffany says:

The kiddos are going to LOVE these!! Thanks for sharing Jenny!

Debbi says:

You amaze me with your creations. This sounds very simple but awesome! My kids would love these and they would love to help with them, thanks for another great recipe.

Niki says:

Wow, I want one now! no wait, I want like 5 now!!!

Super cute pies!

What an awesome idea. Of course, anything with peanut butter in the name, and I’m sold…

Sara says:

Oh…my…gosh. Genius!! You had me at “peanut butter and jelly.” :)

Krystle says:

Wow those babies are adorable! Love them!

Fallon says:

Very cute! I love PB and J too.

wow these look really good.

Mandy says:

Jenny, these are adorable! We’ll definitely make them.

Dandy says:

I could eat like 50 of those!

Dorothy says:

So cute! What a wonderful idea. Who doesn’t love mini food? Beautiful cake stand too :)

Amanda says:

Goodness gracious, those look unbelievable!! I want one now!!! :)

Courtney says:

Oh my gosh I am SUPER excited to try these out on my boys! What a great afternoon snack from school :) Thanks for sharing this idea!

Krista says:

What adorable little pies! I love that they’re made with easy, every day ingredients, but they look so awesome.

joanne says:

There is nothing that I love more than peanut butter and jelly. I love this and have bookmarked it! Hope to make it soon.

Wendy says:

Those are the cutest tiny pies ever!

Amy says:

Sweet! I have a freezer full of those pie crusts that I got for FREE! I just put my first batch in the oven, so adorable!

Barbara says:

I’m in love with these too. (And so is someone else, I see!)
    PB&J pies! Love it.

Kat says:

Wow these look amazzing. I have been following your blog for a while (even before I started a blog, I love recipie sites!) and everything you make makes my mouth water. My hubby sits next to me and always points at different things you bake going “make that!” Anyway like I said I just started a blog, so any ideas and help would be very much appreciated! These will def be on the to do list! So darn cute! Keep the faith

How cute! They look really tasty too :)

Nicole, RD says:

These look amazing! Thanks for the recipe, and I LOVE your blog!!

Gaby says:

o.m.g. how freaking cute are these! I love them! And the boys sure look like they loved them too!

Bridgett says:

These look so yummy and I can imagine my kids would love these as well. Your little one is darling!

How cute are these?! That is one happy boy you have – looks like a rave review to me.

Briana says:

These mini pies are fabulous! They are so easy to make and easy to eat! They were a big hit for my Hubby who is constantly “on the go”! :)

Aggie says:

Ok, you are unbelievably talented. These are amazing and would win any contest. I’m such a sucker for PB&J…and so easy too! Great job girl!

Stephanie says:

OMG!! how cute is that?! I love anything that’s bite-size!

thanks for sharing ♥

Megan says:

So (I’m clueless about baking) these would work just as well with other fillings? My fiance is back here demanding tiny apple pies!

Mel says:

Thank you so much for sharing this idea! My 4-year-old saw these this morning as we were browsing your blog together, and he immediately insisted we get to work on these “because Daddy and (big sister) REALLY NEED to try them!” And it turns out he was right! We made half with peanut butter, and the other half we subbed with cream cheese for the non-PB eaters in the family, and they were fantastic. We loved them!

Jessica says:

Hey! I made these last night for a couples party and used chocolate and peanut butter! They were a huge hit and I already had most of the ingredients in my pantry! Thanks for the cute ideas!

Jackie says:

I AM IN LOVE WITH THESE! What a fun idea…I hope you don’t mind if I link this recipe – gorgeous final result (and they look SO yummy)!

Tammy says:

I just made these with my 4-year-old daughter. Too cute!! Although mine don’t look nearly as pretty as yours. I also didn’t have to bake mine as long – they were done in about 20 minutes. Thanks for such a darling idea!! Love your site.

Tammy so glad you and your daughter loved them!! I was much more careful putting these together since I knew I was taking pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you so much for this recipe to jazz up pb&j’s! Can not wait to see my girls faces when they have their own personal little pies for lunch, so much fun.

Jen says:

These are adorable and sound so so yummy. You are very creative that’s why I love checking out your site and testing out your recipes. You always have something different and delectable.

Fantastic Site! I wanted to ask if I could site some of your site couple of points for a term paper.

shiloh says:

A little idea for us lazies, lattice a big square and then cut them with biscuit cutter. scoop them up with a turner and plop ‘em on top…seems easier than maneuvering around pots of sticky goodness. Just a short cut I plan on taking…

Sherry says:

what a great idea.. I can’t wait to try it i love the fact it bpj can wait to try it. I want to try the idea with other fillings as well.
    i would not mind trying them for a party could I make them a day in advance? how long do they last?

Clare says:

Wow, I need to make these.

Mrsblocko says:

I made these the other day and wrote about them here: http://tomatoesforapples.blogspot.com/2010/02/baby-pbj-pies.html

I made some of them with Nutella. Yummy!! I wish I had a bigger mini muffin pan so I could make more at a time. Thank you for the fun and delicious recipe.

Meghan says:

I made these last night for a party and they were a HUGE hit. Everyone *loved* them and talked about how delicious they were. There were even a few celebs at the party who raved about it and demanded the recipe ;) Thanks for the help!

EdaBy says:

Beautifully and apparently tasty. Thank you.

wow what a great idea! they look fabulous!

Lori says:

These look so yummy and easy I printed out to make for Easter however I think im missing something. You call for 1 Tbls of sugar, but no where does it say to add it. You have the sugar crystals for top listed in ingred also so is this a dup? or are you mixing with the pb maybe?