Feb
2010

Red Velvet Chocolate Drenched Heartcakes

Tags:

Desserts

Good Monday friends!  What did everyone think of the big game yesterday?  I don’t know about you, but I am not the world’s biggest football fan so I really look forward to the halftime show.  No offense to the Who, but give me some Black Eyed Peas or Justin Timberlake for crying out loud!  Something more modern would have been much more fun!  Ok, I’m done.  I did however enjoy some of the commercials, they were fun :)

So, Valentine’s Day is trickling upon us so let the baking begin!!  I am in love with these little heartcakes.  This is a no fuss recipe that is cute as a button.  Give yourself about an hour and you’ll have these perfectly soft, decadent and festive little treats, Enjoy.

I jazz up my cake box mixes with this special recipe every time, see recipe below :)  I also love my little silicone heart bakers.  I picked them up at William Sonoma years ago on clearance and get so much use out of them.  Here are some similar ones I found online for you…HERE

Tada…they are cute just like this.  But let’s drench them in chocolate!!

Take your can of sweetened condensed milk and heat it in a saucepan.

Add your chocolate chips and stir stir stir until creamy and dreamy!

Now time to drench these little stinkers.  Pour icing over then use a plastic knife to spread all the way around hearts.

Chocolate heaven, I’m telling you!

Red Velvet Chocolate Drenched Heartcakes

1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix

1/2 Cup vegetable oil

1/2 Cup water

8 oz sour cream

1 small box chocolate pudding mix (the 4 serving box)

4 eggs

______________

1 small can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 Cup chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer beat the cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, pudding mix, and eggs until thick and well combined.  Usually for about 60 seconds.  With a cookie scoop or spoon,  place cake batter into well greased little heart molds or paper lined cupcake tins, just over 1/2 full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.  Remove and let cool.  With the help of a plastic knife, carefully remove hearts from molds.  If you are using regular cupcakes, remove wrappers.  Place little cakes onto a cooling rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet.

2. To prepare chocolate sauce, pour sweetened condensed milk into a small saucepan over medium heat.  When hot, pour in chocolate chips and stir until smooth.  Pour chocolate sauce over cupcakes and use a little plastic knife to frost the sides of hearts.  Let chocolate set slightly or eat immediately if you like it gooey!

about 24 heartcakes

_________________________________

See you soon with more Valentine’s Day Baking :)

So, what were you favorite Superbowl commercials yesterday?  There were some cute ones for sure!

Comments

Rachelle says:

We didn’t even turn the game on, we both agreed though if we did it would’ve been for the commercials, lol. We’re not football fans.

But these looks so cute and yummy nummy! Cute cake stand, is that the one I saw in another post, from the store? ;)

These look mouth watering!! And they are so cute!

Molly says:

Good Lord, Jenny! Condensed milk AND chocolate chips?? What could be wrong there? These look too cute! Have a great week.

Oh Jenny another way to make red velvet! Be still my heart. These little things look to die for. And that frosting goodness.

renee says:

looks dee-lish!

How adorable! Very cute idea :)

Becky says:

Yum! Those look delish! I started a recipe blog too, you can check it out at http://www.becsbites.blogspot.com

Thanks…you are an inspiration to me.

Jay says:

Love red velvet. I need to try your version.

Had to respond to your 1/2 time show comment though. I prefer when they use REAL rock bands for sporting events. No red blooded sports fan wants to hear Beyonce belt out Single Ladies. Yes, I have seen JT in concert and even enjoy the P’s, but neither, to me, belong in a stadium. :o)

Sara says:

These are so cute for Valentine’s day and of course, they look delicious. I love the word “drenched,” especially when it has to do with chocolate. :)

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Like you I watch very little football. I actually had to leave for work around 8pm so I missed most everything. These little red heart treats look awesome! I love how they are drenched in chocolate. It seems like you usually only see red velvet cake covered in cream cheese frosting.

Lyn says:

Where does everyone get that white cake plate with the ribbon? Is that southern living home party?

Marisa says:

Do you use cake mixes without pudding already in the mix?

carrian says:

looks delicious!!!

zestycook says:

Eagle Brand Milk rules Jenny!

zara says:

Yummy Yummy Yummy for my Tummy!!!

joanne says:

I didn’t watch the game at ALL! More by accident than anything else…I would have liked to see some commercials. But I ate sushi instead. I’m with you on The Who! I want some scandalous drama in my halftime show.

These look amazing! Red velvet anything is perfect for V-day!

Shannon says:

Hi the cakes look so yummy! I have the heart shaped silicon pans as well mine are wilton though when I have used mine I never get the cupcakes to look like hearts can you please share your secret yours looks perfect I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Hi Shannon,
      I don’t think I do anything special. I make sure I spray them well with cooking spray and I don’t overfill them. That way the heart shape doesn’t overflow which might result in not looking like a heart. Hope this helps a little.

Rebecca says:

Looks like an amazing chocolate and cake combo, a must try!
    Thanks!

shauna says:

These look so yummy! It’s my 1 year anniversary with my boyfriend on Valentines day! Can’t wait to surprise him with these. :)

Linzie says:

So cute! Do you use instant pudding or the cook and serve kind? LOVE your site by the way!

TIffany says:

These looks simply sinful… & I love it!!

That’s so fascinating, the way you prepared your chocolate fudge topping. Looks alot less fiddly too. And I love how you’ve upped the cute factor by making them hearts!

These look amazing! A group of us are going to Sips-n-Strokes for Valentine’s Day to eat, sip wine and paint. These will be the perfect sweet treat. I can’t wait to make them!

Lorraine says:

Stater Bros does not have the velvet cake mix. Where can I find it?

Hi Lorraine,
      I didn’t realize other grocery stores wouldn’t carry this mix. Have you tried Target yet? I believe I’ve picked up a box there. Good luck, hope you can find it!

Kim says:

I made these last night, and OH MY GOODNESS….a Valentine’s Day staple from now on :) Can’t wait to bring some to my son’s teachers! I love your blog – I have made many of your goodies! Thanks :)

Melissa says:

Where did you find a red velvet cake mix? I have looked at several different stores and can’t find one!

Hi Melissa,
      Hmmm, have you tried Target? I think I have picked up a box there. My grocery stores carry them, I didn’t realize that others don’t. Boo to them! Hope you can round up a box :)

Kristen says:

These look divine. I will have to try them for sure. I will probably make a little change though. I will just bake the cake regular then beat the cake up into crumbs and add cream cheese frosting then shape into hearts and cover in chocolate. Thank you for sharing. Love the frosting idea!

Thanks for a yummy V-day dessert. I just finished making these for a party tonight. I didn’t have a heart shaped pan so I used a regular cupcake pan and they’re still cute. I think everyone is going to love them – if they make it to the party!

Kelli says:

These look adorable and yummy! I think these would be perfect for Mom’s Day as well (I know what I’m getting her now) ;)

Ashley says:

Thanks so much. These are so cute and yummy. My son wouldn’t stop eating them.

[...] and then (most importantly!) eat the chocolate cake! You can even make these scrumptious looking Red Velvet Chocolate Drenched Heartcakes and start the Valentine’s celebration a little [...]

[...] tarts, cheesecakes & pies Heart Cake Tutorial by I Am Baker Red Velvet Chocolate Drenched Heart Cakes by Picky Palate Raspberry Mousse Cake by Baker’s Royale Sweetheart Cherry Cake by She Wears [...]

Rachel says:

Hi Jenny! I love these cakes!! I made them a few months ago and am going to make them again for a Christmas party, but I was wondering if it would be possible to make a similar icing in white chocolate? I’d like to have half and half if possible.

Love your site!
    Rachel

[...] Cookies 2-Ingredient Strawberry Fudge Chocolate Cherry Bark Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes Red Velvet Chocolate Heartcakes No-Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Chocolate Cherry Whoopie Pies Have a great [...]