Feb
2010

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies? Yes!

Tags: , ,

Cookies

Have I got a treat for you today right before Valentines day!

I was getting ready to cut my traditional sugar cookies in the shape of hearts for this post and a little light bulb went off!  I don’t know if I was craving cinnamon rolls or what, but I thought to myself….I am soooo making these sugar cookies into cinnamon rolls!  Brace yourself friends, you will NOT be able to stop eating these, they are that good.

My husband and I both agree the only way to enjoy these beauties is after they’ve chilled in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Talk about heaven :)  I’ll stop talking so you can go make these quickly, make them for your Valentine and he or she will LOVE you forever!!

Roll your chilled dough into about a 12 inch x 5 inch oval.

Just pretend that I’m not spreading all that butter over cookie dough, we’ll all feel better :)

Brown sugar is next up

Then the Cinnamon!

Time to roll into a cute little log, then use a sharp knife to cut into slices

Place onto your baking sheet

Baked to perfection, I’m drooling just thinking about them again

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting

No words needed!

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup sour cream
6 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons softened butter, (slice 2 Tablespoons 6 times totaling 12 tablespoons)
1 1/2 Cups packed light brown sugar, divided into 1/4 Cups
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon, divided

Frosting
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
2-4 Tablespoons milk, to thin icing

1. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.

2. In 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.

3. Once chilled, cut each disc into thirds and roll into a 1/8 inch thick oval, about 12 inches X 5 inches.  Spread each rolled pieces of dough with 2 Tablespoons softened butter, 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.  Start rolling from the long end closest to you, rolling into a log shape.  Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch pieces of dough then placing onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

4.  To prepare frosting, beat the cream cheese until softened and smooth, slowly add powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency.  Frost cookies then place in refrigerator until ready to serve.  These are 100 times better chilled, trust me!!

Makes at least 6 dozen

Comments

MaryMoh says:

Looks delicious. I’m sure a cup of tea to go with it would make my day…mmm

These are so cute!! They also look mouth watering.

Raquel Mountoulias says:

I love every single recipe you have here…I will probably gonna have to work my way into your recipe index!!

Molly says:

Holy Cow, Jenny. You had me at cinnamon roll!

Wow. 2 of my favorites meeting in the middles. I’ve gotta try this. Thanks Jenny.

Jill says:

Wow! These look amazing. Might have to bake today.

Barbara says:

OMG. No, there’s no comment needed on these gems!

Laura says:

Wow, those look so good! I need to try those soon!

Laurie says:

WOW! These look amazing. I think I’ll try making them on the weekend. You get the same flavour of a cinnamon roll … but So much easier to make. Plus they’re in cookie form! :) Thx.
    Laurie

Jessie says:

Those look amazing and I use the same sugar cookie dough recipe as you. I think I am going to make these for our ward v-day party friday night!! Thanks for the idea!!

Heavens to Betsy, these look good!! Great idea! I can’t wait to try these. Thanks for sharing!

Dorothy says:

Adorable! They look just like miniature cinnamon rolls (the point, I know). Cream cheese icing = YUM :)

Lauren says:

What a great idea! Those look absolutely amazing…my mouth is watering!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Amazing! I gotta make these…yum!

Michelle says:

Cinnamon and sugar cookies are a match made in heaven. I added some cinnamon oil to my cream cheese frosting for sugar cookies yesturday and its heavenly too! I will totally be trying these!

Rachelle says:

Oh these are awesome!! I have to make sugar cookie heart cut outs today for my little one’s Vday party at school….wonder if I’ll have any dough leftover to try these? =)

Sara says:

Cinnamon roll and a sugar cookie all rolled into one? Amazing!! :)

Becky says:

I will definitely have to make these!

Dandy says:

That is absolutely brilliant!

Wow, those sound wonderful! I wish I was at home making them instead of at work.

Krystle says:

These look heavenly! I wish I could have one…or 5 right now!

Risa says:

Oh my…these look dangerous. I have a serious weekness for cinnamon buns. Mmmm

Jessica B. says:

Just made these while kiddos napped. Used a short-cut of fridge sugar cookie-dough that I had on hand. Made it uber easy. Although I cut my discs a bit too skinny b/c baked up flat…but uber yummy! Thank you!

Jessica,
      I was wondering how the refrigerated store bought dough would work, I imagined them to bake flat, so glad that you experimented with that! This dough in my recipe is so good and it even is a bit puffy to look even more like cinnamon rolls!! Thanks for sharing :)

Siggy Spice says:

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I am imagining they would be somewhat snickerdoodley. My sweet tooth thanks you, not so much my ass, but definately my sweet tooth ;)

Jen says:

These look divine. Why hasn’t somebody thought of these before?! you should definitely make the patent. ;)

renee says:

Yum, looks fantatstic. I can’t wait to try these! You are amazing.

karen says:

I think I love you. Really.

Linds says:

Def going to make these this weekend! They look amazing!

Donalyn says:

These would be awesome over on DessertStalking! Hope you come and give us a try!

Sarah says:

drool….

Recipe printed and put into the “GOTTA TRY THIS!” file. Wow.. looks sooo good. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Aggie says:

Brilliant! Looks amazing Jenny! I love it when ideas just “happen”!!

Staci Brown says:

Heaven’s to Betsy!! These look incredible! You have the most awesome recipes!

Amanda says:

OMG Jenny!! :) I am sucker for anything cinnamon-bun and when I saw these I almost fainted! I knew I had to make them! :) I made them tonight and they were outta this world- the soft, chewy sugar cookie was heaven! :) We had the first batch fresh and warm out of the oven, but the second batch is in the fridge now, chillin’. I’m not sure if they can beat what we had tonight, but I’m looking forward to finding out tomorrow. :D THANKS! :)

Joycee says:

I don’t know whether to say Thank You or I Hate You! These are killer cookies, can’t wait to make them. I just made my favorite sugar cookies today, the old standby’s that are so dang good but you know, these may be my new favorite! Thanks for sharing

Oh, no you didn’t!!! THOSE are DANGEROUS!!! (In a totally GOOD way!)

Krista says:

Have mercy! These look delicious. What a horrible (for my diet) idea. No really, these are genius. I’d love a batch of them right now.

I always think “chocolate” at Valentine’s Day … this is such a yummy change of pace. I think a tall glass of milk (lowfat, of course) would be perfect w/ those sugar cookies!

Stephanie says:

OH MY HEAVENS!!!! What a cuuuuute idea!!! I am TOTALLY going to try this!! Thanks!!

Veronica M. says:

Jenny, you are a genius! I think this may be the most creative cookie I’ve ever seen!!! I just HAVE to make these for Cookie Mondays–my hubby’s co-workers will love them! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jenny, these look dangerous! I was helping the boys w/ their Valentine’s tonight and sad that you wouldn’t be ringing our door w/ a plate of treats. :) Kade’s going to take treats around to his friends tomorrow, I think we’ll be making these instead of the same old frosted heart cookies. THANKS!!

I think I want to turn these into magnets and put them on my fridge, so I can look at them all day long, and pretend to eat them whenever I want!

Emily Mangum says:

These look so amazing and simple and yummy…all in one! Great idea Jenny!

Kim Adams says:

PLEASE TELL ME YOU CAN MAKE THESE WHEN WE COME & STAY WITH YOU GUYS!!! I HAVE to have these!!

Amanda says:

Amazing idea! They so look awesome. I gotta try these!

Kristine says:

Can anyone tell me how many this makes? So excited to make these!!

Hi Kristine,
      The recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies. Enjoy!

• Korbe says:

Good to hear it only makes 3 dozen, because on the bottom of the post it said something about 6 dozen and I was going to ask for a half batch recipe, since some of them don’t break down well (ex. half of three eggs? half of 1/4 tsp salt?), but 3 dozen I can do ^.^
        Thanks for the incredible recipe Jenny, so excited to try it for my blog!
        -Korbe

• Jenny says:

Hi Korbe,
          The recipe does actually make 6 dozen, but the good news is, you can freeze the leftover sugar cookie dough and save it for later! That’s what I did :) Hope you enjoy!

carrian says:

we also love cinnamon roll sugar cookies! Definitely one of our faves!

jessica says:

I made them and they turned out awesome! Thanks!

Mandy says:

This is genius! They remind me of snickerdoodles on steroids.:) Can’t wait to try them!!!