May
2010

Cinnamon and Sugar Toasted Mini Pita Fruit Nachos…

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Desserts

Cinnamon and Sugar Toasted Mini Pita Fruit Nachos with Honeyed Mascarpone and Dark Chocolate

Hi everyone!  Hope you all had a great weekend.  We ended up taking the boys to see “How To Train Your Dragon” in 3D Saturday and LOVED it.  I think I was more into it than my 4 year old!  Really a fun movie.

So,  here is Part 3 of my Mother’s Day Recipes with Whole Foods….Dessert!  Saved the best for last!

Whole Foods has one of my very favorite products…..the mini pitas.  You can get them in original and wheat.  Super cute, about 2 inch little circles.  If you can’t get to a Whole Foods, try Trader Joes, I’ve seen some small pitas there.  You can also just cut regular size pitas in little triangles.  It will taste just the same :)

I also used more of my other favorite ingredients in this recipe… honeyed mascarpone and dark chocolate.  What I wouldn’t give for a midnight snack of these babies right now!  Too bad they are long gone.  Prepare yourself for best darn fruit nachos you’ve ever had….maybe your first :)  Enjoy!

Dark chocolate and honeyed mascarpone…I am in heaven!

Cinnamon and Sugar Toasted Mini Pita Fruit Nachos

1 package of mini pitas from Whole Foods, or 6 regular size pitas cut into triangles will work (if you use 6 regular size pitas, make sure you double the remaining recipe except the fruit :)

3 Tablespoons melted butter

3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

3 Tablespoons finely ground pecans

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 pint strawberries, washed and chopped

2 Cups chopped fresh pineapple

1 pint raspberries, washed and dried

1 Cup finely chopped good quality chocolate, or chocolate chips

8 oz mascarpone cheese (you can substitute softened cream cheese here if you wish)

2 Tablespoons honey

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place mini pitas and melted butter into a large ziplock bag.  Shake around until all pitas are coated.  Immediately place buttered pitas into a second large ziplock with sugar, pecans and cinnamon.  Shake well until all pitas are coated.  Place coated pitas onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pitas are crisp.

2.  Place chocolate over a double broiler, stirring until melted.  Drizzle over crisped pitas and transfer to cooling rack.  You can let chocolate harden or serve with it melted.  Place mascarpone cheese and honey into a mixing bowl; mix to combine.  With a small cookie scoop, scoop a dollop of honeyed mascarpone onto the centers of each pita.  Place all fruit into a large mixing bowl.  Spoon fruit over mascarpone and pita.  Serve immediately.

6 servings, 2 or so mini pitas per person

_______________________________

Have a great new week, catch ya soon :)

Comments

sibylle says:

wow!! what a great spring/summer treat!!!
    thx for sharing!
    have a nice day!
    sibylle

THose are just too adorable!

Molly says:

Yum, Jenny! I love cinnamon sugar pitas. I’m sure these are delicious.

Those look and sound amazing!

They’re so cute! Delicious little treats for sure. We saw the dragon movie too. I usually dread kid’s movies but I really enjoyed that one a lot.

I’m the same way! Some of the kids movies are torture, but this one I’ll totally buy for the boys and be happy to watch with them again :) Have a great day Lori!!

what a brillant idea they look awesome~

Michelle says:

What a unique recipe and so cute too!

Janelle says:

I’ve never actually had mascarpone, and since I’m not 100% sure how to pronounce it, I’m guessing that it’s probably a little expensive. This sounds like it would be just as good with a slightly sweetened cream cheese, though.

Janelle,
      This recipe is still really good with cream cheese, but for a special occasion definitely give the mascarpone a try, it is so good!! Hope you enjoy.

I can’t wait to make these. How fun! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo too!

Debbi says:

These look fantastic! I always come to your blog when I need appetizers!

carrian says:

Those look and sound so yummy right now!

Becky O. says:

honeyed mascaropone! sign me up. these look delicious!

Julie says:

These look great…I’ve never seen pitas that tiny!

Heather says:

These are adorable! They sounds delicious! And they seem perfect for little one’s too! Just the right size for their little hands. Thanks so much Jenny!

Kerstin says:

What cute little treats! I love how easy they are to put together too!

patsyk says:

They look like a perfect treat for Mother’s Day! Gonna have to see if my boys can make them for me! ;)

LilSis says:

I love these!! Perfect little treats for a brunch!

britt says:

mmm… these look so good! great creative recipe! love it!

These mini pita fruit nachos are very creative and they look so tasty! I think I could probably eat that whole plateful!

Maggy says:

I know I’ve said it a million times, but….you always come up with the coolest ideas! These looks delicious! Very fun for brunch or as a sweet thing to pass around.

Yum… I love desserts with fresh fruit – it makes me feel healthier eating them.

Amanda says:

OMG – those look incredible!!

Edana says:

Oooh, those look delicious! And simple! What a wonderful combination. And it’s nice to know that I’m not the only adult who loved How to Train your Dragon. Did you hear about how some people got “Avatar depression” after seeing Avatar, because the earth would never be that beautiful? I got Dragon depression. Because I’ll never have a dragon.

Ooohh! These look so good! What a great idea for mother’s day! My mom will love these. Thanks for giving a substitute for marscapone…cream cheese will work great.

holly says:

These look really fresh and yummy:)

What a cute idea! I’ll have to watch for these mini pitas.
    I still haven’t taken my boys to How To Train Your Dragon yet, but really need to. We read all of the books together and I know they would love the movie.

What a great dessert. I would love ‘em with the warm gooey chocolate. They are healthy with the whole wheat pitas, fruit and calcium from the cheese, right?? See, I can put a spin on anything. xo

Sharlene says:

Wonderful idea for Mother’s Day (or any other day).

Fuji Mama says:

Mmmmm, another winner Jenny! I am a slave to mascarpone!!

megan says:

these look like a perfect little morsel of food! Love ‘em!

Bridgett says:

This would be perfect for the Mother’s Day party I am having. I love the mascarpone in this! What a fun and delicious recipe.

CookiePie says:

ADORABLE – I love these! What a fabulous idea!

Alex says:

Sorry if this is weird….but i love your silverware! Where did you get them?

kendralula says:

i’m a little confused as to how many of those delicious little pita nachos this makes. in the serving size info you say it serves 6 with 2 mini-pitas each, implying it makes 12. but in the recipe you say you can sub slicing 6 regular pitas into triangles. that math doesn’t really add up.

You are right, I need to edit the recipe. If you are using regular pitas, I would double everything but the fruit. You’ll have plenty of fruit.

sjantzen says:

These look absolutely delicious!!

Sassyrose says:

These remind me of the chocolate nachos we used to make…. delicious! Wonderful variation. Will try them soon :) http://i39.tinypic.com/xpq0xg.jpg

Becki D says:

Ohhh my. I want these NOW!

Jay says:

LOL Pineapple is $1.49.

I was born and raised in Calif and moved away when I was 33 for DH work. When we tell folks we are from Calif they comment about how expensive Calif is. I always say…”only houses. Cars, clothes, etc. cost the same and produce is cheaper and fresher because everything is grown there”. I am on the East Coast now and pay a minimum of $3.99 for pineapple!!

Richard says:

These look fantastic!!

Renae says:

These look fantastic!! And if anyone is close to a Wegmans (I’m in VA), they sell the mini pitas there and they are fantastic!

Marlene says:

–For slightly more stubborn stains, make a
    paste of baking soda and water, or talc with a diluted solution of bleach ammonia, or hydrogen peroxide.
    If you are using your table to entertain the visitors, a removable leaf or
    extension should be used. Closely, akin to kitchen carts, but often used more for
    functionality than style are kitchen utility carts.