Nov
2010

I Smell Thanksgiving…

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Anyone else counting down the days until Thanksgiving?!

Apparently I am so excited for Turkey Day that I made a partial Thanksgiving dinner last night.  Talk about a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving Dinner Table….my Bacon and Onion Pan Fried Potatoes.  The flavors going on here are crazy good.  In fact, I might just have to have a plate for breakfast today…with some scrambled eggs, mmm!

If you have been looking for the perfect side dish to complete your Thanksgiving dinner, look no further, I have found it for you :)  Enjoy…..then scroll down and see the recipe for a  perfectly juicy Turkey with minimal prep work!

Oh and if you have the Cooking Channel, you can catch me on a new series called “From The Kitchens of” with Brigitte Ngyuen.  My episodes are the Pillsbury ones.  There are 2 shows, Everyday Recipes and Holiday Recipes airing the rest of November and most of December.

Just a few tasty ingredients for your line-up.

Really simple here….which makes this dish all the more fabulous!

Bacon and Onion Pan Fried Potatoes

1 lb fingerling potatoes

1/2 lb applewood smoked bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces

1 Tablespoon butter

2 Tablespoons reserved bacon drippings

1/2 Cup fresh chopped onion

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1/4 Cup fresh chopped parsley

1.  Boil potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender.  Drain and slice lengthwise.

2.  Render bacon in medium dutch oven or other appropriate pot/pan.  When browned and crisped transfer to a paper towel lined plate.  Discard all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings.  Place the 2 Tablespoons back into the pot along with the butter until melted over a medium heat.  Add onions; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute then add sliced potatoes, cooked bacon, salt, pepper and parsley.  Stir then reduce heat to low to keep warm.  Ready to serve.

4 servings

_______________________________________

Picky Palate’s Butter Herbed Juicy Turkey

Have you ever cooked your turkey in a Turkey Bag?  Well, if you haven’t you might just want to check it out.  My mom has used these bags for years and her turkey is always juicy and delicious.  Because my mama taught me well, I too use the turkey bag :)

My recipe is simple, makes the house smell like a dream and provides you with a turkey that is equally juicy and full of Thanksgiving flavor!

I literally cooked up this gorgeous bird yesterday late afternoon when the sun was heading out…..hence my lack of photos (I’ve become a “natural light only” photo snob).  Take my word on this one, this bird was DELISH :)  Can’t wait for Thanksgiving next week, yippee!

Here’s my bird all buttered and herbed up, wrapped in his fun turkey bag :)

Ahhh, a few hours later, Mr Turkey looks like a dream :)

Carve your turkey and you are ready for action.  See a video on how to easily carve your turkey HERE

Picky Palate’s Butter Herbed Juicy Turkey

12 lb Turkey, thawed

1 stick butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 onion, peeled and quartered

3 sprigs fresh rosemary

2 sprigs sage leaves

1 Reynold’s Turkey Bag

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.   Spread 1/2 butter all over outside of turkey then the remaining half on the inside.  Season with salt and pepper then place onion quarters inside cavity of turkey.  Place sprigs of rosemary and sage inside cavity with some sticking out.  Place entire turkey in turkey bag, seal with a tie and snip a few slices to allow to steam.  Bake for 3 hours or until thermometer reads 180 degrees F when inserted deep into meat without touching bone.

2.  Remove and let rest for 20 minutes.  Carve and serve.

Approx 6 servings

_______________________________________

I am having dessert withdrawls, you?  No worries, Dessert is coming right up!

Comments

Loving the bacon and cheddar potatoes! Yum!

Delicious potato recipe! I’ve used the bag before… my turkey usually falls apart when I cook it in the bag- so tender!

I cannot WAIT for Thanksgiving either!!!! Yummmmmmmmmy!

I have a lot of family coming to stay with us that weekend, and your potato side dish just made my weekend menu!

Thank you for having a fabulous website. I have recommended you on my website – I hope that’s ok? You have devine recipes I cannot WAIT to try and I want all my friends to try them too!!!

Liz says:

Ah, we’ve been having issues lately with no one wanting regular mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving – I think these potatoes will be the perfect swap!! Thanks Jenny :)

Great turkey day recipes!

Those potatoes would be great for breakfast or any time of day or year.

Deborah says:

I have actually never cooked a turkey before, but I’m wanting to this year – just so I have all the leftovers to myself!! And being a potato lover, those potatoes have me drooling!

Jenny, thanks for hooking us up with these two great recipes for Thanksgiving! The turkey tips are so helpful & we can’t get enough bacon over here :) xo

Kristen says:

These both look absolutely delicious – I bet they smell amazing!!

I would be honored for you to link these recipes to my blog party: This Week’s Cravings! This week’s theme is Thanksgiving Dinner & Side Dishes: http://frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/this-weeks-cravings-thanksgiving-dinner.html

Tracy says:

These look delicious! Perfect side for Thanksgiving!

i am SO making those to impress my friends this year…they’ll be the hit of the party!

sherry says:

I’ve used the turkey bag and I can’t remember if one has drippings to make turkey gravey? How do you do your turkey gravy (that is, if you were making mashed potatoes).

kim says:

Making these potatoes tonight thank u!!

Those potatoes look scrumptious! Making me really look forward to eating a Thanksgiving meal next week. And your recipes/pictures are making me hungry right now and it’s too late at night to eat!
    Happy Turkey Day to you and your family!

This recipe is truly making me salivate. What a treat on Thanksgiving or any other day.

I’m so disappointed I don’t get the Cooking Channel. Any chance the episodes will be put on the web?

Potatoes and bacon.. a true match made in heaven!! The oven bags are a wonderful invention – makes cooking a juicy and moist turkey almost fullproof (especially with your simple and straightforward directions!)

These pototos look amaaaaazing! I’m posting a similar next week, except with Brussels sprouts!

Mrs. L says:

Heck with waiting for the holidays, I want those potatoes now!

Debbie says:

Those potatoes look delish, they are so small and cute! Thanks for the turkey bag tip too, can’t wait till Thanksgiving!

Mariko says:

Oh, by the way, I’m on TV?!
    Coolio. Whoop whoop!
    I used a turkey bag once. Guess who put it too close to the top of the oven…
    Paper bags work surprisingly well.
    Love the herbs coming out of that turkey!

Kim C. says:

Can you still use the bag-method if you want to put stuffing inside of the turkey?

I’m not a big rosemary fan, so will foregoing this step really effect it much?

Can’t wait till T-Day! :)

I am so excited.. I am making a turkey for the first time using your recipe. I can’t wait to share it with everyone!

Fingerling Potatoes and Bacon…oh yes, please!

Angela says:

I made these potatoes last night and they were so yummy! Thanks for all the recipes. I’ve been following you for a while and I love your website!

I’m counting down the days too! And I have the cooking channel, so I’ll definitely check out your show. I am really liking the cooking channel because its so refreshing from Food TV

Sonya says:

those potatoes sound and look wonderful!!

You had me at potatoes. And then again at bacon. ; )

These potatoes look amazing, really nice recipe. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving :D

megan says:

Bacon and potatoes, count me in!

What a fantastic post! It’s filled with so many delicious recipes that I would love to try!

Heahter Bell says:

My husband would rejoice over those potatoes!! bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

I?ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you place to create such a fantastic informative web site.

[...] Three Cheese and Sausage Homemade Mac and Cheese Chicken Florentine Bowtie Pasta Pepperoni (or any topping really) Pizza Enchiladas Mexi-Chicken Campenelle Dinner Bacon and onion pan fried potatoes [...]

Personally, I adore how the style is classic andd upscale as well as practical.
    At this time, Mexico was having rouble with wheat production and its rising population helped worsen
    the problem. Presuming that thee grain itself is stored
    in it’s whole state and is not cracked, it will be stable and ready to use for many many years.