Nov
2010

Cheesy Bacon Green Bean Casserole Pot Pie

Tags: , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Thanksgiving is just around the corner so I thought I’d share one more killer side dish that will have you licking your pie plate :)  Green bean casserole has been around for ages…..and I LOVE it, all versions of it actually.  I thought it would be fun to make my green bean casserole into this beautiful buttery puff pasty topped pot pie.

It is sinfully delicious and I hope you enjoy!   No worries, I’ve got a yummy Thanksgiving dessert coming up first thing Monday morning :)

Here’s your line-up :)

Cook up your bacon, one of the best smells ever!

I dare you not to snag a few pieces.  I couldn’t resist.

Don’t be afraid of the cheese sauce.  A little butter, flour, seasonings, chicken broth and cheese.  Easy :)

I like to boil the fresh beans for a few minutes so they aren’t ultra crunchy.  Just enough :)  Note that you can use 2 cans, (drained) of green beans if you prefer.

Saute your onions and garlic, mmmm!

Add your beans and bacon to your onions and garlic :)

….and the cheese sauce!

Pour into a nice little pie plate…

Spread evenly….

Dip your finger in the cheese sauce for a little taste :)

Trim your puff pasty.

Lay over pie plate.

Tuck edges, make a few slits for the steam and time to bake!

Holy Moly does that look good or what?

Let cool for about 15 minutes, then dig in!

Cheesy Bacon Green Bean Casserole Pot Pie

1/2 lb bacon sliced into 1/2 inch pieces

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 Tablespoon fresh minced garlic

12 oz bag of fresh trimmed green beans

1 stick butter

1/2 Cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper

1 1/2 Cups chicken broth

1 1/4 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 sheet puff pastry thawed

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cook bacon in medium dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisped.  Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate then discard all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings.  Saute onions in remaining bacon drippings until softened, about 5 minutes, stir in garlic and cook for a minute.  Reduce heat to low.  Boil green beans in pot for 5 minutes, until just fork tender.  Transfer beans to a ice water bath.  Add beans to onions and garlic along with the crisped bacon.

2.  To make sauce melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until well combined then whisk in chicken broth until thick and creamy, for about 3-4 minutes.  Once hot and creamy stir in shredded cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce over beans then transfer to a 9 inch pie plate.  Trim square puff pastry edges to more of a round (does not have to be perfect).  Lay puff pastry over beans, folding edges under.  Cut 4-5 slits to allow for steam to escape.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until puff pastry is nice and golden.  Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing into.

6-8 servings

___________________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!  See you soon :)

Comments

That looks amazing !!

April in CT says:

I never thought I’d want green beans for breakfast, but I’d tear up on that right now! Looks scrumptious!

Bacon! I just love this twist on green bean casserole. Delish!

wow, this looks so much more delicious than regular green bean casserole!

Carol says:

Oh, yum! I’m definitely putting this on my menu plan, but I think I might add some leftover turkey & serve it as a main dish after Thanksgiving. Love your recipes!
    CAS

What a wonderful twist on a classic dish! I love the bacon and cheese!

Have a great Thanksgiving Jenny :)

Janet says:

Oh my goodness, just when you think it can’t get any better- YUM! That looks fab! I may have to make this before Thanksgiving!

Marla says:

Wowzers Jenny! This is some kinda fab way to cook up green beans! I just love all of these holiday flavors. Lovely casserole :)

Lauren B. says:

Holy moly does that look good!

That looks HEAVENLY!! I will be making that soon!! :)

jenna says:

looks delicious!! I love pot pie…and how could you go wrong with bacon? :)

Sarah says:

Looks so good! Jenny– I have been searching for a great chicken pot pie recipe for so long!! Do you think the filling for this would work if i added some chicken & other veggies as well or do you think it would be too cheesy?? If not, can you please do a chicken pot pie recipe soon??

well, now i know what i’m making and taking to the potluck this weekend! it’s BEAUTIFUL!

Carissa says:

I’m in charge of green beans for Thanksgiving and I’m so excited to make this for everyone. Thanks!

dann says:

Esta buenisimo!!! MMMmmm :D
    Saludos!

Tiffany says:

making my first Christmas Dinner this year and this will definitely be on the menu! wow!

teedo Lewis says:

wow Jen that looks sooooooo good can’t wait to see you guys love ya dad

Tricia says:

I read food blogs…make myself hungry….cook something. Then it starts all over again. Thanks for the blog…..

Karen says:

This looks so good!!!!! I’ve got to try this.

You had me at bacon!! This looks yummy Jen!

Puff pastry is the perfect addition here! Another fabulous creation by you!

Krista says:

What a great take on the traditional old green bean casserole. I can’t wait to try this!

Oh, I love any kind of pot pie. ANY kind.

Looks lovely and will yummy with leftover turkey for sure!

So fun to hang out this weekend. xo

gloria says:

Made this last night….BIG hit with the kids!

Tracy says:

I think I love you. If there are any green bean casserole leftovers this Thanksgiving, I’m stealing them to make this!!

What a fun variation on green bean casserole! The crust is so pretty and would be a wonderful treat on any holiday table.

Ooooooh this looks so good! I can’t resist anything with that much bacon, cheese and puff pastry, even if I’m not a big veggie fan! :)

meghan says:

For the love of God woman! For the love of God!

Oh my goodness, that’s all I can say!

Doni says:

Oooh, that will go over well over Thanksgiving. I would also make this into individual bundles by cutting 4″X4″ squares of the puff pastry and putting the filling into the center and pull up the corners of the pastry and twist. Bake as directed until golden. :)

Amy B. says:

Oh my goodness… I am drooling and my tummy is growling just looking at this recipe! Spectacular! But then again… every recipe on this site is wonderful! Love the pics… so much fun to look at. They totally sell the recipe! Great job! Can’t wait to see what’s posted next! =)

Julie says:

Wow, that looks like a wonderful main dish on it’s own!

This does look delicious but in the picture it looks like there is a crust on the bottom. Putting the cheesy bean mixture directly into the pie plate and then covering with the pastry sounds like it makes this difficult to cut up and serve. Have you ever made it in a real pie crust or with puff pastry both on bottom and top? I really want to make this for Thursday, so if anyone could offer any advice I’d appreciate it.

Hi Elita,
      There is no pie crust in my recipe and I was able to serve it no problem. However if you would like to do this recipe with a top and bottom pie crust I think it would be delicious as well. I would bake the bottom crust first for 15 minutes, fill with the filling, top with pie crust and bake for another 30-45 minutes, checking every 5 minutes after 30 minutes. Hope you enjoy :)

Joy says:

I can’t wait to try this!!!

Sherryl says:

I made this recipe this weekend for my husband who had been away on a business trip for two weeks and my son who came home from college just for the night. This recipe is unbelievably good! Both guys ranted and raved about how delicious it was. It was even gourmet-like! I will DEFINITELY make this recipe again and again. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jamie says:

What an awesome way to eat your green beans. Looks amazing!

Goodness gracious, this would also make a delicious main dish this winter. What a wonderful idea.

Amanda says:

I featured you today on my blog I would love if you stopped by to check it out! Todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Amanda

[...] Cheesy Bacon Green Bean Casserole Pot Pie | Picky Palate Green Beans with Leeks & Feta: Simple & Healthy String Bean Recipe — Family Fresh Cooking says: November 20, 2010 at 9:13 am. [...] Cheesy Bacon Green Bean Casserole Pot Pie Picky Palate [...] … Jan 01, 1970 12:00am [...]

Brittany says:

Hello what does one stick of butter equal ? thank you

Karen Hayes says:

I have to say I really dislike green beans, but this recipe looked so yummy I had to make it for Thanksgiving. Instead of green beans I used asparagas! OH SO TWO LARGE HELPINGS GOOD! I also backed it in a sqaure pyrex dish so I didn’t have to waste any of the dough! Keep the awesome recipes coming! I loved checking everyday!

I love this new spin on a classic dish. We can never go without green bean casserole on Thanksgiving in this household!

Jill Holamon says:

I made this today to go with Christmas dinner, but used Pilsbury crust instead of puff pastry. Thanks you for sharing this recipe. It was fabulous!

Merry Christmas!

Tannis says:

I made this tonight but added in 3 cooked chicken breasts (shredded) to make it more of a meal. So good! Thank you!

magnificent submit, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my website =). We could have a link change agreement between us

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I fulfillment you get admission to consistently quickly.