Jan
2011

Hot Chocolate with Maple Marshmallows

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

I am thrilled to share with you a new cookbook today by my friend Carrie Vitt titled Deliciously Organic.  Carrie’s recipes are beautiful, healthy and simple to prepare.  Do yourself  a favor and pick yourself up a copy today!

I chose to try Carrie’s Hot Chocolate with Maple Marshmallows.  How good does that sound?  The maple marshmallows are light, fluffy and made completely with real maple syrup.  My boys loved it!  Take a peek at the recipe and give it a try :)

Here’s the cover of Carrie’s book, cute right?!  Helene Dujardin of Tartlette photographed Carrie’s book and the photos are absolutely stunning.  Wait until you see them.  Really lovely.

I love how there are only a few ingredients here and they really are a breeze to whip up.

Carrie’s homemade hot chocolate is incredible :)

Hot Chocolate with Maple Marshmallows

4 Cups whole raw milk

5 Tablespoons maple syrup

5 Tablespoons cacao powder

1 teaspoon vanilla

Dash of Cinnamon

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Continue to whisk to dissolve cacao into milk (this will take a minute or two).  Warm until steaming, stirring frequently.  Pour into mugs and serve with maple marshmallows.

Maple Marshmallows

3 Tablespoons unflavored gelatin

2 Cups maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (Carrie has a homemade recipe on pg 212)

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 Cup water in a  bowl of a standing mixer with whisk attatched.  Set aside for 5 minutes so the gelatin can soften and bloom.  Lightly oil a 13×9 inch baking dish.

Whisk together the maple syrup and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Gently simmer until syrup reaches 240 degrees F.  With mixer on medium speed, very slowly add maple syrup to gelatin and water in mixing bowl.  Add vanilla and turn mixer on high for 10 minutes until liquid had doubled and becomes light and fluffy.  Pour into dish and let sit overnight.

The next day, flip the marshmallows onto a greased cutting board.  Cut marshmallows using a knife dipped in hot water to prevent sticking. Or use cookie cutters you have dipped in a little oil.

__________________________

Have a wonderful new week!  See you soon :)

Comments

Shelby says:

This may be the recipe that finally makes me get up and make marshmallows! Sounds and looks awesome!

Bernd says:

I have yet to attempt miknag my own marshmallows probably because they’re so easily purchased? I LOVE that you posted about less than perfect results that’s keepin’ it real (I like real )

Maple Marshmallows sound amazing! I probably will just continue to drool since I’ve never made marshmallows before…but I want to. I actually ADORE marshmallows and post about my love for them frequently :)

This looks like awesome hot choc! And I have seen a few other bloggers review Carrie’s book…looks great!

Maple marshmallows sound awesome and I don’t even love maple. It is below 0 here this morning and this just sounds fabulous!

Sanjeeta kk says:

Love the combo of maple syrup marshmallow and hot chocolate. Looks exotic!

I never thought about making marshmallows at home…..but they are on my list of things to make now! Thanks for sharing the details of the book – sounds great.

I love how the hot chocolate is sweetened with maple syrup. Everything looks delicious :)

i have been wanting to make marshmallows for as long as i can remember…these sound amazing!

Jenny, such a lovely review of Carries book. That hot cocoa with marshmallows looks great for a day on the slopes, or any time really!

Heather says:

Yum! Both of these sound delicious for a chilly day. I love Carrie’s cookbook. So many great recipes. I had the hot chocolate on my list of must tries. Waiting for the next cool front to come our way to make it.
    Have a great week!

Thank you for a beautiful post! I can’t wait to hold your book in my hands soon!

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jenny F., Tickled Red. Tickled Red said: RT @PickyPalate: {New Post} Come see @delorganic 's Hot Chocolate with Maple Marshmallows! Her cookbook is awesome :) http://su.pr/1SZEh1 [...]

Maple marshmallows sounds genious!! =] Yummy!

I love homemade marshmallows so much! Can’t wait to try these. I’m so excited about this book too! Waiting on it’s arrival right now!!

Yum! Maple marshmellows! How delicious!!

EatLiveRun says:

those marshmallows are beautiful!! I bet they’d make good s’mores, too ;)

I have been eyeing that recipe in Carrie’s beautiful book. Now I will definitely have to try it. That opening photo is beautiful!

the marshmallows are making my mouth water. And not because I’m Canadian, just cause they would be unreal in that hot chocolate.

Jenny, what a nice review of Carrie’s book and a great choice. Your pics really do it justice!

I have never thought about maple flavor in hot chocolate! Woo hoo! Sounds delish. =)

Tracy says:

Maple marshmallows, oh my gosh! This sounds so delightful!

Jennifurla says:

What a fab recipe! I also checked out Elizabethan desserts…Love it.

I am not a big coffee drinker, but I LOVE a big ole cup of hot chocolate on a cold morning (or afternoon) (or evening)! I will definitely be giving this one a try!

Yummy! I’ve made homemade marshmallows before, and while they are involved to make, they result is always scrumptious!

beatrix says:

I know what I’m having tonight :)

Leslie says:

That book looks great–as does the Hot Chocolate.

In other news, I made your chickpea, pepper, and arugula salad today and it was great! I added a little sprinkle of feta which gave it a nice layer of flavor. I will be making this one again!

Sharlene says:

Wow. My heart is aching to make this.

You made those marshmallows?? I SO want to make those. Sounds so yummy, especially on this snowy NYC day!

farida says:

I like cold Chocolate with marshmallows for lunch day

farida

I’m not generally a marshmallow fan, but maybe homemade ones would be more tempting.

Karen says:

You’ve just kicked my favorite thing–hot cocoa–up a notch! I’ve been perusing your recipes and am a new subscriber. I hope you’ll come visit The Executive Mom and join Burnt Toast Thursday, our simple recipe swap.

[...] – Susan Salzman She Wears Many Hats – Amy Johnson  Savor the Thyme – Jennifer Leal Picky Palate – Jenny Flake Devour the World – Jen Kayano Ladles and Jellyspoons – Lucy [...]