Feb
2011

Superbowl Walking Tacos…blast from the past

Tags:

Pin It!

Hey everyone,  Superbowl Sunday is creeping right up on us.  Do you know what you are making?

Let me help with this blast from the past perfect party recipe….walking tacos, they just sound fun don’t they?  I shared this recipe last year and it was a huge success, if you missed it, here you go!  Perfect if you hosting a big party, enjoy.  ps….use any ol’ chili you’d like, my recipe is just a favorite of ours.

You can catch the entire post of the original HERE if you’d like to see a few more step by step photos.  Off to get ready for a day at Disney with the fam!  Have a great Tuesday!  Here’s to hoping I will not consume a dozen churro’s today :)

Here are my guys loving their Walking Tacos!

Walk your tacos to the couch and watch the big game!!

_______________________________

Walking Tacos

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

6-8 little sweet peppers or 1 green and 1 red bell pepper, chopped

4 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1 lb lean ground beef

Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 Cup Herdez Salsa or your favorite salsa

1 small can tomato paste

1 Cup warm water

3 cans of beans, drained (I used black, pinto and red kidney)

1 can black olives sliced

2 Tablespoons chili powder

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon hot sauce, Tabasco

1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice

Pinch of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley (to taste)

1/2 Cup fresh chopped cilantro

Bags of Fritos

Shredded cheddar cheese

Sour cream

Jalapenos, or green onions

1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and peppers for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until browned. Drain if needed. I usually don’t need to for the lean beef. Pour in tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste then stir to combine. Add 1 Cup warm water to thin out slightly then add in beans, olives, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. I start with just a pinch of salt then keep tasting until it’s to my liking. Add chopped cilantro and reduce heat to low to simmer until ready to serve.

2. Open bags of fritos. Spoon in chili, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. Stick a fork in it and eat!!

__________________________________

Comments

Fun! A great casual meal. And the pictures of your boys are cute. =)

Knittinchick says:

I love those sorts of party food. My friends from Northern Mexico taught me this trick but cut the bag lengthwise in order to get better ‘chip coverage’… I like how it opens things up.

Carrie says:

We always do doritos but fritos sound like something I will have to try.

Allison says:

I had never seen this in my 33 years of living in Texas until I visited central Mexico last year, and they were everywhere! Their version was called Dori-nachos — Doritos + nacho cheese + toppings. It’s funny to me that I never considered making these at home for a party. Thanks!

This is definitely the most fun superbowl recipe I’ve seen! Your boys are adorable.

These look so fun and delicious! What a neat idea! And your little guys are sooo cute Jenny! What a darling family you have : )

Cat says:

Oh my gosh, LOVE walking tacos!!! At our house growing up we had these year round not just for football season. It’s fun tasty fun, what not to love?!

Pattyann says:

Oh my gosh! I have never had these. We have all girls left at home, so superbowl is not a big deal for us, but I think we might have to watch a movie together and try these. They look like just the thing for the kids to enjoy! Thanks for the recipe!!

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jenny F. and Taste of Home Mag, Christine Fox. Christine Fox said: RT @PickyPalate: More Superbowl Grub….Walking Tacos, a blast from the past recipe, perfect party food! http://su.pr/4HHwcP [...]

Liz says:

These are awesome – and I missed them last year since I wasn’t a reader at the time. Great idea, Jenny!

Sharlene says:

I’ve never heard of these! So inventive and mess-free! I love it!

i love this! clever. and easy peasy.

Love walking tacos, a portable Mexican fiesta!!!!!!
    I first had one of these at The Covered Bridge Festival and completely wanted to eat another 3 of them right then!

Emily says:

THIS LOOK DELICIOUS! Can’t wait to try it out!

Love this idea! I will have to try it!

looks interesting! must try!

I LOVE your walking tacos idea! Seriously…it keeps dirty dishes to a minimum and it’s a crowd pleaser :)

And your son…is beyond a cutie pie!!!

Stephanie S. says:

we do the same thing here in south texas but just put in chili and cheese and call it frito pie. my canadian inlaws thought it was wacky…until they tasted it and then they were hooked! will be trying this recipe soon!

Stephanie S. says:

oops…just read the recipe all the way thru. your’s is chili too! walking tacos…frito pie…it’s all delicious!

Love those cute boys with their big cheeks! Such a smart idea!

Susan Buentello says:

As Stephanie S. says, in Texas we call these Frito Pies, but you open the bag lengthwise! I’m almost 60 and I’ve been eating these for about 58 years! :-)

Michelle says:

Thanks for the great idea! Sounds yummy (and easy!). Your link to the previous post doesn’t work though and I’d love to see more pictures! : )

Jillzy says:

Oh my, this brings me back to elementary school years when the cafeteria staff served us their version of “Traveling Nachos”! Sooo delicious (yes, even cafeteria food can be scrumptious). They used their own meat/cheese sauce and poured it into a mini Doritos bag. LOVED when it was time for them to be served on that day. :)

I remember these! glad you brought them back. My husband would request this every night for dinner =]

Alisa says:

I have never tried this but it sure makes for easy snacking :)

Oh my gosh, coolest idea ever =)

beatrix says:

Really cool idea.

[...] on a desert island and could have one food,  it would be tacos!  When I saw this idea on the blog, Picky Palate. I knew I had to share with you guys! This is a super fun idea for Super Bowl [...]

Megan says:

Walking Tacos were always a big hit with the kids at summer camp. We also used nacho cheese doritos. We would have them chant “Crunch Them Up! Open Them Up! Hold Them By The Bottom!” I look forward to trying it your way as well.

[...] Walking Tacos from Picky-Palate! Such a fun idea I never would have thought of! [...]

My kids would love this. Your boys are so cute. I want to come to Disney with you! Play date?

Vasu says:

What a cute idea!

Casey L. says:

Our school cafeteria served these but they weren’t as delish as this recipe. I loved them so much in school that they’re a staple in our house on nights I don’t feel like doing much!

These really are a blast from the past! I remember my high school selling these at lunch time!! We make something very similar at my house with Doritos…I love the extra bit of cheesiness you get from them. Healthy? Um…no. Delicious? Absolutely!

Charlotte says:

Oh my goodness. I had plans to make chili this weekend. I think I may try this instead. LOVE your blog!

[...] am oddly fascinated by this recipe I saw today on picky-palette.com. Walking Tacos by [...]

Shannon says:

We call these Frito pies. Walking Tacos are made with Doritos and taco meat and all the toppings you would put on a taco. Never heard of them till I went to Iowa/Missouri. The concession stands serve them at sporting events!

My husband is from Knoxville and this is really the only reason that I know this little bit of info… These are called “Petros” and got their start in Knoxville at the 1982 World’s Fair. Later on the couple that had the concession at the world’s fair opened “Petros” in mall food courts… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petro%27s_Chili_%26_Chips

Connie says:

Kids must love these! What a clever idea and one to keep the dish washing at bay!

[...] another snacky idea for a Superbowl party! Remember Walking Tacos? Ditch the plates and dishes at your Superbowl party and have your guests mix these [...]

Martha says:

Frito Pie, it’s called. An old favorite from my Texas childhood.

You are in reality a excellent webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a wonderful task in this subject!