May
2011

Restaurant Style Carne Asada Soft Tacos with Guacamole and Corn

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

It’s almost Cinco de Mayo!  Any excuse to make Mexican food, is a great celebration to me!

I developed a simple and completely flavorful marinade for carne asada beef or flank steak,  that marinates for an hour,  is grilled for a few minutes and presto,  restaurant style carne asada tacos are ready!  I hope you guys can find this tortilla bread that I have pictured below.  It makes the best soft tacos ever, no joke.  If your grocery store carries them, it will be right by the other tortillas.  I am crossing my fingers for you!!  If you don’t have any luck, use a traditional taco size flour or corn tortillas :)

Be sure to take a peek at my Creamy Salsa and Black Bean Nachos that I developed for Kraft as well :)

Break out your sombreros, maracas, chips and salsa, it’s Mexican night!!

Left: Tia Rosa Tortilla Bread, onion, garlic, avocado, carne asada beef (flank steak), red bell pepper, ground cumin, corn, olive oil and lime juice

Here’s the beef, it will come in one rectangular piece that you will later slice :)

Let’s start the marinade.  Chop your onion and garlic.

Add some lime juice to olive oil.

Now add your cumin, salt and pepper.  Give it a good whisk.

Grab a big ziplock bag and add your onions/garlic, beef, and marinade.

Give it all a good swish inside the bag, zip it up and let marinade for about an hour.

I tossed mine on my grill pan, but feel free to use the ol’ outside grill if you’d like.

After about 3 minutes, give it a flip and grill for another 3 minutes :)

Always let your meat rest for a good 5 minutes, it brings all of those juices back throughout the beef.

Use a sharp or serrated knife and cut thin slices on the bias like I’ve done here :)  Oh and lick your fingers to get a preview, this stuff is delish!

It’s not a taco without some guacamole right?!  I like my guacamole simple with just some lime juice, salt and pepper, but get as crazy as you’d like :)

I mixed a half can of corn with 1/2 cup diced red peppers for some pretty color and texture to put on top of the tacos.

Here you have a darn good carne asada soft taco, dig in!

Restaurant Style Carne Asada Soft Tacos with Guacamole and Corn

1 tablespoon lime juice

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 cup yellow corn

1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper

4 soft tortilla bread

1. Place oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl, whisking to combine. Place beef, onions, and garlic into a large zip top bag and pour marinade inside bag. Close top of bag and with hands, massage beef with marinade to coat evenly. Place in refrigerator and marinade for 1 hour.

2. Heat oil in grill pan over medium heat. Grill beef until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut thin slices against the grain or on the bias.

3. Place avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until well combined.

4. Place corn and peppers into a medium bowl, mixing to combine.

5. Place beef slices, a dollop of guacamole, and a spoon of corn and peppers into soft tortilla bread. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings

_______________________________

Have a fabulous week!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Jenny they look wonderful. I can totally see the “soft” in the soft taco. Love how you tied the tortillas. Makes photographing them easier, huh. And how about gorgeous photos…wow!

These sound so delish. Something we would surely love!

HA! love the “here’s the beef” line…awesome :) and i love how you tied up the taco with the husk! such a beautiful touch!

Wow, awesome recipe! This might have to be my cinco de mayo dinner!

love how you tied them. so cute

This looks fabulous! I’ll have to add this to my shopping list today!

Amanda N says:

We LOVE carne asada in our house. Although we’ve got a carneceria not far from us that packs it in fresh marinade for us. Cheating? Sure, but it’s delicious!

I love everything about these- especially that tortilla bread! I had to crack up at your little ties around your tacos though… I had that same problem trying to photograph my fish tacos the other day when I used thick corn tortillas. They wouldn’t stay closed for my photo! I opted for a toothpick. Didn’t think of raffia :)

I think I might be making this for cinco de mayo but with chicken of course

Erin says:

How I love this already and I haven’t even tasted it. I love how having my birthday the day before Cinco de Mayo I get to enjoy all kinds of great food! Can’t wait to try this one out myself!

Brooke says:

For the love. I’ll take Mexican anyday. But THIS looks especially incred!

MsBrownBird says:

Wow, that looks amazing. I would definitely be making this for Thursday if I didn’t have 10 pounds of chicken I needed to use up…

[...] Carne Asado Soft Tacos with Guacamole and Corn by Picky Palate [...]

EatLiveRun says:

Yum! I have a big ripe avocado just waiting to be cut into and I think this is the perfect recipe to use it in :)

Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!

Jessica says:

Looks very tasty. I love corn in tacos too! Your tutorial pictures are really good, count me impressed!

marla says:

As a meat and avocado lover, I am all over this! Perfect for warm weather outdoor parties :) xo
    Gorgeous clicks too!

what great little purcels of flavor: que buenos! :)

Katrina says:

These DO look restaurant style! Love this.

rachel Dell says:

my mouth is DEFINITELY watering right now. mmmmm i love me some mexican food.

Tracy says:

These look soooo delicious! Wish I had this for dinner tonight!!

Molly Carter says:

YUM, Jenny! I love anything Mexican. I wish I was having this for dinner.

Amy says:

I’m going to have to look for that tortilla bread next time I go to the grocery! They look delicious!

jamie says:

Wow, looks so good. I have not seen that tortilla bread before. I am going to start looking for it!

JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

Kerry says:

Oh my, I have never seen tortilla bread. That looks like a taco from my dreams. I am totally making this next week!

Yoly says:

It looks delicious!!!!

Gwenevere says:

Your photo of this post from tastespotting brought me here however it was your photo of the ingredient list that prompted me to comment. It looks like you have a Bosch and a kitchen aid. My third kitchen aid recently died and as I promised myself, I replaced it with a Bosch…I make a lot of bread. But I’m kind of missing my kitchen aid. Do you find that you use both or does one go unused compared to the other?

I have to say I use my Kitchen Aid far more than my Bosch, however I love my Bosch for bread making and also for making large batch of cookies. There’s no comparison it’s better for those things. Not sure if I could decide between the two :) Best of luck to you!

Liz says:

Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! Thank you for this tasty looking recipe. I enjoy your blog and am always looking to it for inspiration.

Julie says:

Any tips for easy cleanup of your grill pan? I have a small grill pan like yours, but I never use it (*gasp*) because the cleanup is such a pain. (i.e., scraping crusty bits off the pan for hours). Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks, and I love, love, love your recipes.

Amanda says:

Oh my gosh, girl.. These are absolutely gorgeous! I’m going to keep a lookout for that tortilla bread! :)

jackie says:

Oh just beautiful. I bet delish too! Must keep an eye out for that bread.
    : )

Heather says:

These look amazing Jenny! And the photo are absolutely gorgeous! I’m going to have to keep my eyes open for the tortilla bread. Sounds delicious!

Pretty, pretty, pretty. Now if I could just eat one (or five)! Tying it up with a corn husk is a lovely touch, too.

Pick me up off the floor. They look utterly delicious. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get the wraps you have here, though I’ll have a look (we live on an island in Scotland, so only have 2 grocery stores to choose from :) Also, the beef…. I’ll have to check online what we’d call this cut.

Desperate to try this….

[...] Restaurant Style Carne Asada Soft Tacos, from Picky Palate [...]

[...] stomach flu, I don’t think we should celebrate with typical Cinco de Mayo fare….. Like THIS ONE that I’m positively [...]

Julie says:

I made these tonight for Cinco de Mayo and they are absolutely delicious and so easy! Thank you for the wonderful recipe. (I also have the same question about grill pan cleanup that a previous “Julie” posted. Any tips?)

Awesome Julie, so glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe! As far as clean up, put about 1 cup of water into the grill pan and boil for 5 minutes or so. This will loosen all those bits that get stuck to the pan. Hope this helps!!

Awesome good that I want to eat now. And your preparation was well presented.So who can say no not to crave for your asada. I already added you to my favorites. Good luck!

jason says:

looks good. But what’s tortilla bread and where do you get it. It looks like pita bread. Is that the same thing?

Sara H. says:

Love this recipe and can’t wait to try it. Love your grill pan – where did you get it?

Hi! This is my first time to the site and I must say that this post looks amazing!! I love all of the step by step photos and I must get my hands on some of this fluffy bread for soft tacos. The bread was what attracted me in the first place!

JillA says:

My 2nd attempt – I am excited to try the recipe and am also in the market for a good grill pan. Would you mind sharing which one you have pictured in the photo? It appears to be rectangular. Is it a one-burner (or two-burner) version? I like the side spouts. It doesn’t look quite like a Le Creuset. Please do tell! I noticed that a few others are also asking. Hopefully I didn’t miss the answer.

Happy Cinco de Mayo
    Jill

Gwenevere says:

we had these for dinner tonight and yes, your marinade and my husbands grilling expertise was better than a restaurant. If you don’t mind, I’d love to post this on my blog sometime in the future. It was so good.

PancakeNinja says:

These look so good, I have to make them!
    Love your photos too.

Those tacos look so good!

Kate says:

These look delicious! I’m having trouble finding tortilla bread though, where did you find yours?

[...] salsa. I happened to have steak on hand so I chose to do a carne asada marinade that I found online. The recipe says to let it marinade for one hour but I marinated mine all day and I think it helped [...]

[...] 3Tacos w/Rice, Beans,  salsa [...]

certainly like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality nevertheless I will certainly come again again.