Jun
2011

BBQ Chicken Polenta Pizza Cakes

Tags: , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Ahhh, finger foods, one of life’s little pleasures.  I have a weird thing for grilled polenta, it really is so good if you haven’t tried it before.  I decided to top my polenta cakes with some BBQ chicken, fresh mozzarella cheese and a touch of cilantro.  These little appetizers are perfect for any party or even lunch.

Go find a tube of cooked polenta at your grocery store, it’s usually by the pasta sauces and pasta.  Use any left over chicken with BBQ sauce (Click HERE for my recipe for homemade BBQ shredded chicken) for the topping or your grocery store usually has a refrigerated prepared BBQ shredded chicken.

Hope you enjoy!!

Simple line up of ingredients, Left: BBQ chicken, fresh mozzarella, polenta and cilantro

Here’s the polenta, I sliced it into 1/2 inch slices to get ready for the grill pan.

About 2 cups of cooked, shredded BBQ chicken.  I used a package from Trader Joe’s, however HERE is a simple homemade BBQ Sauce recipe of mine if you wanna go homemade :)

Some fresh mozzarella cheese.

I drizzled in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and placed the sliced polenta right into the ol’ grill pan.

After about 4 to 5 minutes, give em’ a flip.

Top with a spoonful of BBQ chicken.

Top with a 1/2 slice mozzarella cheese.

Place under your oven’s broiler for 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese melts….then enjoy!

BBQ Chicken Polenta Pizza Cakes

1 pound/tube of polenta

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 cups cooked/shredded BBQ chicken

12 1-inch slices fresh mozzarella

12 individual cilantro leaves

1. Preheat oven’s broiler with rack places 5 to 6 inches below heat.

2. Slice polenta into 1/2 inch slices. Place oil into a grill pan over medium heat. Place polenta slices into hot grill pan and grill for 4 to 5 minutes, until slightly browned. Flip and top with a spoonful of BBQ chicken then a slice of mozzarella cheese. Grill for 4 minutes then place under broiler until cheese is melted. Top with a cilantro leaf and serve.

12 servings

________________________

Have a great rest of your week and come back soon!

Comments

Jenny they look so good and full of great flavor with the bbq chicken. But I LOVE the melted mozzarella action, for sure :)

These do look delicious! What a great little treat as an appetizer or even a meal if you have a few with salad:-)

Katrina says:

Mmm this sounds awesome. I love polenta!

Jill says:

This looks great! What a different idea. We found Polenta recently and really enjoy it. I’ll have to try this one.

These look delicious. I love how easy they are to assemble.

holy delicious! what a cool bite you just made…i love them!

These sound delicious, and simple! I love this idea.

jenna says:

this looks like such a fun mixture of flavors and textures!

This is absolutely amazing!

Melanie says:

When I saw the title, I thought, “Oh that sounds so delicious, but I’m sure it will be too difficult for me to make.” It looks so easy though. I’m so impressed. I’m definitely trying this one!!

Jen says:

WOW! I have to make these! They look so good and so easy. Definitely would be a winner in this house! Thank you for the idea.

XO
    Jen

Meg says:

What is polenta? It looks really good, but I can’t tell from the picture what it is. Please explain!

Lindsey says:

I have never tried grilled polenta, but after drooling over these pics I have to give it a try! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Would you believe I have never had polenta? But with this recipe looking so good, it may be time I try it :)

Stacey W. says:

Where did you get that pan?

Hi Stacey,
      It actually came in a gift from BlogHer Food a couple weeks ago, but it is by Cuisinart. You can look it up online :) I will be doing a giveaway with one very soon too!

holly says:

Looks delish!! Love the grill pan-I want one soooo badly:)

Jessica says:

Uh. YES, Please! This sounds delicious Jenny!

Emily says:

What a fun and easy appetizer! I love polenta and can’t wait to try this!

You’re such a genius. I never, ever look at that kind of stuff at the market and think I can combine them to create something fun. I go the more difficult route!! Ugh. I love my grill pan!

These look so delicious! I love polenta and stack that with bbq chicken, I’m sold!

birdie to be says:

This sounds so good! I will have to make this for sure!

Urban Wife says:

Thanks for the recipe! I was searching for a quick appetizer and this fits the bill. :)

Those look delicious! I’ve been wanting to make something yummy with polenta and cheese. I think I might create something similar for dinner tonight. You’ve definitely inspired me :D

Does the polenta get crispy at all, or does it stay fairly mushy?

These sound awesome! Are they sturdy enough to pick up with your fingers?

kimberlycun says:

hmmm i never warmed up to polenta, but i’ve never had them grilled either. thanks for the idea!

I love polenta! Cute pizza cakes!

CookiePie says:

Perfect and delicious! I would like these right now! :)

leslie says:

Ohhh yes please! me and polenta get along VERY well!

Clare says:

Wow, these are genius! They look so good!

Karly says:

Ooh, what a fun alternative to regular pizza!

I LOVE polenta! What an easy and delicious recipe – I am going to add them to my list to make, yummy!!!!

Elise says:

I made these this weekend for a Graduation BBQ and they were a complete hit! Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe- thanks for sharing!

Tracy says:

These are so cute and fancy! Love ‘em!

Sarah says:

I have to be honest, I’ve never cooked with polenta before. I think I was waiting to stumble upon the perfect recipe that just made that crazy food makes sense to me. This is totally it! Bookmarking! Thank you!

The truly dangerous thing here, is how much I LOVE every single one of these ingredients =P