Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches from Disneyland
Tags: chocolate, peanut butter, graham crackers, summer
I am without a doubt a chocolate and peanut butter fanatic. When I first devoured this treat from Disneyland a few months ago, I knew I had to go home and make my own version. It is too good to only enjoy at Disney
To celebrate the first official day off of school, the boys and I celebrated at Disneyland earlier this week…one of our favorite places ever!
Here are some photos of our day (then the recipe at the end)…most of these photos are from Instagram on my Iphone. Do you guys use this app on the Iphone? I am in LOVE with it and use it seriously all the time! Find me, I am under “pickypalate”…shocker, lol!
Love you Disneyland!
Love Main Street and boy it’s busy during the summer.
My little stinkers If they wanted a treat later, they knew they had to let Mommy take some pics. Haha.
Love the Penny Arcade.
We started on the Buzz Lightyear ride, the line usually goes pretty quick
Then we popped over to California Adventure.
We went on Soarin’ Over California which is my favorite ride. I could ride it all day!
Passed by this cute boy band, lol
Went on the new Little Mermaid ride. No joke, this line went on forever and after the ride was over, both my boys said…..that was lame! It definitely is better for girls…I loved it
Headed back to Disneyland to get some lunch, love the castle!!
Enjoyed some grub at the Golden Horseshoe.
Got a kick out of the silly hillbilly show
A nice girl took this photo of the boys and I getting ready to enjoy our bakery stop!!
Ahhh, Pooh Bakery in the corner of the park by Splash Mountain. It’s a must try if you are going to Disney!
The beloved Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich from Disneyland….let’s see how my homemade version compares….scroll down.
I was very happy with my homemade version! You can’t tell very well in the “Disneyland” version, but there is a thin layer of chocolate between the peanut butter and graham cracker. Mmmm
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich…Picky Palate’s Version
- 3 cups good quality chopped milk chocolate
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 12 halved graham crackers
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- Melt chocolate and shortening over a double boiler, stirring to melt. I use a small saucepan, boil water, reduce heat to low and place a heat proof bowl over the saucepan then add my chocolate, stirring until melted.
- Dip each graham cracker into chocolate and let set up on wax or parchment paper. Stick in the freezer for a few minutes to speed this up. Spread 2 tablespoons (or a cookie scoopful) of peanut butter over the top of each dipped graham cracker then place in the freezer for 10 more minutes. This step is important. While the peanut butter is freezing, remove chocolate from heat and stir, so it cools slightly and thickens up a touch. Slowly and carefully spoon melted chocolate over tops and sides of peanut butter. This is where the patience and work comes in. Use a small spoon working the chocolate around the edges and sides. You’ll then use a little plastic knife to run the chocolate around the edges and clean it up a little. Let set up, (stick back in the freezer for another 10 minutes) then with a spoon, drizzle chocolate over top to get the “lines” you see in the pictures above. (If your chocolate is too thick at this point, set it back over the double boiler so it melts a little bit).
- My reviews…Definitely keep these chilled just like Disneyland does, they melt rather quickly once your fingers get on them. It was tricky to get mine to look quite as pretty as the Disneyland ones, but with a little patience you can do it! Have fun and keep them chilled!
Makes 12 sandwiches
Have a great rest of your week, come back soon!