Aug
2011

Cream Cheese, Caramelized Onion and Bacon Quiche

Tags: , , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

What a great weekend Amanda and I had in San Diego. We went to part of BlogHer but mostly ran around town finding the sweetest of bakeries and restaurants. It’s always a blast when we get together. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the post to see some of our adventures I snapped through Instagram :)

Today I am sharing with you my Cream Cheese, Caramelized Onion and Bacon Quiche.  I prepared this for the Real Women of Philadelphia and Goodbite where you can watch a step by step video how it’s prepared.  Watch the video HERE.  This is one quiche you do not want to pass up!  Hope you enjoy :)

Cream Cheese, Caramelized Onion and Bacon Quiche

1 refrigerated 9-inch pie crust

1/2 pound bacon

1 large sliced white onion

8 eggs

1/4 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

5 ounces softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon, stirring until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard drippings. Add onions and cook, stirring until onions are golden and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Unroll pie crust and lay inside and up edges of prepared pie plate. With fork, poke holes in bottom and partially bake crust for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.

4. Add eggs, milk, salt and pepper to a large bowl, whisking to combine. Layer cooked onions over bottom of partially baked crust and top with bacon pieces and cream cheese pieces. Pour eggs over bacon and top with cheese and parsley. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until eggs are set and edges are browned. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.

Makes 8 servings

_______________________________

San Diego Weekend…..

Before Amanda and I even checked into our hotel room we made a pit stop for one of our favorite cupcake shops called Elizabethan Bakery.  It is tucked inside a nursery and has some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had.  The best part is they make most of them in baby size too so you can try one of every flavor :)

We arrived to Hotel Indigo which I LOVED and had this gorgeous view of the city.

Here’s the lobby and a shot of our room.  Love those beds.

Here we are, snapping pictures as usual :)

Heaven Sent Desserts was the highlight of my weekend.  Scroll down and you’ll see why.

These photos don’t even do the desserts justice.  They were gorgeous and perfect.

We took a stroll through Seaport Village and stopped at their new cupcake shop called Frosted Robin Cupcakes.  It was the sweetest little shop.  Such great colors.

Love it.

Can you believe we had room for yet another bakery this weekend?  Well, we did.  This one was called as you can see 85C Bakery.  It’s a Taiwanese Bakery with incredible treats.  We didn’t know what half of them were, but man were they good.

Get a load of the gigantic cream puff to the right.  That baby was to die for.  Ok, now I am going to workout, lol!

Have a great week, come back soon!

Comments

Kathryn says:

Wow, looks like you guys had an awesome weekend (and so much cake!!)

I am so happy that you and Amanda had a blast down here in San Diego (been following all your instagram and twitter updates) and that you’re now up in the OC having more fun! The two of you are adorable in all the pics!

And holy moly..how is it possible that you know about more San Diego bakeries than I do…and I LIVE HERE!? Ha! That’s so awesome and I will be checking out 85C.

I had my baby shower at Extraordinary Desserts; a relative of sorts of Heaven Sent.

Today I posted about a recipe I adapted from you. It’s possibly the best dessert/bars I have ever made :) Thank you for the inspiration!

Caramelized onions: you are speaking my language!!!

Looks like you had a fabulous time in San Diego!

man, i want to go on trips with you guys! you two always stop at the greatest places and i’m always hungry after seeing the pictures :)

jenna says:

sounds like the perfect weekend!! all of the cupcakes and desserts look stunning!

i love quiche! i love that you put in big chunks of cream cheese! Makes for a fun suprise

Lori Lange says:

Fun to see you on Friday night, but wish we had more time to visit. I’m so sad we weren’t able to meet up w/ you on Sat. Glad you had fun though. It was a thrill for my kiddo to finally meet you :)

Kerry F says:

You and Amanda have become two of my favorite blogs! I was looking all over BlogHer hoping to run into you, but there were so many women there! It was amazing! Glad you had a great weekend in SD!

Such a fun weekend wit yummy food! I live in San Diego and have never been to any of those! I have heard of them, but never gone…and now you have convinced me :) There is also a place in SD called Viva Pops, where they make the craziest flavors of popsicles! You will have to try that place out next :) Glad u guys had fun!

Yum! Great recipe. And the pics look like you ladies had a delicious trip

sweet sugary heaven jenny! wow.
    you 2 gals sure know how to get around. LOL

Lydia says:

Looks delish! I am going to try it. Thank you!

Oh bother. This is just silly, i was browsing my bookmarked recipes for a good quiche recipe this morning as my mum requested it but i couldnt settle on one so have ended up making a moroccan chicken dish instead (she will be saddened when she gets home from work i fear…!) However this looks PERFECT and i will have to claw back the brownie points by whipping it up asap :)

and those bakery shots…my goodness, yes please!

Cheri Fleuelling says:

My mouth watered when I saw the Cream Cheese, Caramelized Onion & Bacon Quiche. However, in the ingredient list I didn’t see the quantities listed for the bacon, onions, and eggs. Did I miss something??

I’m dying to try this!! Love your recipes/blog. It’s my go-to place for deliciousness.

Thanks, Cheri

Cheri Fleuelling says:

Hi Jenny, OOPS. I went back to the recipe and the ingredients are on the same line as the pie crust. YAY! I’m into the kitchen to make this gorgeous dish.

Glad you had fun in San Diego. I love my home town, too!

Bev Weidner says:

Fabulous! I love all the instagram shots. Love the tint, the vintage-esqueness.

Yeah, that is SO not a word.

Jenny,
    Sooo glad you had a great visit in SD. I can’t believe I live here and have never heard of 85C or Elizabethan. I can’t wait to try them both out. If you come down again and have some free time, try out “Acuzar” in Ocean Beach. It’s one of my favorite bakeries ever. It’s French/Cuban fusion.

Marty says:

Reading your post and viewing your pictures is ruining my will power to stay on my diet! Every sweet you posted from your trip looks so decadent!

Blond Duck says:

I don’t know what looks better–the quiche or the trip!

What a great trip and a delicious quiche! My husband would go crazy over that one! :-) Yum!

MikeVFMK says:

What a trip, Jenny! I’m not a big quiche person but caramelized onions and bacon make everything better so I might have to try this. Glad you girls had fun!

Desserts galore! I’ve been feasting my eyes on your Instagram updates. So drool-worthy :D

Dee W. says:

Thanks for posting this. We love quiche but I haven’t made it in a looong time.

Kirbie says:

That’s amazing that you still had time to check out 85C. And wait in those long lines! I still have yet to check out Elizabethan Bakery but it’s on my list.

That looks A-mazing!!! And how *cute* are you and Amanda?!? I’m not sure you had enough sugar, though! ;)

Niki says:

Yum!! I’ve been omelette obsessed lately, so this fits in well! I normally make the same quiche recipe, but this one sounds perfect for me!

Aimee says:

I used to live in Newport Beach and I would frequent 85 Degrees Celsius in Irvine! So good!

Dmarie says:

definitely bookmarking this quiche…I think I need to make it very SOON! thanks!

Oh happy days! Love the quiche and the SD views :) Miss you girl! xxoo

Haley says:

Wow! I made this over the weekend and My husband and his brother and I were in total LOVE! I can’t wait to make it for more of my family. I think the carmelized onions really add something to the dish! Thanks for your many delish recipes!

Jennifer says:

Jenny, I made this for dinner last night and I think I want to make it again tonight!! It was DIVINE! The only change I made was to add a splash of balsalmic vinegar to the onions as they were cooking and it was …. amazing! Thanks for all you do :)

aya says:

mmmm i like it 8D

Magnoliatn says:

HUGH success! Added some frozen/un-thawed/dried Spinach; stirred in with onion during last few minutes. Very nice as it added color as well. Next time will try using my cookie press/cake decorating tool for the soften cream cheese. Thanks for sharing!

lisa says:

looks delicious!! do you think it would be okay to prep everything, do the partial crust bake, pour and refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning?? not sure if that would mess things up or not with the crust….