Sep
2011

Chicken Parmesan Skillet Pot Pie

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

I have a thing for pot pies :)  They are the ultimate comfort food right?

This pot pie is not your traditional pot pie, but a Chicken Parmesan Skillet Pot Pie :)  You wanna know my favorite part of this dinner?   It takes about 5 minutes to get into the oven.  I LOVE dinners like that!  It also comes out looking fantastic and quite impressive.

With school back in full swing, I like to have quick and easy dinner recipes on hand to feed my hungry boys.  Hope you enjoy!

Here’s your line up.  If you want to simplify this recipe even more, use your favorite jar of pasta sauce instead of the can of crushed tomatoes and seasonings :)  Your call.

Here we go.  Start with your tomatoes.  You don’t even have to heat anything on the stove top first.  Love it!

Add some Italian Seasoning.

Like so :)

Add some kosher salt.

….and some fresh ground black pepper.

Give it all a little stir to combine.

Use about 3 cups shredded cooked chicken.  I shredded a rotisserie chicken for this recipe.  Nice and easy.

Add it to the sauce.

Give it a little stir.

Add some Parmesan cheese.

…and lots of mozzarella :)

Time for the pie crust.

Roll it over and press the edges around the skillet.

Cut some slits into the crust.

Like so :)

Brush a light coat egg wash over your crust.

Top with a little Italian Seasoning.

….and a little Parmesan cheese, now it’s time to bake!  40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Ahhhhh :)  I like to let the pie sit for 10 minutes before serving.  Gives the filling time to set up a touch.

Chicken Parmesan Skillet Pot Pie

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie)

1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 refrigerated pie crust, room temperature

1 egg white

1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Pour tomatoes into 9 inch cast iron skillet. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Add chicken and gently stir to incorporate into sauce. Top with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.

3. Unroll pie crust and lay over chicken and cheese. I pressed the edges around the skillet, but feel free to tuck it inside the skillet if you desire.

4. Whisk egg white with 1 teaspoon water and brush a light coat over crust. Top evenly with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

______________________________________

Have a great day, come back soon!

Comments

I love that purple brush you used…so cute!

And I am jealous of all the natural light in your kitchen. No matter the time of day, my kitchen is NEVER that pretty with light streaming in.

Great pics & recipe, as usual!

Loving this pot pie, it does remind me somewhat of a pizza. But then in pie form! Will try it for sure.

I am also a big fan of pot pies and casseroles — they are so easy to make and I love having leftovers for lunches and those late nights when no one wants to cook.

I’m with you. Pot pies are such amazing comfort food. Mmm…this is a great twist! :-)

what a fun take on pot pie! definitely an ultimate comfort food :)

Karly says:

Simple and delish! Never thought of baking a pot pie in the cast iron skillet before. That’s kind of brilliant.

Michelle says:

Awesome… this would also work great for hamburger pot pie too! Think I just came up with my supper for tonight! Thank you for sharing!

You’re so good at that one dish dinner kind of thing. That’s SO not my thing! I want that purple brush!!

Crystal says:

This looks amazing! Adding it to my list!

stephanie says:

I dont own a cast iron skillet. Is there any other type of pan you can use to get the same results? Thanks!!

Melanie says:

I was thinking the same thing! I bet a round baking dish would be just fine. I have a cast iron skillet, but I don’t like using it.

Hi Stephanie, a 9 inch cake pan or other round dish would work just fine too :)

• Amanda says:

A Babycake Maker does wonders on little pot pies. I found this site searching for more recipes for it. Great investment.

Barbara says:

I say get yourself a cast iron pan, AND a cast iron dutch oven! (Respectfully, of course) Nothing cooks like cast iron. I use my cast iron for pan pizza too. You can’t beat it for slow cooking, or for searing meat. I’m sure you can make this without for now, but keep an eye out at yard sales (the older the better). I’m a cast iron pot freak, have been for 30 years.

Oh my goodness! This looks so tasty! I love the idea of an easy skillet pie! I bet I could edit it to be a regular chicken pot pie too… great idea, now I just need a skillet…

Melanie says:

I can’t wait to make this! Great idea, and easily modified to ANY taste!

This looks great! My kids would love this

Gorgeous! What a fantastic idea!

Kristen says:

My fanily will love this! Thanks!

What a fantastic recipe! I love one-pot dishes like this that are just bursting with flavor. A few minutes work and dinner’s in the oven. Gotta love it.

Sarah K. says:

I just got my first cast iron pieces and I think this may be the perfect recipe to break them in! Question… I read that acidic ingredients like beans and tomatoes aren’t great for cast iron, do you find that to be true, did your tomatoes taste funny? Other sites say it’s great to use them becasue they up the iron content of that acidic ingredient. Thoughts?

Deborah says:

I love easy dinner ideas like this! It sounds like a perfect comfort dish.

Emily says:

This is brilliant! And I just bought myself a shiny red cast iron skillet so this may be my maiden recipe. Yum!

sandra says:

I love that it’s one big family sized pie. And how quickly does it come together?! Yummy idea.

Awesome recipe – I love how it is perfect for the coming colder months and doesn’t take much effort to make. I love chicken parm and it’s a great idea to make it into a pot pie!

This looks great! And seems simple too, yum! =)

Sheila says:

your food always looks great! Glad we can’t gain weight from pictures :-)

Sharon says:

This is two of my favorite things combined… I love chicken parm and love pot pies, oh and I am on a big comfort food kick and this fits like a glove lol. Can’t wait to try this one!!

this looks really nice! i can smell it

What a scrumptious looking recipe. The presentation looks great!

Chelsea Strong says:

I just pulled my pie out of the oven! It looks and smells delish. I just used a regular pie pan – I don’t have a skillet. Thanks for the dinner idea. :)

I just bought my first cast iron skillet (yes, I’ve been hiding under a rock) so this would be the perfect recipe to test it out with!

jenna says:

what a great recipe for busy weeknights. cast iron skillets are amazing, aren’t they! everyone needs one.

Cari says:

You know, I bet puff pastry would work well too instead of pie crust.

Erika says:

Ooooh this looks so yummy and comforting. I will definitely be making this soon! Thanks for the recipe ;-)

morgan rayl says:

QUESTION?……we dont eat tomatoes here at the house (citrus allergies) But we LOVE Alfredo Chicken Parm. Do you think this will with Alfredo sauce on the bottom?

Jenny, this looks fabulous and what a great one-dish meal!

[...] recipe for Chicken Parmesan Skillet Pot Pie from Picky Palate looks fantastic.  And the method is cool too.  My brain has been thinking of all kinds of [...]

Jana says:

What a great idea. Easy and delicious I’m sure. And the possibilities are endless, I’m thinking upside down pizza myself!

You know, this really sounds good. I love chicken Parmesan and make it often. However I like your twist on this dish.

Ohhhh my…. this looks so amazing… wow! And so quick and easy too!

Jen says:

this is my kind of dish .. throw everything in and pop it in and that is it!! Love it! thank you so much

Curt says:

You got me on the lots of mozzarella!

Kita says:

Dear God this is a work of pure genius!

Lisa says:

I love this idea! This would be great to prepare in the afternoon and then just pop it into the oven…what a quick and easy dinner, thanks :)

Ariel says:

You have Cutco!!!! I love mine! I used to sell them too :)

Wow! Your photos are amazing! Every time I cook I think to myself…I need to take pics. Love your blog!

Andi says:

In the over right now! Can’t wait to try it!

Kelli says:

WOW. I made this last night after seeing the post (my sister-in-law was the creator of the frozen latte cake in the same spread)! It was so delicious and easy and best of all, my kids loved it! What do you think the best way to reheat a serving is? I hope the crust doesn’t get soggy. Oh, and I made it in a deep dish stone pie dish because my iron skillet was accidentally left with a friend last time we camped. :(

Jerry Hingle says:

I like the idea of this dish. It’s comfort food with an Italian twist. That’s a lot of ingredients, though.

Taylor says:

this looks really good! but it does seem kind of messy. i was wondering if it would work to put a layer of pie crust at the bottom, before you put in the tomatoes and everything else?

Dawn says:

Oh wow, that looks amazing! Thanks!