Feb
2012

Simple Creamy Carrot Soup

Tags: , ,

Dinner

One of my favorite cafe’s to eat at is called Le Pain Quotidien in Fashion Island Mall.  It is this adorable French cafe with a killer menu.  I would say one of my favorite things to order is their perfect carrot soup.  It is creamy and perfectly seasoned.

I came home one afternoon determined to re-create their carrot soup.  I am happy to say it is delicious and pretty darn good for you!

If you haven’t had carrot soup before, you must try it.  It really is dreamy :)

Hope you enjoy friends!

You’ll start with 2 pounds of carrots, peeled.

Cut them into 1 inch pieces and add to a hot pot with some olive oil.

Add a couple sprigs of fresh herbs.  I used rosemary and thyme.

Onions and garlic please :)

Once your carrots are tender, remove herbs and transfer carrots and veggies to your Blender.

Blend on soup mode and add your chicken broth.

Transfer pureed soup to a large saucepan and drop 2 bacon strips inside for a hint of smoky flavor.  Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.

Ahhhh, dig in!!

Simple Creamy Carrot Soup

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 pounds peeled carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces

1 large onion, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 sprig of fresh thyme

1 sprig of fresh rosemary

32 ounces chicken broth

2 strips precooked bacon

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

1. Place oil in large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 15 minutes, until carrots are fork tender. Remove herb sprigs and transfer carrots and vegetables to blender (I used our Blendtec). Puree, using the soup button. Add chicken broth and continue to puree. Transfer to large saucepan over medium heat and add bacon strips. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Simmer until ready to serve.

Makes 6 servings

_______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Jenny this sounds so good and your photos in this post are truly stunning. The napkin with the fringe is PERFECT for the scene and it’s like those antique spoons with the orange in them were made for this soup. Truly gorgeous..both the photos and the recipe.

Delicous, hearty, and healthy!

this sounds so comforting and healthy!

Lauren says:

That is a great trick with the bacon! Yum!

Cassie says:

I am salivating over here. This sounds so incredible, Jenny!

I adore carrot soup, it’s so hearty and comforting!! That little tid bit at the end with the bacon – – never tried that, but it’s a fantastic idea :)

Gorgeous. I think I need you to start making my lunches!!

Hannah says:

Recipe looks great, I’m the only carrot lover in my family, how could I make a single serving if this just for me? How many carrots? And other ingredients? Like measurements?

Looks delish! Love the vibrant color.

Jessica says:

Gorgeous photos Jenny! And I love that there is no actual cream to make this creamy soup! :-)

I’ve never done bacon in carrot soup and I’m thinking I need to start. I love Le Pain Quotodien, too. Their tuna and hummus tartine is so. darn. good.

Priyanka says:

The photos are stunning….making me hungry for carrot soup :)

MikeVFMK says:

Love my soup and carrot soup looks just as amazing as it must taste. Love seeing the savoury recipes on here, especially when they’re as gorgeous as this! Yay

Donna says:

Dumb question: What happens to the bacon strips? Are they just there to flavor the soup and then you remove them or do 2 people get the joy of having a slice of bacon in their bowl? (I’m assuming you don’t cut the strips up.) Thanks for answering me. :D

Carrie says:

I made this tonight!!! It was fantastic and filling without being heavy. Yum!!

I have recently discovered organic carrots. I’ve always liked carrots, but now i love them! I think I’ll have to give this a try..thanks for this wonderful recipe! :)

Becky Yoon says:

Mmmmm… this looks lovely~ Carrots are so healthy – good for your eyes. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos and recipe ^^ It looks quite doable as well!

I wondered what I was going to do with the uber bag o’ carrots I had the Mr buy last night for a mere 2 carrot need. Thanks! I can also give the new food processor another workout! WOO HOO!

This soup looks amazing! I love re-creating restarunt dishes at home :). I must give your carrot soup recipe a try!

Looks Delish!~ I love carrot soup. Blender stick works great too instead of the blender, although you have a gorgeous blender!~

Bakeaholic says:

This soup looks delicious. I would never think to make carrot soup, but I will definitely try this. I love that it’s healthy (except for the bacon). Yum!

Joss says:

mmmm this looks amazing and blendtec blenders for the win! Love mine :D

Megan Pence says:

*blink*blink* I think I’m in love.

My husband will flip over this soup! Can’t wait to make it!!

ravi39501 says:

lovely soup. i rally loved soups

What a gorgeous and creamy delight!

Elise Laina says:

Amazing soup! Made it last night for friends, we all loved it. thank you!

Elissa says:

We had this for dinner tonight, though I forgot the bacon. It was delicious! My two year old asked for seconds!

Ashley Ruth says:

I just made this today, with some adjustments for what I had on hand. I used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and dried herbs and onions instead of fresh. I also didn’t have bacon. Yet it turned out GREAT, so I can only imagine how awesome it must be with the broth, bacon, and fresh accents. MMM…so glad I found this recipe! :)

[...] upon a carrot soup recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to make it! I made a few tweaks to this Simple Creamy Carrot Soup and it turned out absolutely [...]

MaryAnn says:

Pinned it, made it, loved it! :-)

anita says:

a little late to the party but i love this recipe! it is now my go-to base carrot soup recipe. thank you for sharing :) i’ll have to get myself over to the Le Pain Quotidien at the Americana soon!

Kellis says:

What do u do with onions? Do they go in the blender to?