Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Apr
2012

Classic Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Remember that cheesy chicken and rice soup I posted on Instagram Sunday…..well, I wasn’t planning on posting the recipe, but y’all were adamant about getting it :)

Never fear, I’m always willing to share my recipes!!  You just won’t see a whole bunch of step by step photos for this one ok?

These photos of the soup are from the next day, so it looks thicker than usual which I love!  You can easily thin it out with  little splashes of milk.  We devoured this soup with no problem, can’t wait for you to try it!  It’s homemade, full of veggies, chicken and rice.  Yum!

Classic Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 stalks of celery, chopped

3 large carrots, peeled and chopped

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

32 ounces plus 16 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth

2 cups shredded mild cheddar (I use Tillamook)

1 teaspoon hot sauce

3 cups cooked shredded chicken

3-4 cups cooked white rice

1/2 cup sour cream

Additional salt and pepper to taste

1. Place oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add onion, celery and carrots, stirring and cooking for about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Once veggies are tender, reduce heat to low.

2. In a separate large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until thick and bubbly. Slowly whisk in 32 ounces chicken broth. Increase heat slightly and keep whisking until broth gets thick and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Once thick, reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until smooth then add hot sauce. Add cheese sauce to veggies then add cooked chicken and rice. Add remaining 16 ounces of chicken broth and sour cream to soup, stirring to combine. According to your preference you may want to add more broth or milk for a thinner soup. Stir, taste and season with additional salt and pepper according to your liking. Reduce heat to low and serve!

Makes 8 servings

_______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Nicole says:

Looks so yummy!

Karen says:

Wait, so it’s a total of 48 ounces of broth? And how much sour cream? Looks amazing!

This looks totally divine, i am so glad you decided to post it on your blog!

Deborah says:

You’ve gotta know that if you post it on IG, people are going to want it! :) Love this and definitely bookmarking the recipe!

This is one of my favorite soups! Rain is coming Wednesday, so I must make it! :)

Mariah says:

Oh, I’m so making & eating that! Looks delicious!

Oh yummmmmmmm! “Cheesy” grabbed me in, “Chicken” got me hooked, and “rice soup” was the final straw. I NEED to make this!

talk about comfort food! i would swim in a bowl of this right now :)

this look so comforting and delicious!! i love thick soups like this..i will totally be making this sometime soon :)

Funny how things that you don’t think you should or “need” to blog about, those are the things people really want…and yes, this looks soooo delish & comforting!

Tara Lynn says:

YUM! Thanks for sharing! Nothing beats some homemade soup. I may have to try it out this weekend.

Kameron says:

you’re the best!

thanks for the recipe – I think I just found dinner for Sunday! homemade bread and we’re done. :)

I’ve been gaping at your yummy dish for minutes! Wishing it would pop out for me to eat it. I think to settle my cravings is to try it. Oh my so yummy looking! =)

Kristen M. says:

This looks fantastic! My boys will love it. I am so glad you posted the recipe. :)

Here I thought soup season was almost over but we have had some lovely cooler days the past few weeks that makes me want to run and make a big ole pot of some hearty warm soup! This recipe looks like it will fill that need!

I love thick soups like that! A total meal :)

Kim B. says:

LOVE soup recipes & can’t wait to try this one! Looks SUPER yummy :)

Bev Weidner says:

OH good grief I’d give ANYTHING for a trough of this.

Chels R. says:

This looks perfect for dinner tonight!

Yum! This looks like great comfort food

April says:

Aloha Jenny,

It’s never soup weather here – so we just pretend! I made this soup today – BIG HIT with my daughters! Thank you for the inspiration once again.
    April

We’ve had a couple of chilly days here..this would be perfect! I like the thick soup part too. :)

Oh yummy! Cheese, chicken, and rice. Sounds perfect to me!

Nina says:

I have everything but the cheese to make this in the morning. Could I substitue it with another?

I’ve been adding cheese to everything lately – it always makes a dish taste that much better! This looks so tasty :)

Carrie says:

Looks amazing my beautiful friend. Glad you gave in to your fans pleas. congrats by the way :)

Jessica says:

Oh man! I could dive right into the center of that bowl and be a happy girl! :)

When I saw this soup on Instagram, I knew that I needed it in my life. I cannot wait to try it!

Tammy says:

This is amazing! I’m eating it as I type. :) I added less rice and chicken but otherwise followed the recipe.

[...] what better to go with grilled cheese than soup?  And cheesy soup, at that.  Like this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup from Picky [...]

Shelly says:

This is excellent! It’s great comfort food but imo it’s more of a casserole, not a soup. Also, it took me up until almost the last step to realize I make something very similar only using egg noodles rather than rice. (with a few different ingredients as well) One bit of advise, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but when I make it again, I will probably use a rotisserie chicken from the deli instead. I will also use mushrooms next time too.

Lori says:

There’s a typo about the amount of broth you need for the recipe in the ingredient list. I made it with 32 oz and it just turned out a little ticker than traditional soup. Still very yummy!

Hi Lori, in the instructions I state to add 16 more ounces to the soup, but didn’t have it in the ingredient list. Just edited that! Thanks!

[...] Classic Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup | Picky Palate [...]

[...] comfort food: Cheesy Chicken & Rice Soup. I want this soup like, yesterday. Gah, I want to face plant in [...]

Heather says:

Made it tonight, it was a hit! Thanks!

JW says:

I wonder if this could be done in the crock pot, and just adding the cheese, sour cream and rice in the end?

stella says:

is the celery much important

health,basketball,sport,soccer,football,golf,forex,investing,investment,money,travel,tour,holiday,health,culinary Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel strongly about it and enjoy learning much more on this subject. If achievable, as …

Thanks for taking the time to talk about this, I feel strongly about it and enjoy learning much more on this subject. If achievable, as you gain experience, would you mind updating your weblog with more details? Its very useful for me….

Brenda says:

I think I found this on your pinterest board, or facebook. I follow you on both and check your website often. I did not prep anything so I made it all at one time for dinner. It took a lot of work, and it was well worth it. My husband loved it. I filed this under my recipes to make again. Thanks for another great one!

Brianna says:

This is the best soup I have ever tasted definetly making this a monthly meal!!! <3

This is the right web site for anybody who wants to find out about this topic.
    You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).

You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic which
    has been written about for decades. Wonderful stuff,
    just great!

darlene says:

This was wonderful. Thanks for posting.

[…] Classic Cheesy Chicken & Rice Soup from Picky Palate […]