May
2012

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

This dinner makes me so happy.  It’s pure comfort food in a skillet, so you might want to make it asap for your family.  You are likely to have most of the ingredients in your pantry which is always nice!  I honestly use my cast iron skillet on a weekly basis.  They run about $20 bucks!

This is a nice and thick rice dish that is hearty and rich.  I like to top mine with a few dashes of hot sauce, oh baby it’s good!  Hope you enjoy friends :)

Let’s render the bacon.  I chose the applewood smoked bacon, highly recommend it!

Nice and crispy :)

You guys are going to be pros at making roux, I’ve been using my cheese sauce so much lately.

Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper then slowly whisk in the chicken broth.

Once the chicken broth is nice and thick, add your cheese.  Mix until smooth.

Add a few dashes of hot sauce.  Any of your favorite brand works.

Give a nice stir.

Once your bacon fat is drained from skillet, add 2 tablespoons back to pan and add your cooked rice.

Add 2 cups cooked shredded chicken.

Time to add the cheese sauce baby!

Give a nice mix.

Add a little more cheese on top.

Like so.

Now…add that cooked, crumbled bacon to the top and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Ahhhh, there we go :)

Ahhhh, ready to eat!  Top with some hot sauce and enjoy!

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon

1/2 pound Applewood Smoked Bacon

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1-2 tablespoons Hot Sauce

2 cups cooked shredded chicken

4 cups steamed white rice

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Render bacon, drain and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.

2. Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to high whisking broth until thickened. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Stir in hot sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and set aside.

3. Place reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings back to cast iron skillet. Stir in cooked rice. Add chicken and cheese sauce, mixing to combine. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese then top with crumbled cooked bacon. Place under oven’s broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Makes 4-6 servings

Comments

Georgiana says:

Holy tamoly, this looks AMAZING! I want to dive right into that frying pan! (As long as it’s cooled down a little. I mean, I’m not crazy…) Also, do you remember where you bought that bowl? I love it!

Priyanka says:

Wow…wonderful recipe and great pics. I just wanna grab that bowl :)

Oooh, I love a dinner that only dirties up one pan! AND… I ALWAYS have leftover rice & chicken. :) Thank you!

Mmm, it’s like chicken bog meets bacon breakfast!!! :D Looks fantastic!

You’re killing me with these cheesy savory I WANT 13 BOWLS OF THAT dinners, girl.

But really, about those 13 bowls.

jenna says:

now this is what i call comfort food! :) looks delicious jenny!

I have not even had breakfast yet, and now all I want is a big plate of this. It looks delicious!

Whoa. I want this, like right this very second. I know I will be dreaming about it ALL day!

Lauren says:

Sounds amazing with all that BACON! Mmmm….

Jennifer says:

Definitely going to have to make this one! Looks like I need to go purchase a cast iron skillet! :)

Oh my heavens. All of that bacon and cheese look like HEAVEN!

brandi says:

I have to try this weekend!!!! Looks so good and you are right I have everything!!!!

I am DROOLING. This looks DIVINE. Looks like it would also kill me with the amount of fat in it (me and fat aren’t friends these days, not by choice either, by way of my fat-digesting organ no longer being a part of me) but perhaps I could make it for my family and take some small nibbles. That’d be okay, right?

Rachelle says:

YUM this sounds good! I love that cheesy rice. I wonder if it’d be good with those diced breakfast potatoes w/peppers instead of rice? =)

Jennifer says:

Looks fantastic! It’s difficult to go wrong with cheese, bacon, chicken, and rice. All wins for me.

Sarah says:

This looks amazing! Your chicken looks seasoned, can I ask how you prepared your chicken for this dish? Thanks!

Shaina says:

Dinner perfection. I’m sort of in love with rice bakes. With bacon? Oh my.

Stephanie says:

I’ve never done this with bacon before, only ground beef. I may have to switch the ground beef out for bacon after this post!

Yum! This looks great! Putting this on my list. P.S. I love your design and cannot wait for your cookbook!

This looks amazing! Perfect for my weekend decadent dinners :)

I am going to have to make this for my kids! Hope you’re dong well! Miss you

Michele says:

I have the same exact skillet as you do and just got it for my birthday a few months ago!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe Jenny! Thanks for sharing it. Your pictures are such a tease ;)

Connie says:

Bacon, cheese, chicken and rice? Yes, please. This looks super-filling and comforting. Thanks for the idea.

Are you kidding me? This looks insanely delicious, like all my favorite foods in one crazy and simple dish! Thanks so much Jenny!

Chels R. says:

I would really love to make this for dinner tonight! Loving this!

Hmmm, you do like your cheese, don’t you! And now you’ve added bacon. Gotta taste good.

Keep writing…

Jeri Wendzel says:

Looks yummy! Thanks for telling me what’s for supper this weekend! BTW, when you print the recipe, the ads DO print. Just FYI. I am also going to try this with brown rice…boost the health factor a bit……’cuz I might add a slice or 2 or 3 more of bacon. :)

I love the cheese and the crispy bacon on top. With some hot sauce…. getting a growl from my stomach. Delicious! =)

Nikki says:

This looks fantastic! I’m going to make it for dinner tonight :)

Just an FYI – when I printed it via clicking your print button, that version is missing the 2 cups of chicken in the ingredient list.

Jeri Wendzel says:

Just noticed that mine did that, too! I was wondering where the chicken was in the dish.

This looks so great Jenny! Who doesn’t love an uber bacony topping with cheesy rice and chicken?! I would have more than 2 bowls, for sure!

All that bacon looks delicious!!

Brenda says:

OH MY! Give me bacon, cheese and a cast iron skillet … I am a happy girl!

This looks soooo good I can’t even talk right now. Wow, super easy too. Love that cute little cast iron skillet for this recipe too. great post.

[...] Bacon…skillet…RICE…CHEESE….OMG. [...]

Omg…i look and ths and die… So yummy!!!

Holy moly Jenny…. this looks insanely cheesy and good!

Tobasco-y chessey sauce with rice, chicken and bacon, you’ve got to be kidding me. This looks like a dream in a skillet! Pinch me. YUM!

Ginger says:

This is the perfect dinner! I love the simplicity of cooking in the skillet. I can’t wait to try it out!

Alyssa says:

Can’t go wrong with all that cheese and bacon…YUMMY!!!!

Ashley says:

What kind of cheese do you use? Sharp, mild, also is there also a certain brand of cheese you perfer?

This looks so mouthwatering, Jenny! The perfect weeknight meal – quick, easy and super flavorful!

This looks and sounds (and smells) amazing! I only hope mine comes out looking as good as yours. I’m making it right now! Smell the bacon in the air.

That bacon looks phenomenal!

Desirae says:

Trying this one for my picky 5 yr old grandson. Looks wonderful! Question: After I purchase a cast iron skillet how do I prepare it or cure it before use? I know uou are supposed to do something to a cast iron skillet before cooking with it…

Jeri Wendzel says:

There are usually directions that come with the skillet to tell you how to season it.

Ashley says:

This looks amazing!! So making this this for dinner one night :) what size skillet did you use?

Gayla Jones says:

So inexpensiveness all the ingredients that my hubby likes this is whats for supper

Gayla ;-)

This looks so good! I love chicken and rice recipes!! :)

Jenny, this looks amazing…and so easy to boot!

Esi says:

You just can’t go wrong with bacon and cheese :) This looks so comforting and decadent