My Southwest Buttermilk Baked Chicken Thighs are packed with Southwest flavors the whole family loves, and it only takes 10 minutes to prepare! These oven baked chicken thighs make the perfect dinner all year round.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
You are in for such a treat with these oven baked chicken thighs! This simple chicken recipe is a must make. Literally in the oven in 10 minutes. No fuss chicken that is so tender, you barely need your fork. With just a few pantry staples you are likely to have on hand, you’ll have a new dinner recipe in no time. Hope you enjoy!
What You’ll Need
You’ll need some easy to find ingredients to make oven baked chicken thighs. Be sure to see my recipe card located at the bottom of this post for full details.
- boneless skinless chicken thighs– Look for chicken thighs near the chicken breast in the meat department of the grocery store. Get the package that is boneless and skinless.
- cumin– Ground cumin can be found in the spices section of the grocery store. It is aromatic and a delicious smoky spice on chicken.
- paprika- Paprika is another great spice that is perfect on chicken.
- garlic salt– Look for the Lawry’s brand of garlic salt, it’s my favorite.
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a bit more coarse than the traditional table salt. I prefer it in my cooking and baking.
- black pepper– For best tasting results use freshly ground black pepper.
- buttermilk– No substitutes here, use the real buttermilk you get in the dairy section near the milk.
How To Make Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken thighs into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Seasonings. Place cumin, paprika, garlic salt, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Mix to combine then sprinkle over tops of chicken thighs.
Buttermilk. Pour buttermilk over top, cover baking dish loosely with tin foil.
How Long To Cook Chicken Thighs
Cook. Cook for 1 hour. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite roasted vegetables and salad if desired.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Prepare the seasonings for oven baked chicken thighs in advance to save some prep time.
- Don’t substitute the buttermilk. Use real buttermilk from the dairy section, not the powder you mix with water.
- The chicken thighs make great leftovers, shred the chicken and use for another dinner later in the week. It’s great in pasta, salad and sandwiches!
How To Serve Chicken Thighs
I served our chicken with a variety of roasted vegetables such as asparagus and even corn on the cob. Oven baked chicken thighs are also delicious with baked potatoes. Simple and satisfying, perfect for a home cooked Sunday dinner or any night of the week. Enjoy!
Refrigerate. Serve any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheating Instructions. Reheat chicken on a heat proof plate, loosely covered in the microwave for 60 seconds, or until hot.
Try More Chicken Recipes
Southwest Buttermilk Baked Chicken Thighs
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken thighs into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place cumin, paprika, garlic salt, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Mix to combine then sprinkle over tops of chicken thighs. Pour buttermilk over top, cover baking dish loosely with tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite roasted vegetables and salad if desired.