Jun
2012

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Tags: ,

Desserts

A couple weeks ago I had to decide what dessert to make for a friend who has a gluten free diet and I was completely stumped at first.  What could I possible make with no flour?!  After picking my brain, I thought hey why not a flourless chocolate cake?!

Since I am no gluten-free baker, I used the help of Epicurious.com for this one and adapted it slightly.

I was so pleasantly surprised at how simple and fudgy delicious this cake was.  Kind of brownie like consistency.  I would recommend it for sure.  My only complaint was how thin the cake was, so be prepared for that.  I found that once I put it onto a cake stand and dusted it with powdered sugar and raspberries, it looked great.  I might even double the recipe next time for a thicker cake.

Hope you enjoy!

Pardon my Instagram Photos here, but you’ll start by placing your chocolate and butter over a double boiler until melted and smooth.

Mix your chocolate with sugar, eggs and cocoa powder, then transfer to your springform pan and bake!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Adapted from Epicurious.com

5 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 stick (8tablespoons) unsalted butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3 large eggs

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line an 8 inch springform or tart pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick cooking spray.

2. Cut up chocolate into small pieces and place over a double boiler with butter. Stir until melted. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in sugar, eggs and cocoa powder. Pour into prepared springform pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until baked through. Let cool for 10 minutes then release springform pan. Let cool completely before cutting into wedges.

3. Dust with powdered sugar and top with raspberries. Serve room temperature.

Makes 8 servings

__________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

I’ve made flourless chocolate cookies and flourless brownies, but never cake…but I guess maybe there’s not much difference between a “Cake” and a brownie when there’s no flour…all I know is that your cake looks delish and I’m craving chocolate now :)

sreebindu says:

that looks incredibly simple :) Chocolate chocolate and only chocolate, found you through amanda :) Following you :)
    xoxo

Kathryn says:

I love flourless chocolate cakes, they have such a great depth of flavour and a perfect texture.

This cake sounds super awesome! Yum!

This is my kind of gluten-free dessert!

Oh yum! This looks divine and super chocolatey. A lot of gluten free desserts I bake are with almond flour and tend to taste less decadent and more like a “healthy” dessert. This looks like it’d be delicious for both GF and non-GF family and friends in my life!

kara says:

Love flourless cakes. I would suggest, tho, that instead of doubling the recipe, you make 2 cakes and layer them if you want more height. I’ve found that doubling flourless recipes often means they don’t cook right.

I would also prefer it thicker, so maybe making a second and adding some frosting in the middle? :)
    But it looks awesome anyway!

Amanda says:

Gorgeous cake, girl!! Looks decadent!! :)

Mmmm…I ADORE flourless cake! Definitely a perfect option for GF friends. This looks beautiful! :)

Beautiful cake! Maybe separating the eggs and whipping the egg whites (then folding into the batter) would give you a little more height to the cake.

As a newly GF person, love that this is flourless!!

Gluten free! Nice! This looks delicious :)

Looks perfect, Jenny! I have a lot of friends living the GF life and I know they would appreciate me baking this up for them, since htey usually can’t enjoy my goodies. Looks sinfully delicious.

Shari says:

King Arthur Flour has a truly decadent truffle-like flourless chocolate cake recipe on their website. Gluten free, super easy, and covered in chocolate.

ooooooh pure evil :) it sounds SO good!

So pretty and I love the cake stand!

Dora L Gillilan says:

Also would be good for Diabetics who are not suppose to eat white flour. I am going to try with a sugar substitute.

Can you believe I’ve never tried flourless chocolate cake before? It sounds amazing, and your version looks so pretty on that cake stand! Just beautiful :)

That cake looks amazing! And I LOVE that cake stand too!!! :)

JENNY!!!! YOU MUST, MUST, MST TRY THIS ONE NEXT TIME. ALSO DELICIOUS!!!!! MY HUBBY IS GF SO I AHVE TRIED NUMEROUS FLOURLESS CAKES…THIS ONE IS HIS FAVE!!!! XOXO http://gfcookiesxo.blogspot.com/2012/04/flourless-chocolate-cake-with-fresh.html

I love this! this has such simple and easy ingredients and it’s GF!! looks so delicious and i would eat that entire cake in a sitting!

Love flourless cakes. I made one for my family a few years ago and I remember it being a big hit. Yours looks heavenly, will have to give it a try :)

di patrick says:

Thank you so much! What perfect timing. I had to make treats for the librarians at our local library today. One has Celiac’s and I have no experience with gluten-free baking. All the recipes I looked at called for special ingredients that I didn’t have on hand, so when I saw your post I was thrilled! It made a beautiful dessert. I topped it with fresh strawberries. Perfect!

Looks great! The little raspberries on top are a lovely addition. :)

marla says:

Hi Jenny!! Such a wonderful dessert to make for a GF friend. Perfect for all chocolate LOVERS!! Miss you girl!

I have yet to dive into gluten-free baking, but this cake looks like the reason to start. I’ll bet every bite is a fabulous rush fudge-y chocolate.

Oh yum! This looks sooo good and easy. I’ve never made a flourless cake before.

looks amaaaaaazing!! i wish i could grab a slice through the screen! haha thanks for sharing!

Lynna H. says:

Sometimes I want to make GF foods too since too much gluten is unhealthy…LOL. i guess I got lucky that you posted this! hehe~

Yummy!!! I wish I could preorder your book but I don’t know how much it will cost me as i’m in Europe.

Blanca says:

Read this recipe at 10pm tonight and am biting into decadence at 11:25pm. Easy, simple, mess free and tasty! Thank you for a gluten free treat!

My best friend is gluten free AND a cake lover – I have saved the recipe to make this for her birthday next week! Thanks for sharing :)

Julie says:

What a fabulous and pretty dessert. My sister is gluten free and her birthday is next weekend, I’ll be making this for her! I’m thinking I’ll make two and layer them together with homemade whipped cream in the middle and perhaps a chocolate ganache on top? Thank you thank you!

Theresa says:

I haven’t tried a flour less cake, chocolate or otherwise. But that batch sure looks yummy. Would it have a cookie like consistency then? Just curious because the cake is rather tin and looks like a big cookie sliced like a pizza.

Jim Denforth says:

awesome, thanks for this! Great food sensory !

Christine says:

Can these be made individually, in a muffin pan?