Jun
2012

Peanut Butter Bananas Foster French Toast

Tags: ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Hope everyone had a beautiful weekend.  We are FINALLY out of school around here.  Seems like we were the only school on earth still in session.  My boys are thrilled to sleep in and stay up late this summer :)  I am officially 7 months pregnant.  I liked the 2nd trimester much better, lol!  A few more months to go.  Can’t wait to meet our new little guy.

Ok, onto the French Toast!  When I was in Kansas City last week, some of you may have recognized that I enjoyed a Bananas Foster French Toast for breakfast in my hotel room.  It was so amazing that I was determined to come home and make my own version that we could all enjoy.  Let me just tell you, I did it and it’s even better.  AND it’s a breeze to make.  Let’s take a look.

Let’s start with the egg/cream mixture for the toast.  Do NOT substitute that heavy cream.  It’s a must my friends.

Eggs, cream and brown sugar into the bowl.

Add your cinnamon then grab a fork or whisk.

Mix it all together.

Melt  some butter into your hot skillet.

I used a lovely cinnamon bread from the Farmer’s Market, however use what you like.  Dip it on in.

Make sure to dip both sides then transfer to your hot skillet.

Sizzle sizzle for a couple minutes.

Check to make sure that bottom side is nice and golden.

….and flip to get that other side :)

Once all of your bread has been “French Toasted” let’s start the best part of the recipe.  The peanut buttery creamy sauce.  Some pure maple syrup please.

Swirl in and melt your peanut butter. MMMM!

Once the peanut butter’s melted and bubbly add a splash of vanilla.

Stir in some heavy cream.  Oh yah!

Dont’ forget those nanners.

Give them a stir into that fabulous sauce.

Ok, it’s ready to be slathered over your toast!

Tada’ Now grab a fork and dig in :)

Ridiculous in the best way possible.

Peanut Butter Bananas Foster French Toast

4 large eggs

1/2 cup heavy cream (do not substitute)

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

6-8 slices bread (cinnamon bread, brioche, French)

6 tablespoons butter (for skillet)

1 cup pure maple syrup (do not substitute)

3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

1 teaspoon pure vanilla or rum extract

1/4 cup heavy creamy

2-3 cups sliced bananas depending on how many you like

1. Preheat large skillet over medium heat.

2. Place eggs, cream brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. One at a time, dip each slice of bread, both sides into egg mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of butter into hot skillet to melt, swirling pan. Add egg dipped bread slice to skillet, cooking 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer cooked piece of toast to a clean plate and repeat this process until all bread has been used.

3. Place maple syrup and peanut butter into a skillet over medium heat. Stir to melt peanut butter into syrup. Stir in vanilla then heavy cream. Let mixture bubble for about 5 minutes, stirring often to thicken. Add sliced bananas and cook for 1 minute. Pour peanut butter syrup sauce and bananas over warm French toast. Serve immediately.

Makes 6-8 servings

Comments

I love bananas foster, caramelized bananas, and really any way to make bananas with sugar (and some rum!)..I am very happy about!

The peanut buttery creamy sauce looks so good, Jenny!

Irishbaker says:

That looks amazing!!

This looks so awesome! Love it!

I’ve already had breakfast and am ready to eat again now. This looks amazing…my mouth is watering!

Jessica J says:

I’m always on the lookout for French Toast recipes, my husband and I love French Toast! This is going to the top of my list of must-try’s!

I love how easy this is to make…and it’s beautiful!! Looks like it took all morning :)

SO excited to see your little guy!! Get some rest, mama!!

Bravo on the recreation! This looks absolutely amazing!! So glad that KC could be the inspiration, too. ;)

Great breakfast treat! I posted a pb recipe today too! I can never get enough pb!

marla says:

These pancakes remind me of New Orleans ~ awesome Jenny!

That sauce. That SAUCE! I might serve that on everything from now on!

Lauren says:

I’m seriously just DYING over this!!

Oh Jenny! This looks amazing!

Caley says:

I don’t even like bananas, but this looks great!

Mmmm!! If only breakfast looked like this everyday ;) – - I think this is necessary for the upcoming weekend.

This peanut butter creamy sauce sounds so amazing!

Yum! I am adding this to me faves to try this weekend. :-)

Jennifer says:

Wow! This looks fantastic!

oh my gosh… this looks heavenly. peanut butter banana is such a winning combination. love the way you present your food, always so comforting and inviting. great post!

OH. YUM!! this recipe looks so incredibly delicious! what a way to start the day!

Diana says:

These look so good making these for dinner, yes Breakfast for dinner. I just pre-ordered you book yay!

naomi says:

Um, just awesome Jenny! Breakfast dessert is always a good idea!

Ok, who do I hire to come make this for my every morning from now on?? Any takers?? :)

Karri says:

My husbands family always puts peanut butter on their french toast. I think I’ll need to try this for them!

YUM! I haven’t had french toast in forever and was thinking of making it this week. Now it looks like I need to make it this week.

Looks a delicious summer breakfast! Tell your kids not to feel too bad, I work for NYC schools and we are not done until Wednesday :-(

Kristen Mattern says:

Yay for Summer break! Your boys were not alone. My son’s last day of school is tomorrow. It has been the longest school year ever!

VickiT says:

Oh my! Would it be wrong to make that right now? For supper? LOL that looks SOOOOOOOOoo good. I absolutely love Bananas Foster and before a local hotel closed and then closed, they had a fabulous chef that would come tableside during their special holiday buffets if you ordered the dish and make it right there for you at your table. It was such a great treat. I’m so sad they closed and that was the only place near here that even has that on their menu. :( I’m a very good cook and don’t know why I’ve never bothered to make it myself because it really isn’t that hard. But NOW? Oh yea, I’m going to use this recipe to make something very similar for breakfast. YUM! Thank you.

Oh man, this looks insane!

sara says:

Mmmm, I love french toast – this one looks super delicious! Great way to make it really special!

Mmmmm! I never even thought of using cinnamon bread for french toast! What an awesome idea :) Your version definitely looks like a winner!

Lynna H. says:

Good thing I bought so bread and bananas at the grocery store today…because I am SO making these!

Oh my lordy! The toast is cool..but lets talk about that golden Olympic first place status sauce? I want that on everything, even my french fries ;)
    I have to treat the kids with this at the weekend…

Jennevieve says:

This was breakfast this morning! I used my own homemade whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread. The kiddos loved it! Though I did have to cater to my younger son and serve his up before the bananas went into the syrup. I don’t even like bananas, but decided to take a risk and ate it the syrup with them. Holy cow! Thanks for another delicious gourmet breakfast recipe to spoil my family with!

Jennevieve says:

By the way, I did not have any heavy cream. I know you said no substitutions, but this recipe just couldn’t wait! So I used a little whole milk and some sweetened condensed milk for the french toast batter and some evaporated milk in the syrup. Delish!

Lynne Laino says:

Dear Lord this looks ridiculously amazing!!!! I’ll be making this on Saturday morning!!! Thanks Jenny!

Amazing! The sauce looks too good! Really great photos. :)

Kimberly says:

Looks divine! I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow! You are so creative.

[...] what you really want to read about, some delicious breakfast! I was inspired by this Picky Palate recipe I saw this week, but wanted to keep my version fast and [...]

Bananas Foster French Toast is one of our favorites! We always enjoy it for special occasions like Christmas morning or birthday!

Ricky says:

OMG, those look so delicious! Like you, I have a huge weakness for peanut butter! I must try this on my next “cheat day”! I just returned from Maui and made something similar for breakfst while we were there. We went to this teeny little village of Kahakuloa to seek out Julia’s Best Banana bread at this little green fruit stand. It was so delicious that I was inspired to make french toast out of it!! Bananas and honey on top and it was sinfully delicious! Though it required a stop at the resort’s gym later that day, lol!

Crystal says:

Oh my goodness! We just had this for breakfast all the way in Botswana Africa! And I can guarantee it was just as delicious. I’m with Shelly above – I may serve that sauce on everything from now on. Yum!

Ashley S. says:

OMG! I grew up eating peanut butter on my eggo’s as a child, and would always mix more PB with the syrup! I still do it to this day (with pancakes too :) This just gives me an excuse to make french toast now ;)

Haywood D'Jablomi says:

I hate it when someone says “Do Not Substitute” as if they are the only authority. Especially when they follow it with misspellings and nonsense, like “1/4 cup heavy creamy” how long does it take to milk that out of your husband?
    I’ll cook however I like.

[…] I made Banana Foster French Toast for my dad today with the cream that didn’t whip ~ BANANA FOSTER FRENCH TOAST: – Adapted from: http://picky-palate.com/2012/06/25/peanut-butter-bananas-foster-french-toast/ […]