Jan
2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Sweet Maple Icing

Tags: , , , ,

Desserts

I think it’s obvious I like making different variations of sheet cakes.  I’ve done this ONE, this ONE and this ONE, lol!  I’m happy to add one more to that tasty list that I call my Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Sweet Maple Icing.  Um….it’s fabulous.  It was so good I had to get it out of my house immediately, because I couldn’t stop munching on it every time I passed by the kitchen.

Yah, yah, yah, I start with a cake mix.  I know some people are anti-mix, but I happen to be all for it from time to time.  There are times when you need a great recipe in a pinch and they come in awfully handy for those times.

Let’s take a look :)

Here’s a look at most of your ingredients.  There should be a bag of powdered sugar in the picture.

Grab your favorite mixing bowl and start by adding your cake mix.

Add a lovely egg.

Some very softened butter and 3 large mashed bananas.

Mix her up.

Add in your favorite chocolate chips.

Oh yah!

Transfer to a 1/2 sheet baking sheet.  I like to line mine with a silpat liner but parchment paper works too.

Spread evenly, just about to the edges.

There we go!  Time to bake.

Gently golden and baked to perfection.

While the cake is cooling, work on the frosting.  Super simple….powdered sugar, heavy cream and maple syrup.   It’s finger licking amazing.

Time for the cake :)

Spread ever so evenly.

I had some cute white sprinkle balls in the pantry I thought looked fabulous on the white icing.

Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Sweet Maple Icing

Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake 1t Ingredients

• 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 large over ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 6 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup white sprinkles

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 1/2 sheet baking pan with a silpat liner or parchment paper, sprayed with cooking spray.
  2. Place cake mix, egg, butter and mashed bananas into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine then stir in chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet and spread evenly almost to edges. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until baked through. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
  3. Place powdered sugar, cream and syrup into a large bowl, whisk until smooth and desired consistency. You may add additional cream and or syrup to thin out more if needed. Spread over cake evenly and top with sprinkles if desired. Cut into squares and serve.

Makes 16 Servings

Comments

Jenny this is so perfect for last minute things or when you have a million bananas to use up! (like I do right now!) A great, moist sheet cake is always a win!

I could totally use this for breakfast right now. My coffee just doesn’t taste right with a breakfast burrito…it needs something sweet! :D

I love sheet cakes – especially when they contain chocolate chips! YUM!

Oh my word, Jenny! This looks amazing!

Naomi says:

For the record Jenny, I would have gladly taken this off your hands! Oh mama this looks and sounds delish!

Wow, Jenny! This looks amazing. There’s something about banana cake that comforts me more than any other variety. And your maple icing looks incredible! xo

Does that ever look good, and I love the addition of the maple!

NOthing wrong with a cake mix. I love sheet cakes too…you get so many more servings out of them!!

I love this entire sheet pan of banana chocolate chip cake!! So easy it comes together too! Looks awesome :)

Maple in anything makes me quiver, in a good way :) delicious!

Kim says:

This looks so good..I could maybe make this to send to school for my daughter’s birthday!

these look so amazing! i love the little white sprinkle balls on top!

Amanda says:

Looks and sounds absolutely delicious!!!

Betsy says:

Yum! Do the bananas keep the cake moist? I noticed there wasn’t any oil or water that most cake mixes call for. Can’t wait to try!

marla says:

Deeeee-liteful Miss Jenny. Love that maple icing :)

You had me at maple icing! This looks so easy to make, great for those school bake sales!

Love this cake Jenny!

Loving the banana and maple combo! What a win!

JulieD says:

Looks so good, Jenny!!!

Erika says:

This looks delish! Off to test it out with the browning bananas just hanging out in the kitchen! Thanks for the recipe! ;-)

Amanda says:

This looks so good! Definitely going to have to try.

I had two revelations reading this:

1. I need to make more sheet cakes.
    2. I need to buy a really big bottle of maple syrup.

Looks fabulous!

Those look so good! I am so into anything with maple!

Rachel says:

I love giant sheet cakes like this. I hardly ever think to make them! Bookmarked!

Love how quickly this comes together! Sounds fantastic!

This seems so easy and I wanna eat the batter with a spoon! :p

Pamela S says:

What size is the pan? A 9X13? Or 9X9? I don’t really know what a half sheet baking sheet is!! Thanks.

I prefer to make as much as I can from scratch, but in this busy world with families and jobs sometimes it is just a bit more realistic to get a little help from the packaged stuff. I wish I always had homemade chicken stock around but I don’t so I use the boxed stuff. Sheet cake looks great and sounds delicious. I like the maple with the banana. Nice pics and great post.

Gaby says:

JENNY!! This is sheer brilliance! I need it in my life stat

Oh wow, Jenny, this looks so fantastic! I used to work on a cruise ship and they made the best banana bread with chocolate chips, but I’m thinking your version with the maple icing would be even better. On my list to make!

It looks just wonderful! I’m such a sucker for all things banana!

Tieghan says:

Bananas and chocolate chips rule!

Wow wow wow!! That do looks truly delicious.

Karen says:

Nothing wrong with using a cake mix once in awhile…they can be a lifesaver. I usually pride myself on baking entirely from scratch, but there is a place for cake mixes! You take this one to the top with the maple syrup in the icing and those snowball things…a great finishing touch. Thank you!

This looks phenomenal! Awesome recipe!

Grace says:

OMGSH! I was hesitant about reading this post, because I’m not a big fan of bananas (unless in cookies or bread), and when I finished reading the post, I just about cried! I want that cake!

Sues says:

Wow, this looks decadent! And since it involves banana, it’s totally fine for breakfast, right?? Right??! :)

Jess says:

This looks SO delicious! :)

Banana bread + cake = heaven! These look amazing, Jenny!

Betty R. says:

I made this cake today. It is indeed very moist & delicious! I couldn’t decide about the frosting, so I frosted half with a cream cheese frosting & the other half with maple frosting (I used maple extract instead of maple syrup). They both tasted great, but I think next time I will go with all maple because I really loved the combination of banana & maple. I used only 1 1/2 c. of conf. sugar for each frosting, & it was plenty for us. Thanks for the recipe. It’s a keeper!

[...] Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake from Picky Palate [...]

Jennyroo says:

Hi Jenny, I love your recipes! The Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll sheet cake is a family favourite (my three little boys LOVE it) and I just made the red velvet cake with nutella frosting last week. Delish! I just finished frosting this banana choc chip sheet cake, and I need to tell you that I wonder if your frosting measurements are off? 3/4 cup total of liquid wasn’t even close to whisking to spreadable consistency. It made my stand mixer motor smoke and was a lumpy/chunky consistency. I probably added a total of another 1/2 cup whipping cream and maple syrup and it was still a bit thick to spread.

That being said, the cake looks (and smells) delicious. I’ll let you know how it tastes after our superbowl party. Thanks for sharing with us!

Jennyroo says:

Ack! Okay, the verdict is in. The cake was delcious but the icing was wayyyyyyy to swweet (and we are an icing-loving, pile it on thick kind of family). I wonder if the 6 was a typo and it should have called for 3 cups of sugar? That might be better. Next time I think I make this cake I will go for the vanilla glaze drizzle from the pumpkin sheet cake recipe. Would love to know what you think???? Have a great night! Cheers from Canada (we gave up on the Superbowl after halftime, now it’s off to get the three littles in bed!).

Stacy F says:

What dish or pan can I substitute for a half sheet pan?
    I’m looking forward to making this- it looks so yummy and easy! Love that part!

Nellie says:

Hi! I just wanted to say that I came across your site from another blogger and boy am I luckiest and happiest girl for having done so! You have so many amazing recipes and I especially love the pictures because I need to “see” how things are made in order for me to try my hand at it. I made these deliriously delicious Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Sweet Maple Icing last night for my nieces who will be spending some time with us today – my mouth is watering just thinking about it right now! I wasn’t sure about the icing but after I made it, I couldn’t stop “taste testing” it and had to literally force myself to put it all in tupperware and out of sight otherwise I would’ve easily come close to polishing it all off on my own! Thank you again for this recipe and for your amazing site – I love it all!!

[…] Velvet Sheet Cake by The Pioneer Woman Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake by Two Peas and Their Pod Banana- Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake with Maple Icing by Picky Palate Toasted Coconut- Carrot Sheet Cake by Taste and Tell White Texas Sheet Cake by […]

Dana says:

I used devil’s food cake mix and orange frosting. It was spooktacular!